Cornwall Football Forum

CORNWALL SENIOR CUP QF - SAT 2 FEB 2019

Same old Bodmin bashers- Bodmin haven’t been the team to beat for a couple years! Historic jealousy again!!! 

Saltash are defending their cup - definitely favourites today but get over the whole Bodmin thing - it’s boring and stems from jealousy of their domination of trophies in the past decade - but that is very much in the past and the power has shifted to better sides like Tavi - Parkway etc in previous seasons 

2 hours ago, SWL Veteran said:

Same old Bodmin bashers- Bodmin haven’t been the team to beat for a couple years! Historic jealousy again!!! 

Saltash are defending their cup - definitely favourites today but get over the whole Bodmin thing - it’s boring and stems from jealousy of their domination of trophies in the past decade - but that is very much in the past and the power has shifted to better sides like Tavi - Parkway etc in previous seasons 

Take it the only channel they have on the tv in your club house when/if open is the history channel some time try switching to a more current channel you might get a shock

Back from watching a brilliant display by St Austell in beating Wadebridge 5-0 in the cup , St Austell where so good today a dominant display by a fine team who gave Wadebridge no chance at all today.Liam Eddy scores a hat trick he just makes goal scoring so easy hes some player but hes got a fantastic team behind him but the  goal of the game must go to Neil Slateford who scored a screamer of a shot beating the Wadebridge goalie all ends up after a brilliant passing display ending with a great goal .Wadebridge never had a stiff at the St Austell goal and Jason Chapman had nothing to do all afternoon ,Wadebridge lost there goalie to injury but St AUstell where already 4-0 up by them so it didnt really matter to the score . My man of the match doesnt go to Liam Eddy for his hat trick but goes to Ollie Brockenshire who gave a superb midfield display but this was a brilliant team display by a fine St Austell team evn without my fav player Martin Giles .No one will stop St Austell on todays display from lifting the cup  they where that good . Well done St Austell bloody freezing at Wadebridge Smokie was shaking with the cold ,good crowd there to watch a fine game .Goalscorers where Eddy 3 , Slateford and Goldsworthy 

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Back from watching a brilliant display by St Austell in beating Wadebridge 5-0 in the cup , St Austell where so good today a dominant display by a fine team who gave Wadebridge no chance at all today.Liam Eddy scores a hat trick he just makes goal scoring so easy hes some player but hes got a fantastic team behind him but the  goal of the game must go to Neil Slateford who scored a screamer of a shot beating the Wadebridge goalie all ends up after a brilliant passing display ending with a great goal .Wadebridge never had a stiff at the St Austell goal and Jason Chapman had nothing to do all afternoon ,Wadebridge lost there goalie to injury but St AUstell where already 4-0 up by them so it didnt really matter to the score . My man of the match doesnt go to Liam Eddy for his hat trick but goes to Ollie Brockenshire who gave a superb midfield display but this was a brilliant team display by a fine St Austell team evn without my fav player Martin Giles .No one will stop St Austell on todays display from lifting the cup  they where that good . Well done St Austell bloody freezing at Wadebridge Smokie was shaking with the cold ,good crowd there to watch a fine game .Goalscorers where Eddy 3 , Slateford and Goldsworthy 

Get Smokie a coat !!!

Back in the good old days of the Jewson South Western League you could always predict what the semi draw would be, City and Town would be kept apart, nothing to do with money of course. My prediction this season would be Town v Wendron played at Kellaway Parc and St Austell v Bodmin after beating Saltash  played at Blaise Park. Is the draw being made live this season does anyone know. ☃️.

On 02/02/2019 at 09:17, SWL Veteran said:

So Bodmin’s unpopularity has nothing to do with their manager being a complete door handle, and nothing to do with the refusal in the past to take promotion on financial grounds whilst simultaneously stockpiling their squad with other clubs best players by offering big money incentives??? Bodmin’s unpopularity is not due to their success 

5 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

So Bodmin’s unpopularity has nothing to do with their manager being a complete door handle, and nothing to do with the refusal in the past to take promotion on financial grounds whilst simultaneously stockpiling their squad with other clubs best players by offering big money incentives??? Bodmin’s unpopularity is not due to their success 

Well said 

52 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

Who else has took promotion apart from Parkway? St.Austell?? St.Blazey?? Tavistock?? Not just Bodmin you tool ! 

Was very surprised to see Wendron roll Alan Carey's Porthleven with ease, a real David v Goliath fixture, well done to Wendron. Also St.Austell so comfortable at Wadebridge. 

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Ok Dave, your the man to ask. How many different League winner's in the last 20 years has taken promotion to the Western League ? 

I'm only answering in connection to the SWL and SWPL, but technically only Parkway last season.

When Buckland went up, they did so as runners-up in 2011-12. Before that probably Liskeard back in 1978-79!

One could ask why all the Cornish clubs bought into the formation of the SWPL in the first place? 

9 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I'm only answering in connection to the SWL and SWPL, but technically only Parkway last season.

When Buckland went up, they did so as runners-up in 2011-12.

One could ask why all the Cornish clubs bought into the formation of the SWPL in the first place? 

