Cornwall Football Forum

Mining League & Falmouth/Helston League Best

3 minutes ago, Roy D said:

I'm sure Rappo can confirm,  I beleive he was a part of the Malabar team that dominated junior football for a few years. I think he was only a young boy then, but still scored alot of goals.

Fair enough but with that being 30 years ago i'd of thought Dave Rowe would of removed his tongue from Rappos behind just for a day or 2 to choose someone he would of been around to have watched or played against 

Best Keeper... Difficult one to be honest as I didn't play a great deal in the Mining League... Alan Buckley I would say

Defender - Brett Wasden, like Bundi says was immense

Midfielder - Crikey now you're asking... 

Striker - Duane Britten.

I only ever played for Portreath and Trevenson in Mining League, couldn't remember many of those games as I've ages since and my memory is a bit wank

4 hours ago, Asterix said:

Fair enough but with that being 30 years ago i'd of thought Dave Rowe would of removed his tongue from Rappos behind just for a day or 2 to choose someone he would of been around to have watched or played against 

watched and played against. true sportsman unlike alot of today's teams.

Appreciate the vote Dave! Hope you’re well mate. Roy is spot on, started playing for Malabar at 13 and remember those games against Pool SC and other good really tough teams!! But as Ralph correctly said I only played two and a half seasons in the mining league, went Combo at 16 and SWL at 18 until I was 35 apart from being reinstated a few times to help old mates out at the end of their seasons. Enjoyed a few seasons in the Trelawny league at the end before the knees packed in as well but there’s much more worthy players out there that have graced the mining and FHL more than me!! Some cracking players and characters in junior football over the years 👍

3 hours ago, Fanfare said:

And Rappo's Falmouth-Helston League days

Making @Mr Bean -8 years old whilst Rappo was 16/17

Think.the object of this topic is being missed, I was looking for players of past and present to reminisce about players they had played along side or played against in the old "Mining league / Fal - Helston" , era. Before it was changed into the "Trelawney League" format. 

Now I know Mr bean is very fond of Rappo, but he's missed the point of this exercise. 🙄 

Now I know @RAPPO will have played in those leagues at some point in the early/late 80s possibly 90s but Mr Bean would not of played or watched him back then.