Cornwall Football Forum

St Piran League - who might be in our out?

A quick workout
16 sides are set to join the new St Piran League. 
The current bottom four sides in SWPL Div 1 West (first grouping) are;

Bude Town, Ludgvan, Dobwall, St Blazey

That is 4 of the 16 spaces taken. 
The other 12 places will be worked out in groups and then by points per game.

The following clubs below from the Combo and ECPL (the second grouping) expressed an interest and are classed as a group. Let us assume all pass the ground grading. 
Beside each club is the points per game they have earned so far this season and let us assume they carry on earning roughly the same to season's end. 
So the top 12 clubs might possibly get into the new St Piran League

Saltash United Reserves 2.615
Perranporth 2.524
AFC St Austell Reserves 2.357
Polperro 2.357
Penryn Athletic 2.333
St Ives Town 2.238
St Day 2.087
Helston Athletic Reserves 2.08
Perranwell 2.00
Torpoint Athletic Reserves 2.00
Falmouth Town Reserves 1.923
Illogan RBL 1.75

These clubs expressed an interest but are currently not in the top 12 for promotion
Hayle 1.565
Liskeard Athletic Reserves 1.308
St Agnes 1.261
Wendron United Reserves 1.238
Millbrook Reserves 1.059
St Just 1.048
Wadebridge Town Reserves 0.583
Porthleven Reserves 0.391

15 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

I think that some of the combination teams expressed interest because of the uncertainty of what may happen when left in the league. Also, will clubs below the St Piran League be able to apply for funding, think I heard it would stop at step 7

Funding still available below Step 7 from Football Foundation for both facilities and equipment.

The challenge and concerns must be that at present, clubs don’t really know what they’re applying for....... if other clubs decide not to apply the geographical spread of the league could be uneven between east and west. 

That must surely be a vital piece of information that clubs are seeking. I know at the league meeting a couple of months ago, it was said that the aim of the league  would be 8 teams from the east and 8 from the west....... is this likely to happen in reality?

13 hours ago, Number13 said:

The challenge and concerns must be that at present, clubs don’t really know what they’re applying for....... if other clubs decide not to apply the geographical spread of the league could be uneven between east and west. 

That must surely be a vital piece of information that clubs are seeking. I know at the league meeting a couple of months ago, it was said that the aim of the league  would be 8 teams from the east and 8 from the west....... is this likely to happen in reality?

This is one of the unknowns that I referred to on another thread.  Ideally the initial line-up would be an equal east/west split but with points per game being used there is no guarantee that this will happen.  Lets not forget either that even if an even split is what we start with a couple of seasons worth of promotions and relegations could quickly slew the geographical split one way or the other.

As I keep saying, patience in the immediate future is needed and once all applications are in that list will be put in the public domain.

Teams like Polperro, Torpoint Res, Liskeard Res & Saltash Res will struggle massively in this new league, not necessarily on quality but for consistency.

Only so many times players will want to travel to the bottom end of Cornwall for nothing and looking at the makeup of teams that could be in the league, those journeys will nearly be every other week.

4 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Teams like Polperro, Torpoint Res, Liskeard Res & Saltash Res will struggle massively in this new league, not necessarily on quality but for consistency.

Only so many times players will want to travel to the bottom end of Cornwall for nothing and looking at the makeup of teams that could be in the league, those journeys will nearly be every other week.

Exactly the same for the Step 6 version, which isn’t appealing to SE Cornwall teams either (in my personal opinion). If its not broken...

The biggest problem for Combo/EC Clubs is this: IF they decide to uproot, and after one season  decide(which I suspect) it was a bad move-WHERE COULD THEY GO ?

With Combo/EC League having no connection with the new set-up the only option would be Trelawney or Duchy !

Furthermore,have these defecting clubs stopped to think what damage will have been caused to the Leagues they have been proud members(some even founder

members!) of for many,many years ?