Think it had something to do with FA

Ah yes that old chestnut! It's a shame the clubs didn't say at the time that promotion wasn't a carrot, but only the FA competition entry ticket was! Mind you, I suspect there were a couple more places offered to the clubs back in 2007/08 for the FA Cup than there is now. Whereas in the FA Vase, the clubs have sometimes got to win a couple ties now before going further than their own league allies.

4 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Who else has took promotion apart from Parkway? St.Austell?? St.Blazey?? Tavistock?? Not just Bodmin you tool ! 

Was very surprised to see Wendron roll Alan Carey's Porthleven with ease, a real David v Goliath fixture, well done to Wendron. Also St.Austell so comfortable at Wadebridge. 

You yourself are good enough reason for most not to support Bodmin. Even people from Bodmin love it when they get beat 😂 so something must be wrong 🤔

7 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Ahh nice to hear from u again after last week's ridiculous defeat which once again u failed to comment on 🤡

14 hours ago, leedsunited said:

St Blazey in the SWPL era have never been in a position to take promotion.

2 hours ago, Fanfare said:

St Blazey in the SWPL era have never been in a position to take promotion.

Promotion to the Western League was still available under the Jewson South Western League .... So we are saying then that only 2 Clubs in the last 20 years  have excepted it ..... so I rest my case 😂😂😂 

Next dig at Bodmin ...... ?? 

I thought this was about the senior up matches ,but it seems to be about going into a higher league who really gives a toss if the club takes promotion or not only team i can think of not taking promotion is Bodmin, so what they stayed down and done the right thing the travelling and expense in a higher league is really high look how far Parkway got to travel . About time this subject is cosed but i expect it will go on for the next 6 months .Have a nice week all you football followers .

23 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

I thought this was about the senior up matches ,but it seems to be about going into a higher league who really gives a toss if the club takes promotion or not only team i can think of not taking promotion is Bodmin, so what they stayed down and done the right thing the travelling and expense in a higher league is really high look how far Parkway got to travel . About time this subject is cosed but i expect it will go on for the next 6 months .Have a nice week all you football followers .

Well said. It's deflecting away from all the victorious Senior Cup winning teams from the weekend. Let's here some more about these results/fixture's. 

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

The taking/not taking promotion debate feels like the Cornish Soccer version of Brexit. Discussion/argument goes on for years, nobody is willing to see the other point of view and ultimately solves nothing.

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

Well said. It's deflecting away from all the victorious Senior Cup winning teams from the weekend. Let's here some more about these results/fixture's. 

absolutely! would rather hear about St Austell easing aside Wadebridge, Wendron's shock win over the leader Porthleven (saw their teamsheet and noticed a few regular players missing 👀), and even Falmouth's routine win over Launceston! No need to keep harping on about what Bodmin have and havent done, when plenty of other clubs have done the same

17 minutes ago, SCFC said:

absolutely! would rather hear about St Austell easing aside Wadebridge, Wendron's shock win over the leader Porthleven (saw their teamsheet and noticed a few regular players missing 👀), and even Falmouth's routine win over Launceston! No need to keep harping on about what Bodmin have and havent done, when plenty of other clubs have done the same

But not so often.

Yes--Falmouth Lineup

R.Barnes-D.Blizzard-O,Moody(R.Wearne 73m)-R.Martt-J.Cooper(C)_J.Ward-L.Johnson-M.Duff-L.Brabyn(S.Pickup 60m)-J.Annear-T.Nixon(M>Buchan58m)

Unused Subs D.Broglino-Westgarth J.Bowyer-away on a works course

Great to see both injured strilkers having some match time with Rob Wearne's first run out since his severe knee ligament injury against St.Ives Town CCL 15th.May 2018

Scorers Luke Brabyn 2(10m,46m)-James Ward 42m (H)-Tim Nixon 52m

Mike Landricombe the Tiverton Town  (Southern League Prem) defender  played for the Clarets.

On 01/02/2019 at 19:08, Ron Manager said:

Just driven past Wadebridge pitch, its completely covered in heavy snow. Can't see that shifting for 2moro's game. 

The Wadebridge ground staff must have worked hard saturday morning to get their game on. Well done.:clapper:

11 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Who gives a toss? Allow me to explain. Let’s say your a championship team, but you want to play in the premiership. Your good enough to play in the premiership, at least able to survive. You finish 5th. Above you are Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City. All refuse to take promotion. The  same happens the following season....and so on. This is what has happened to clubs like Exmouth in swpl. Step 6 clubs who can’t get into step 5 because the pathway is blocked by bigger clubs with step 4 budgets. That isn’t fair. Hence restructure. Maybe the likes of Bodmin/St Austell genuinely couldn’t afford promotion. Maybe the Fa should do more to help then. However the fact is many step 5 clubs operate with no playing budget. So maybe Cornwall has got its priorities wrong. The issue is complex but Bodmin spent years splashing the cash without moving the club forward. To dismiss the issue by saying ‘who gives a toss’ is wrong because other clubs are affected.

