Cornwall Football Forum

2019-20 Cornish step 7 league - what will it look like?

It’s clear that lots of Cornish clubs have expressed interest regarding next seasons league structures...... but I wonder which clubs and how many will actually apply. The league will mean more travelling for most clubs so surely they’d like/need to know where they will be going and how far?

Whether you agree with the league restructuring or not, it’s going to happen so I’m hoping Cornish clubs embrace it.

If anyone knows which clubs are definitely applying.....it would be interesting to gauge what the leagues make up will look like. Look forward to hearing from you...

Believe all applications are to be submitted with deposit by end of Feb?

Above teams are based on probably registered interests and current league standings!

Lots to happen in next few months but does it beg the question that if again travel is an issue then like in Devon there will be a Step 6 which has a North/East & South/West Step 7s under it then should there have been a Cornwall Step 6 with a East & West Step 7s under it (mirror image)? Confused.com 🙄

I know that would have stepped on other leagues toes but wouldnt it have been better? Then if promoted to Step 6 you know you have to travel across the whole county!

8 minutes ago, Keith B said:

But older - since it all began, players have been traveling the the length and breadth of the county or country. It's the way it has to be, especially once you achieve promotion. You have to put your hand in your pocket if you are serious about wanting to play the game at our tier of the pyramid. (Perhaps if a few folk drank less beer post match, it would help spread the finances).

Seriously, if a player is not being paid either by sponsor or club, he has to decide how much he really loves the game and wants to play. In our day I guess it was ''in our blood'' as they say and personally, I loved the game and wanted to do nothing else so - my money was spent playing the game I love. (Couldn't afford a car, so I bought a motor bike and went to matches on that if I couldn't mump a lift with someone. Travelled by bus at times too in the early days - not many people had cars in those days).

Players have to decide - do they really love playing the game and if so, how much do they love it.

I used to push bike to games!

Anyways, I take the line with all the players who now have to work Saturday mornings the long trips become a problem. 

I used to think going to St Kevern was a long trip!

But the world is a smaller place now.

At the end of the day obviously it is down to the clubs to make the decision, but I do feel the Cornwall FA should have inserted a date as to when those successful clubs cannot change their minds and withdraw having been initially selected.

It's suggested one deterrent could be that any successful club will lose their £100 deposit, but to my mind that's not enough to stop a club pulling out. Already we're hearing clubs might change their mind depending on who else qualifies. Could get very messy the longer the time goes on!

Going to also need early honest commitment from players too - otherwise could be a 'Ludgvan' situation arising mid summer and too late to do much about it! Big decisions for a lot of clubs.

2 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

At the end of the day obviously it is down to the clubs to make the decision, but I do feel the Cornwall FA should have inserted a date as to when those successful clubs cannot change their minds and withdraw having been initially selected.

It's suggested one deterrent could be that any successful club will lose their £100 deposit, but to my mind that's not enough to stop a club pulling out. Already we're hearing clubs might change their mind depending on who else qualifies. Could get very messy the longer the time goes on!

Going to also need early honest commitment from players too - otherwise could be a 'Ludgvan' situation arising mid summer and too late to do much about it! Big decisions for a lot of clubs.

Very difficult situation for the clubs who want to join and to progress. For those in the East of the county the amount of games West of Camborne (assuming that those listed so far actually apply) will be a pain, but we know what we are facing now, so shouldn’t come as a shock. Far fewer trips East for those in West Cornwall. 

We would all have probably liked a more even split across the county, but it is what it is. 

The worry, I guess, is what happens when the novelty of travelling to new clubs and grounds wears off? We love the away days to West Cornwall in the Senior Cup and Charity Cup, and the welcomes those clubs offer, but facing 10 or more of these trips a season might become a struggle... 

That said, would be good if those clubs definitely applying cane out and said so, so those interested know exactly what the balance of clubs will be 

It is obviously a huge decision for all Clubs:and one might well pose this question: "What are the advantages of moving?" However, I would say to all Combo/EC clubs  your decision

quite simply is to consider this:

IF YOU ARE HAPPY PLAYING IN THE COMBO/EC  STAY PUT: IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH YOUR LOT, THEN LEAVE.