Matt P summed this up perfectly: "What happens when the novelty wears off?"

8 hours ago, Adlestrop said:

The biggest problem for Combo/EC Clubs is this: IF they decide to uproot, and after one season decide (which I suspect) it was a bad move - WHERE COULD THEY GO?

With Combo/EC League having no connection with the new set-up the only option would be Trelawney or Duchy 

It is intended that there will be arrangements put in place to have promotion/relegation between the St Piran League and both the Combination and East Cornwall Leagues!

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

Will it be compulsory or only if you want to like it is now, and I know it would depend on ground grading 

There is no compulsory promotion from recreational leagues into the NLS.  Promotion will only be for those from the feeder leagues that apply exactly as it is now. The only compulsory promotion starts at Step 6 next season though clubs can apply to the FA to be not promoted.  We are told that unless a very strong case can be made then, for example, the Cornish Step 6 champions will be promoted.  Refusal can result in relegation.

9 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Standard be terrible

What’s the benchmark for standard?

The standard of League 1 is terrible so not sure what you’re getting at. A competitive league is what you want to have. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. What’s ambition? How many clubs have gone up in the last ten years that have either lost all their players after a year and gone back down or have just gone altogether. 

Being part of any pyramid structure isn’t necessarily a good thing 

On 14/02/2019 at 16:28, Postman Pat said:

One thing I do know is the way that most of us are being sceptical, rather than looking for things that will improve Cornish football in general we are looking for what is wrong and how it will fail. Suppose it’s what we do best.

How will it improve Cornish football? Where’s the evidence that any of the changes will Improve the game?

I do think personally that in the long run St Darren it will, yes there will be lots of teething problems. Having been to all the  meetings for the Jioning of the leagues to form the Trelawney League I know how sceptical everyone were then and yes things are still up in the air now with that league they are different circumstances, mainly because it is the entry league and football is losing players. It will take time and clubs may yo yo between the leagues. We have been put in a situation by the FA were we will have to try

On 16/02/2019 at 07:53, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Not being done for that reason, it's to include the Cornish clubs into the pyramid system. 

The last county to do so I believe. 

Plenty of Cornish clubs already in the pyramid system thanks to the existence of the South West Peninsula League (plus of course Truro City rather higher up).

7 minutes ago, Richard Rundle said:

Plenty of Cornish clubs already in the pyramid system thanks to the existence of the South West Peninsula League (plus of course Truro City rather higher up).

But promotion is not compulsory in those leagues.

Whereas when the new system starts it will be, you then have to put forward a case for not taking it.

If that is not good enough they have the sanction to relegate your club I believe. 

Big change.

That would have been the case with the SWP in the same timeframe.

You are right about the sanction to relegate a team that does not accept a compulsory promotion - it happened to Andover Town last summer after they decided they couldn't step up to Step 4 after their major sponsor pulled out, so were unceremoniously dumped to Step 6 (Wessex League Division One) where they've struggled all season.

37 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Can you imagine Saltash, St.Austell, Bodmin, Falmouth, Torpoint etc playing teams like Penzance, St Blazey, Porthleven .... Be a huge difference In current Standards. I just can't see this working 

This forum and  thread is referring to the new Step 7 league leedsunited

2 hours ago, Number13 said:

Was today the deadline for applying?

The final date for applications is this Sunday (24th).  This will all be pulled together at County ready for a League Committee meeting on Wednesday 27th. The list of applicants will then be released to everyone on Thursday 28th Feb.  Very soon after that the ground grading will take place and then it's just a matter of getting points on the board.

On 21/02/2019 at 19:32, Steve Carpenter said:

The final date for applications is this Sunday (24th).  This will all be pulled together at County ready for a League Committee meeting on Wednesday 27th. The list of applicants will then be released to everyone on Thursday 28th Feb.  Very soon after that the ground grading will take place and then it's just a matter of getting points on the board.

How does one get on the league committee?