Cornwall Football Forum

Diminishing Media Coverage

1 hour ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Recently noticed there is no longer any coverage of the Combo League in "The Cornishman", so ceased buying it. It was woefully Pebzancebiased back in the day anyway. However. I wonder whether such an editorial omission might have been stimulated by the publication of our match attendances online ?

Sadly, both the Cornishman and the West Briton are both a shadow of their former selves, disgraceful that neither of them any longer report on Combo. Both are now 80% adverts, unfortunately they will ultimately go the way of so many local papers, consigned to history by the internet. Shows why the Forum continues to be such an important aspect of local football, be good to have an update after last year's fund raising, so important that we secure its future for Cornish football.

Young people don't read newspapers at all, especially local ones. But when the site shows an average of 30 spectators per game, it us understandable that the paper presumes interest in coverage us limited. They don't watch TV either. Video games isolated in front of individual screens are gradually replacing real human interaction. 

2 hours ago, le boss said:

All newspapers are suffering because of online media coverage - this site is as guilty as the next...…..

I have to refute that claim le boss.  This forum was set up over 10 years ago before leagues even had their results or tables online.  The reason the site was set up was so that people like myself who were abroad could stay in touch with Cornish Football.  Unlike newspapers this site doesn't contain any adverts and we certainly don't pass on your data to any 3rd party.  In fact I know a lot of journalists use this site to get information. 

Sunday morning Ross Reed's 'South West Sports News' (web site) gives you all the scores you want from local football, rugby and hockey,  

The days of buying a Sunday paper to read the results are fading away, who remembers buying the 'Football Herald' on Saturday evening before venturing off to 'Tall Trees' halcyon days indeed. 

Have to echo the comment on Matt Friday; he does tremoundous work covering our area and has a great twitter page for those on that. 

Rappo does some great Reports for the combo in the Sunday Indy. I used to do the Sunday Indy Trelawny Reports but from all of the leagues I was getting maybe two reports sent in, lack of interest there. 

I edit the St Austell Voice sport pages and we carry a report every week from all the teams on our patch from SWPL to Duchy Four thats St Austell and Sticker to Nanpean Rovers and everything in-between.

My colleague Tom Howe also provides a similar depth of coverage in our sister paper the Newquay Voice.

Some would say shamless plug, well it's not, just reiterating the point that we still care passionately about the local football scene and all our clubs are given even, fair and deserving coverage, irrespective of standing or level.

Just to add, although it is the most time consuming part of my role, we also still publish full League tables involving all our clubs.

Gareth,

I buy the St.Austell Voice every week, but in my opinion the sports coverage is not as good as it was when the other Gareth did it.

I suppose he had the advantage of growing up in the area  and knowing all the players, managers etc, to get his information.

What has happened to Gordon's weekly cartoons. Has he given up doing it?

1 hour ago, Outsider said:

Gareth,

I buy the St.Austell Voice every week, but in my opinion the sports coverage is not as good as it was when the other Gareth did it.

I suppose he had the advantage of growing up in the area  and knowing all the players, managers etc, to get his information.

What has happened to Gordon's weekly cartoons. Has he given up doing it?

Hi ‘Outsider’ 

I’ve sent you a private message. 

Thanks, 

Gareth. 

On 28/01/2019 at 21:31, Gareth Davies said:

I edit the St Austell Voice sport pages and we carry a report every week from all the teams on our patch from SWPL to Duchy Four thats St Austell and Sticker to Nanpean Rovers and everything in-between.

My colleague Tom Howe also provides a similar depth of coverage in our sister paper the Newquay Voice.

Some would say shamless plug, well it's not, just reiterating the point that we still care passionately about the local football scene and all our clubs are given even, fair and deserving coverage, irrespective of standing or level.

Just to add, although it is the most time consuming part of my role, we also still publish full League tables involving all our clubs.

Are my Cornwall Veterans League reports too late (Sunday evenings) or are you no longer interested in them?