Cornwall Football Forum

Junior cup last 8

With the draw only a few hours away, let’s have peoples opinion. From 1-8 with the strongest side first, list your favourites! 

My order...

Foxhole 

Illogan 

Mousehole 

Frogpool 

St Mawgan 

Gwinear 

Lostwithiel 

Polperro 

interesting stat - only one of these teams made it to the last 8 last year too. Who was that? 

Having watched a fair bit of St Mawgan this season I really fancy them to go on and challenge for silverware in both league and cup competition. One to avoid in my opinion as on their day they are capable of beating anyone. Solid defensively and very dangerous going forward, I think they'll prove to be a tough nut to crack for any of the remaining sides left in the tournament. Either way I'm sure there will be some cracking QF ties to look forward to!

21 minutes ago, coady-9 said:

Favourites have to be foxhole and it would be nice for the trophy to make the short trip up the road. 

I’ve agreed with you in terms of making foxhole favourites, but having watched them a few teams this season I don’t think they’re quite the team they’ve been made out to be. 

Having not played torpint or St Mawgan in the league and playing a weakened sticker at home in the league, they haven’t really been tested yet. I look forward to seeing them go further and playing good teams, can’t knock them for winning the games they have so far - but definitely a team that are exposed defensively most weeks. 

Great shame for the eastern side of the competition that our two strongest sides left are facing one another but anything can happen in a one off game,lostwithel will always have a chance in there tie on there pitch & if the ever green Billy Davis can perform his regular heroics.Dont really know much about the others as with St Stephen not in it I haven't done the normal amount of pestering people from the west for info on teams/players but I'd imagine frogpool must be reasonable if they beat Veryan even though there not as consistent as past seasons.Looking forward to a midweek trip out to watch/support winners of foxhole v st  mawgan in the semi,the cup has been in the east a few seasons now so not much pressure to keep it up this end.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/01/2019 at 16:37, No I in team said:

Frogpool v polperro 

lostwithiel v mousehole 

illogan v gwinear 

St Mawgan v foxhole 

i think we’ve got 3 clear winners and a cup final here! 

I think the reaction of the foxhole manager says a lot, Didn’t want St Mawgan.. that’s where you’ll find me! 

Well, with only 9 days to go let’s have some predictions please! 

Frogpool 4 - 0 Polperro

lostwithiel 1 - 3 mousehole

Illogan 3 - 1 gwinear 

St Mawgan 3 - 1 foxhole 

I watch a lot of football around Cornwall, mainly SWPL. I’ve heard whispers about this polperro reserve team around the terraces of non league football for a while, so I decided to go a take a look for my self, I was blown away if I’m honest, I think a lot of there players have come down from a very high level to play in duchy as I recognise a couple from the western league from a couple seasons ago, one player they had CM looked unplayable on the day, I think his name was George white or something along those lines, skilful player I must say indeed, polperro detonate underdogs in my book, good luck too all the teams left in the competition👍

3 hours ago, Micky pearce said:

I watch a lot of football around Cornwall, mainly SWPL. I’ve heard whispers about this polperro reserve team around the terraces of non league football for a while, so I decided to go a take a look for my self, I was blown away if I’m honest, I think a lot of there players have come down from a very high level to play in duchy as I recognise a couple from the western league from a couple seasons ago, one player they had CM looked unplayable on the day, I think his name was George white or something along those lines, skilful player I must say indeed, polperro detonate underdogs in my book, good luck too all the teams left in the competition👍

Western League - You sure ??

Fancy being a 33-year-old centre forward for example and telling your mates that you are playing in the JUNIOR cup !!!!! What an absolutely ridiculous name for a men’s football tournament. I don’t care how long this competition has been around but it is totally outdated calling at that. It’s just an embarrassment.

Junior competitions to me mean under 16 or at the very least under 18. Does anyone else agree?

11 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

Fancy being a 33-year-old centre forward for example and telling your mates that you are playing in the JUNIOR cup !!!!! What an absolutely ridiculous name for a men’s football tournament. I don’t care how long this competition has been around but it is totally outdated calling at that. It’s just an embarrassment.

Junior competitions to me mean under 16 or at the very least under 18. Does anyone else agree?

Imagine being an 18 year old winger and playing in the Senior Cup. Bloody ridiculous, sounds like it should be a walking football tournament...