Cornwall Football Forum

West Cornwall fold

I've just heard that West Cornwall FC have folded their Combination team with immediate effect. Seems a shame for them to fight as hard as they have done all season only to call it a day in February, but it certainly is a thankless task running a club, never mind 1 that's struggling for players. I've seen it time & time again in recent years when the going gets tough, instead of players turning up every week to make sure the club stays alive, they find every excuse not to turn up & leave the poor manager to pick up the pieces. 

Hopefully the players they did have sign for the other clubs struggling for numbers to help them stay afloat.

It’s difficult when you have so many clubs in close proximity, first Troon then Holmans now West Cornwall drop out of the Combo, Illogan had to come back down and Carharrack and us (Redruth) down near the bottom. It has always amazed me how Camborne/Redruth has such a big population but not a bigger football club. No I do not believe it is to do with rugby because if you look at most of the kids around they all wear football shirts and carry footballs to school. I know that both towns have strong Rugby clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

Shame to hear this as they have climbed from the bottom all the way to Combo. All these teams that form and have success for a few seasons but then reach a standard where they can’t compete always seem to fold, it’s a shame they can’t stick it out and find new players to help them compete at the level. No doubt a new team will form with old players and climb the leagues for a couple of seasons then process happens all over again. 

Only 2 players from the side that got promoted from Trelawney Premier a couple of seasons ago were still there, a couple moved on, but more worryingly the rest just stopped playing, which is a more worrying statistic. Sign of the times with local sport, not just football I'm afraid. People would rather do something else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2019 at 13:16, ballsax said:

Only 2 players from the side that got promoted from Trelawney Premier a couple of seasons ago were still there, a couple moved on, but more worryingly the rest just stopped playing, which is a more worrying statistic. Sign of the times with local sport, not just football I'm afraid. People would rather do something else.

Always beer to be drunk