Do clubs seriously want a 150 mile round trip to play teams of similar standard ?

It’s not really as simple as asking if you’re club is happy in its current league..... the EC league could potentially lose the top 5 teams..... would need to merge with division 1 and would potentially feel like relegation, especially for a club that may have worked its way up.

1 hour ago, Number13 said:

potentially feel like relegation,

Or promotion for the Division 1 sides!

Unfortunately with any reorganising, someone stands to lose out. All the clubs can do is make what they think is the right decision for themselves and make sure everyone at the club, players and management included, are onboard.

So the Combo will continue to exist after this new league is foisted on the county like a dead Xmas tree in August ? I thought it was vanishing. Moreover, doesn't the LCP Drinks sponsorship end after thus season? While I appreciate Keith's earlier perception of player spending priorities, young people already spend less on beer in thr bar than they used to and, for many clubs, this is fatal to survival. For teams closer to Plymouth, talk of football ambition and progression means more. The English FA is designed around the assumptions of urban environments and the interests of the Premier league. Its only interest in football in the west of Cornwall is to milk it for its limited financial contributions until, unlamented by those parasitical class enemies, it disappears. Once upon a time the democratic forum provided by leagues could have opposed the FA dictators with a grassroots voice. That possibility was shelved when our administrators, one or two of them notoriously corrupt or senescent, grasped the opportunity offered by the FA of "cabinet" governance. Cornwall Council did the same. Now, whatever you vote for, you end up under the control of a few rich retirees from nowhere near your area. Democracy is dead. Why would football escape the collapse of the corpse ? Rise up, you silly bu**ers.

Is this a shake up or is it about ambition?

what is the ambition for clubs like, Hayle, Wendron, Penryn, St Day. 

Whats the limit? There really is no point on going higher than the swpl. More cost involved and unless you’re paying players they’re really not going to hang around when they can pick up a few quid playing in the leagues below.  The clubs I mentioned are sustainable at this level and possibly one more but no more then that. 

This is,I think,what CCFA would wish:it is my understanding that several Duchy clubs have already applied to join the ECPL so a merger might make sense.

However,this would mean a League of 80 odd clubs and would take some running.I wonder if it would be worthwhile D.D. running a Poll to to gauge the interest.

Also it would be interesting to hear Paul Collings' view on this;and I feel his input would be rsspected.

This whole new league thing has gone over my head so not really following it. My question is will it result in more games at weekend or about the same? Meaning the elite (Newquay, Falmouth, Bodmin, St Austell etc) still having three neutral officials for games as is the case now.

Another point to consider in this, I think raised by Paul Collings at the CCFA meeting, is that with the current 2 division ECPL structure, a team in Duchy Premier would be 2 promotions away from the new Step 7 League, whereas a team in Trelawny Premier is only one promotion away, due to the Combination having only one division. Surely a one division ECPL would balance out the structures below this league more sensibly?

With regard to mergers of leagues, the guys (and girls?) on these committees give up huge amounts of their time free of charge and are justifiably proud and protective of their respective leagues, so I think there would need to be a lot of give and take to join forces. 

Looking at the situation in the west, the combination league will be decimated and would have to join with the Trelawney league, because “ if” all teams are successful there would only be 7 teams left. But would be very surprised if all teams pass the ground grading, or has this been done already.

26 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Looking at the situation in the west, the combination league will be decimated and would have to join with the Trelawney league, because “ if” all teams are successful there would only be 7 teams left. But would be very surprised if all teams pass the ground grading, or has this been done already.

From what I can see, the ground grading criteria for step 7 is not much different to ECPL or Combo 

Would guess that only 6 or 7 Combo Clubs would be successful in getting into the Step 7 league, which means 13 or 14 remain. If there's no relegation and 2 promoted from Trelawny Prem, Combo would have 15 or 16 clubs next season; a much more manageable number for fixturing, especially if there are fewer floodlit grounds. 

