Second Round

St Mawgan 4-1 Holywell And Cubert

Quarter Final

Foxhole Stars 1-0 Boscastle

Lanivet Inn P-P Veryan

SHOE BOY DUCHY LEAGUE CUP, Quarter Final

Mevagissey Reserves  P-P Lifton 2nds

Sticker AFC 1-1 Torpoint Athletic 

Torpoint XI: M.Westall, C.Westall, T.Copp, D.Rogers, A.Brayson, L.Gibbons, J.Robertson, T.Rowe, C.Bays, W.Ferguson, Z.Rosen 

Subs used: B.Robbins, J.Hill, A.Richardson

Scorer: Z.Rosen

One of the few games on in the league. Off the back of the draw to St Mawgan, Torpoint travelled to Sticker looking to get their title challenge back on track. Early in the game, it was clear that both teams were adamant on playing as much football as they could. Sticker started the contest brighter, their No.10 was dropping into pockets all over the midfield and dictating the play. Torpoint made a few minor adjustments and soon took control of the possession and the game. The first chance of the game fell to Rosen after a neat through ball, he was unable to hit the target as his effort went wide. He soon made up for it those as a through ball from Westall wasn't dealt with by the hosts CB as Rosen hassled the ball away and slotted home from 12yrds. Sticker created chances of their own but the were unable to force Westall into any strenuous activity.

With the second half came the rain and hail. For the opening 15mins, Torpoint utilised Robbins' hold up play to keep control of their 1-0 scoreline. From the 60min however was all Sticker. They continually created chance and chance with Westall keeping Torpoint in the lead with 4 or 5 key saves. Sticker were awarded a penalty on the 80th minute after their young striker was fouled inside the area. Man of the match, No.10 was unable to find the net or target with his strike as he dragged it wide. Most sides would've been disheartened by this, especially being so young, but not Sticker. Their perseverance showed as a clipped ball was taken down superbly by the striker and with his second touch his slipped the ball past Westall and potentially ended Torpoint's title hopes.

Another frustrating week for us as we were unable to put the game away when we were on top, an all to familiar story this year. I was, however, massively impressed with Sticker. They reminded me of my young Torpoint side a few years back. They will trouble a lot of sides with their quality but will see frustration some weeks with the learning that comes with being so young. I really hope they take the step up soon, top club with top facilities and moving in the right direction. Their gaffa is full of passion for the side and I just hope the lads stay and appreciate his efforts.

20 hours ago, L.Gibbons said:

Torpoint XI: M.Westall, C.Westall, T.Copp, D.Rogers, A.Brayson, L.Gibbons, J.Robertson, T.Rowe, C.Bays, W.Ferguson, Z.Rosen 

One of the few games on in the league. Off the back of the draw to St Mawgan, Torpoint travelled to Sticker looking to get their title challenge back on track. Early in the game, it was clear that both teams were adamant on playing as much football as they could. Sticker started the contest brighter, their No.10 was dropping into pockets all over the midfield and dictating the play. Torpoint made a few minor adjustments and soon took control of the possession and the game. The first chance of the game fell to Rosen after a neat through ball, he was unable to hit the target as his effort went wide. He soon made up for it those as a through ball from Westall wasn't dealt with by the hosts CB as Rosen hassled the ball away and slotted home from 12yrds. Sticker created chances of their own but the were unable to force Westall into any strenuous activity.

With the second half came the rain and hail. For the opening 15mins, Torpoint utilised Robbins' hold up play to keep control of their 1-0 scoreline. From the 60min however was all Sticker. They continually created chance and chance with Westall keeping Torpoint in the lead with 4 or 5 key saves. Sticker were awarded a penalty on the 80th minute after their young striker was fouled inside the area. Man of the match, No.10 was unable to find the net or target with his strike as he dragged it wide. Most sides would've been disheartened by this, especially being so young, but not Sticker. Their perseverance showed as a clipped ball was taken down superbly by the striker and with his second touch his slipped the ball past Westall and potentially ended Torpoint's title hopes.

Another frustrating week for us as we were unable to put the game away when we were on top, an all to familiar story this year. I was, however, massively impressed with Sticker. They reminded me of my young Torpoint side a few years back. They will trouble a lot of sides with their quality but will see frustration some weeks with the learning that comes with being so young. I really hope they take the step up soon, top club with top facilities and moving in the right direction. Their gaffa is full of passion for the side and I just hope the lads stay and appreciate his efforts.

Gibbo, I hope you don't mind me calling you that but that's what your teammates were calling and I introduced myself to you at the end of the game calling you the scribe as am I as i manage the Sticker afc website. A great report from you as usual I might add! What a smashing game of football we supporters all witnessed on Saturday. and all the players and referee deserve a massive pat on the back for providing such entertainment played in such excellent spirit! 

Thanks @razor61, Gibbo is good (I've been called much worse, you number 7 said 'baldy' don't know who he was referring to 😂). It was great to meet you at the weekend. As you've said, the spirit of the game was superb at the weekend. Doesn't hide our disappointment in not picking up all 3 points but we can only look at how the game went itself. Hope to see you again soon, be good to have a beer and a catch up.

Gibbo ,Roy here the reserves manager,it was a fantastic account of a truly enjoyable game to be involved in,thank you for the positive feedback and as a club we really do appreciate all the positivity as it’s a great club to be involved in, good luck next weekend and we will see you again in a few weeks,many thanks Roy Boardman 

On 10/02/2019 at 19:30, L.Gibbons said:

I was also at the game on Saturday, fantastic report and I couldn’t agree more. A draw was the fair result, unfortunately didn’t help either team with there ambitions of climbing the table but a great advert for duchy football. 

How do you see the title panning out Roy and gibbons? 2 or 3 horse face? Who do you fancy? 

Well done again on a great report. 

Thank you!!

I'd have to say that the title is Foxhole's to lose at this point. It's evident the strength they have in their squad, it's up to us to try to dent their own ambitions. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they walked away with a clean sweep of trophies this season. With regards to the rest of the league, I believe that St.Mawgan and ourselves will be pushing for 2nd with Godolphin not being too far behind. Sticker will have their say as well. I do think there's an awful lot of depth in the league this season. Boscastle showed us that at their place and Lostwithel beat us in the Cup courtesy of some Billy Davies magic! No game in this league is a guaranteed victory, you have to fight for every point!

I would have to go with foxhole,very strong team,the squad is big and not a lot of weaknesses,st Mawgan on there day are a very good match for them but would have the foxes for the league,st Mawgan for the junior cup only as it’s at st Mawgan, I do think this is definitely the best league for teams who want a competitive game week in week out,we will just try and beat our league position from last year and watch what unfolds around us ,cheers Roy