9 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

Who gives a toss? Allow me to explain. Let’s say your a championship team, but you want to play in the premiership. Your good enough to play in the premiership, at least able to survive. You finish 5th. Above you are Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City. All refuse to take promotion. The  same happens the following season....and so on. This is what has happened to clubs like Exmouth in swpl. Step 6 clubs who can’t get into step 5 because the pathway is blocked by bigger clubs with step 4 budgets. That isn’t fair. Hence restructure. Maybe the likes of Bodmin/St Austell genuinely couldn’t afford promotion. Maybe the Fa should do more to help then. However the fact is many step 5 clubs operate with no playing budget. So maybe Cornwall has got its priorities wrong. The issue is complex but Bodmin spent years splashing the cash without moving the club forward. To dismiss the issue by saying ‘who gives a toss’ is wrong because other clubs are affected.

But what club hasn't won it by 'splashing the cash!?' 

I know of teams that have spent thousands & not won a pot to pee pee in. There are still clubs with big budgets in the Swpl West Division that will not win a thing this season, surely that is more embarrassing? 

This is a Senior Cup thread, let's get back to the football & put this to bed? 

Bodmin is not a popular club amongst its peers, that is accepted amongst most contributers on this forum, be they Bodmin supporters or otherwise.
Nothing will change at the club as a result of opinions expressed on here, so maybe they should be left alone to ponder whether past achievements are worth the flack aimed at them as a result of not taking promotion.
It's their money to do what they like with, ( you wouldn't run a successful business like it though ) if we don't like their approach to the way their finances are distributed, the best thing to do is make sure that the club you support doesn't go down the same road.
There are clubs other than Bodmin who would do well to update their facilities which are a permanant reminder of who they are and how their supporters wellbeing is important to them.
At least assets are a valuable mostly permanant possession and don't dissappear overnight on a whim, or for more money.
Spending large sums of money just to have a trophy in the cabinet, and then falling behind with the upkeep of crucial equipment within their facility is not unknown to several clubs

54 minutes ago, We Two said:

Bodmin is not a popular club amongst its peers, that is accepted amongst most contributers on this forum, be they Bodmin supporters or otherwise.
Nothing will change at the club as a result of opinions expressed on here, so maybe they should be left alone to ponder whether past achievements are worth the flack aimed at them as a result of not taking promotion.
It's their money to do what they like with, ( you wouldn't run a successful business like it though ) if we don't like their approach to the way their finances are distributed, the best thing to do is make sure that the club you support doesn't go down the same road.
There are clubs other than Bodmin who would do well to update their facilities which are a permanant reminder of who they are and how their supporters wellbeing is important to them.
At least assets are a valuable mostly permanant possession and don't dissappear overnight on a whim, or for more money.
Spending large sums of money just to have a trophy in the cabinet, and then falling behind with the upkeep of crucial equipment within their facility is not unknown to several clubs

And what crucial equipment do you think Bodmin have fallen behind on the upkeep of ?

I have no dislike of Bodmin at all.

But. Their present fall from grace is attributable to lack of ambition for me.

Continually winning the same things become monotonous to players, management and spectators alike. 

Add in the sideshow from the bench and players and spectators don't want to go there anymore. 

Every Bodmin game I have watched in recent years the referee and lino's are approached at half time and full time...too much  for many participants in a simple game of entertainment. 

55 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

And what crucial equipment do you think Bodmin have fallen behind on the upkeep of ?

Am I right in saying that Priory Park is council owned? Perhaps this is why the ground and facilities have fallen behind, no incentive to improve what is not yours.Tavistock, St Austell and Callington are three clubs who's ground and facilities have steadily improved over the years, possibly as a result of them improving facilities that they own, or have a long lease of.

22 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Am I right in saying that Priory Park is council owned? Perhaps this is why the ground and facilities have fallen behind, no incentive to improve what is not yours.Tavistock, St Austell and Callington are three clubs who's ground and facilities have steadily improved over the years, possibly as a result of them improving facilities that they own, or have a long lease of.

Yes council owned,rent the last I heard was £5,000 per year.

When asked about Bodmin’s failure to progress to higher level during the club’s glory period, Leeds likes to remind us that the club were only following the example of St Blazey, the previous dominant club. Well look at St Blazey now. Is that what he wants for his club? Playing in a step 7 village league?? Every club has a bad patch but if you only stand still when doing well, at some point you will go backwards. If I was a Bodmin fan, I would be angry at the lack of progression, not defending it. Bodmin would quite possibly struggled at step 5 because the travelling costs would have eaten into their playing budget. But at least they would have been playing at a higher level, as the second ranked club in Cornwall. They might even have attracted additional sponsorship. If they had gone up and then down again, at least they would have tried. 

20 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

If you are a club playing in the Championship there would have to be something seriously wrong if you didn't want to play in the best league in the world with money being thrown around.

But that is one national geographical league to another.

The SWPL to Western League and beyond involves more travelling for our little clubs stuck out on a limb. Maybe if Ireland could be pushed a little bit more to the south we would have an area to the north and west to aid us with being more central.

Shift the Bristol and south Gloucestershire and Wiltshire teams into the Hellenic and bring in naturally western clubs from Somerset and Dorset to give the league a chance to actually represent the name it carries.

Although Millwall were once in the Western League I believe...