I will be recommending a slight addition to the ground regulations for entry to the Combo, to give promoted Clubs until 31st March in their 1st season to complete any improvements needed - or face relegation. Hopefully, this will make things more achievable for Clubs aiming for promotion and is more in line with National League regulations. The majority of Combo Clubs already achieve the minimum requirements for entry to Step 7.

I’m generally in favour of getting an organised and well balanced pyramid structure to the game in Cornwall which encourages clubs to improve facilities (and I realise this simply isn’t possible for many clubs) in the knowledge that they  will get promotion if they are good enough.   I think it will take a few seasons to sort out properly and no plan will ever please everyone.

Personally I think the new step 7 league has to stabilise and prove itself before its worth worrying too much about the leagues below it – we will all muddle through once the details are known.

I suspect there will always be some clubs that don’t feel they can operate across the whole county at this level and will pull out at some point or not take promotion from below. It will take a few seasons to gauge how well it is working.

Reserve teams are an issue for a good pyramid system across all levels but 50% may be too many, that’s a big chunk not eligible for promotion. There is already something like 13 reserve sides interested in joining the league in the full knowledge that they probably cannot move upwards.  Does this suggest that a reserve team league may have been more welcome ?

As for the leagues below it, my personal preference would be that the Combination and East Cornwall Leagues have one division of 16 teams each but that really is for their member clubs to decide.  Below that the Duchy and Trelawny Leagues should probably try to match each other with 14 teams per division.

One thing is for certain, with only about 120 clubs in Cornwall it is a ridiculous duplication of effort and scarce resources for them to be organised into 6 different leagues with 6 committees, 6 volunteer secretaries, treasurers etc and in particular 6 different people arranging the fixtures that are so inter dependant.

I would hope we can get a fair and balanced pyramid system working well over the next few seasons and then surely we can come together and trim down the organisation/number of leagues going forward. Leagues folding and merging is hard to accept for us old dinosaurs but it just makes too much sense to ignore.

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

To see a club of St.Blazey's stature in that company would kill the football club. No disrespect to the rest but to be playing 'Competetive' football against other club's 'reserve' sides in this league is an absolute travisty.

Agreed that St Blazey should be in a higher league, but only if they are capable of climbing the football ladder with the quality/ability of their football getting them there.
No one has, or should have, the right to be in a particular level of football, based purely on the size of the area or past glories.
There will come a time when St Blazey will be back at a higher level, but they will have to win their way there and rightly so, it's doubtful that they would want it any other way.
How many times have managers in the professional game said that we have put the last game behind us, tommorrows game is the one that counts.

3 hours ago, leedsunited said:

To see a club of St.Blazey's stature in that company would kill the football club. No disrespect to the rest but to be playing 'Competetive' football against other club's 'reserve' sides in this league is an absolute travisty.

Totally disrespectful post to clubs that play at "that" level !!!! they are some clubs first teams.

St Blazey had a good few years at the top when they were throwing money at winning the same thing year after year (seem similar?)

Eventually when the money dried up the slide set in (seem similar?)

They have no right to be anywhere other than where they are, they will play at that level on merit like all other clubs and the position they are in.

One day your club may well play at that level so be wary of what you post.... maybe !!!!

I am fearful for the future of local football - time and again I read about teams not able to raise a side, not enough referees, fixture congestion, senior players dropping down levels to allegedly play with their mates, teams folding, pitches council owned and out of control of the club, new teams being formed in already team-heavy areas - the list goes on and on. I'm sure these issues have not disappeared so what is being done to rectify them? Does the CCFA recognise any of these issues and/or do they care? Its laudable that clubs appear to have the ambition to climb the pyramid but how deep within the club does this ambition run - have players and managers been canvassed - can they be relied upon to stick around from season to season - think we all know the answer to that one. Without being the harbinger of doom, I cant see how the restructuring will solve anything but compound matters. How about a sweep stake to see how many games will not get played or clubs withdrawing after one season regardless off financial penalty.

To climb the pyramid from down here in snowy Cornwall you will need an awful lot of money.

That money does not exist in the Duchy, and neither do the players.

Look at TCFC, now there is a fairy tale... or is it it a nightmare? themselves now needing a council ground to survive.

The pyramid system will mean nothing to every club in Cornwall would be my bet.