Cornwall Football Forum

Conscious time?

Just took a call from BBC Radio Cornwall asking if I would appear on air today to talk about the Ludgvan matter and the current situation as to how difficult it is for “smaller” clubs.

Initially I said yeah, no problem. Then when I found out it would be on the midday discussion phone in programme I decided to decline.

Did I do the right thing?

7 minutes ago, baldy said:

Yes. None of your business. Why not get someone from Ludgvan or similar to "explain"?

Sorry I should have added, they were also inviting someone from Ludgvan too.

However, is it not our business to discuss ? It’s not just Ludgvan experiencing these problems. It could be the club you support tomorrow and so should the issue not be discussed by more than just those it’s immediately affecting?

My concern is would this have become newsworthy if there hadn’t been a 20-1 score line Saturday?

8 minutes ago, baldy said:

Yes, you should have added that. Better to invite some chairmen to explain what they did right or wrong at their "small" club? Sticker & Penryn would be a good examples.

What Sticker as an example of a club climbing the ladder and Penryn one knowing where to stop following their decision to withdraw from the SWPL a couple of seasons ago therefore cutting their cloth to suit.

14 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Explain what Sticker and Penryn did right or wrong (?)

I assumed it was knowing when to contract when faced with additional travelling and players leaving

1 minute ago, skinner said:

Penryn enjoying visiting special towns and villages like mullion, lizard,  st just better than marjons plymstock ellburton holsworthy etc

Presumably though you’ve expressed an interest in joining the new Step 7 league?

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I assumed it was knowing when to contract when faced with additional travelling and players leaving

Presumably though you’ve expressed an interest in joining the new Step 7 league?

Clubs have to adapt to what is happening in the broader football, and economic climate at any given time.

We simply reacted what happened at short notice.

I believe we have expressed an interest at this time, after consulting with all of those that would be involved in step 7 it looks doable we think.

7 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Better to invite some chairmen to explain what they did right or wrong at their "small" club? Sticker & Penryn would be a good examples.

What makes you think that Sticker or Penryn did anything wrong !
Our understanding is that Penryn decided to step down when they decided it was their best option having lost many of their squad, Sticker when faced with a similar position but much closer to the new season ( perhaps even too late to withdraw ) decided much to their credit to  stay and  fight their corner, as have Ludgvan.
Our best wishes go to all three of them for showing a bit of sporting backbone and acting in what they perceive to be in the interest of THEIR club.
It would appear that they are doing for their clubs what others judging from some comments, would have given up and turned their backs on.

Now this is going to sound very derogatory to the Swpl West league, but these sort of scorelines shouldn't be happening in Sunday league football. Yes, credit to Ludgvan, for turning up etc etc but this is an absolute joke. Talking to a player from Bude yesterday in the builder's merchant's & he was telling me they traveled with only 10 player's on Saturday away to Porthleven, I mean what is this league about.

From a outsider looking at the league it's had Fixture's postponed due to team not having enough players, a secretary signing on 5 players before kick off, a 19 goal defecit & a team travelling to a game with only 10 player's. Now can you see how it's referred to as the Fish & Chip Shop League. Mixing some of these sides next season with established SWPL sides will cause a big divide in top half & bottom half of the new league. 

An established SWPL club could only manage a draw with bottom of the league Sticker last weekend, popular opinion is that Bodmin are fielding one of their worst sides in a long time at the moment, what goes around comes around.
There is no room for elitist attitudes in football, all clubs will have their ups and downs, mainly caused in the SWPL by the mercinaries chasing the brown envelope. 
Those at the bottom will move up, those at the top will drop down, that's the nature of the game, thankfully there is no god given right to be successful.
Maybe referrals to the fish and chip league could be taken as a compliment, we all love fish and chips, not so many some established football teams.

49 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Now this is going to sound very derogatory to the Swpl West league, but these sort of scorelines shouldn't be happening in Sunday league football. Yes, credit to Ludgvan, for turning up etc etc but this is an absolute joke. Talking to a player from Bude yesterday in the builder's merchant's & he was telling me they traveled with only 10 player's on Saturday away to Porthleven, I mean what is this league about.

From a outsider looking at the league it's had Fixture's postponed due to team not having enough players, a secretary signing on 5 players before kick off, a 19 goal defecit & a team travelling to a game with only 10 player's. Now can you see how it's referred to as the Fish & Chip Shop League. Mixing some of these sides next season with established SWPL sides will cause a big divide in top half & bottom half of the new league. 

The regionalisation of the league for next season will ruin the SWPL in my opinion. Why would players want to turn up knowing they're either going to smash a team, or get smashed? As you've said, the divide will be too big, and these sorts of scorelines will become more common, with the quality players wanting to progress further up the ladder and moving to Devon clubs

If they move up the ladder to Devon clubs, it will be because those clubs who regularly turn down the opportunity to be promoted, are restricting players by their lack of ambition to play at a higher level.
We regularly see quality players moving to the Devon because they feel they have a better chance of playing at a higher level.
Perhaps if such amounts as are bandied around the Cornish football players circuit at present were reduced, clubs would be able to afford the dreaded travel costs that are used as a regular excuse for not accepting promotion.
Players are not to blame for accepting large payouts from clubs willing to hand out large sums to play in leagues which have been labeled   "Fish and chip shop leagues".
Why would players turn up to either smash or be smashed every week ? easy money as long as clubs are daft enough to be satisfied with short term success or long term failure and continue paying big bucks.

1 hour ago, gingerninja said:

Why would players want to turn up knowing they're either going to smash a team, or get smashed

On 14 January 2019 at 10:14, Dave Deacon said:

Just took a call from BBC Radio Cornwall asking if I would appear on air today to talk about the Ludgvan matter and the current situation as to how difficult it is for “smaller” clubs.

Initially I said yeah, no problem. Then when I found out it would be on the midday discussion phone in programme I decided to decline.

On 14 January 2019 at 10:14, Dave Deacon said:

Dave I think you should have appeared on Radio Cornwall as, like me, you haven't got the face for TV :yahoo:

13 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Any older supporters remember Helston Athletic's struggles in 1968/69? A few 15s, 14s and other double figure scores resulted in a SWL record goals against of 181 from 30 games. They fulfilled every fixture and I believe some of their players came from the Falmouth-Helston League.

Big scores happen but 11 players (most of the time) get 90 minutes football and fulfill the fixtures. I'd rather see a scoreline in each space rather then W/O (walkover)

18 hours ago, leedsunited said:

See Bodmin have got “battered” themselves a few times this season! A few in the dug out with a “chip” on their shoulder as well. Even Gilbey was in a “pickle” with players turning him down despite splashing the cash! 😂