Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combination League Results and Tables - Saturday 12th January 2019

Results for
Saturday 12th January 2019
Falmouth Town Reserves 0-4 St Ives Town (Max Davies 3, Josh Magin) 
Att - 30
Hayle 0-6 Helston Athletic Reserves (Charlie Young 3, Dan Stidwell 2, Fraser Paterson) 
Att - 29
Illogan RBL (Anton Oliver 4, Luke Abbott-Smith, Jack Adams Paul Wolstencroft, Ashley Smeeth, Jason Roberts) 9-0 Redruth United 
Att - 50
Penryn Athletic (Connor Powell 3, Jake Shaw 3, Ryan Reeve 2, Harry Roberts) 9-1 Lizard Argyle (Fred Williams)
Att - 44
Perranporth (Jakob Springall 2, Justin Searle 2) 4-2 Wendron United Reserves (Jack Prowse, Jack Noy) 
Att - 25
Perranwell P-P St Just
RNAS Culdrose (Ricky Shilvock 6, Alan McInnes 2, Sam Shearer) 9-0 Carharrack 
Att - 10
St Agnes (Sam Connolly) 1-0 Pendeen Rovers 
Att - 75
St Day (Gavin Boon 3, James Daniel) 4-0 Mullion 
Att - 41
West Cornwall P-P Porthleven Reserves

Season 1959-60

TEAM P W D L F A GD PTS
PORTHLEVEN 22 16 3 3 92 39 53 35
NANPEAN ROVERS 22 15 4 3 85 32 53 34
ST JUST 22 16 1 5 80 28 54 33
NEWQUAY RESERVES 21 13 2 6 40 35 5 28
ST BREWARD 22 12 2 8 63 63 0 26
RNAS CULDROSE 20 8 3 9 59 49 10 19
FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES 22 7 3 12 42 63 -21 17
ST DENNIS 22 6 3 13 49 67 -18 15
PENZANCE RESERVES 22 4 6 12 32 57 -25 14
HELSTON ATHLETIC RESERVES 22 5 3 14 36 70 -34 13
RAF ST MAWGAN 20 5 2 13 39 66 -27 12
ROCHE 21 6 0 15 28 76 -48 12

CORNWALL COMBINATION LEAGUE
2018-19

POS TEAM PL W D L F A GD PTS
1 HELSTON ATHLETIC RESERVES 25 18 1 6 91 37 54 55
2 PERRANPORTH 20 16 2 2 70 21 49 50
3 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES 26 16 2 8 82 35 47 50
4 ST DAY 23 15 3 5 74 41 33 48
5 ST IVES TOWN 21 15 2 4 70 21 49 47
6 PENRYN ATHLETIC 20 14 2 4 83 18 65 46*
7 HAYLE 23 13 0 10 63 39 24 39
8 ILLOGAN RBL 21 11 2 8 60 31 29 38
9 PERRANWELL 18 12 0 6 37 19 18 36
10 WENDRON UNITED RESERVES 22 8 5 9 48 52 -4 29
11 ST AGNES 23 8 5 10 49 67 -18 29
12 PENDEEN ROVERS 23 9 1 13 47 56 -9 28
13 LIZARD ARGYLE 21 7 3 11 42 52 -9 24
14 RNAS CULDROSE 18 7 3 7 33 47 -14 24
15 MULLION 22 8 0 14 31 55 -24 24
16 ST JUST 21 5 5 11 39 50 -11 22*
17 REDRUTH UNITED 23 6 2 15 34 83 -49 20
18 WEST CORNWALL 17 1 3 13 16 67 -51 6
19 PORTHLEVEN RESERVES 21 2 1 19 32 110 -78 3*
20 CARHARRACK 21 0 4 16 19 120 -101 0*
* POINTS ADJUSTED

Hayle  att 29 ,  pitch looking good  ,  Helston very good footballing side 3-0 half time  6-0 full time  deserved winners  today  looked dangerous  everytime  they broke , Hayle couldn't  cope with them today , number 5  for Helston  quality  players always looking for the ball from the keeper ,  and playing from the back ,  no long  passes always to feet   , good team  beat by the better side  today no disgrace  in that pity by the amount  but no complaints   . 

Falmouth Town 0, St Ives Town 4

The right result on the day. The first goal on 23m came after Falmouth had a pen saved: it would have given them the lead against the run of play. For that 1st goal, Saint's no 11 was on the right wing, cut in along the top of the box and curled one inside the far post with his left foot. A really nice goal. I'd want to be coaching players to look for just such an opening, what with the way players can so easily bend the modern balls. You see so many goals scored like that in the top 4 divisions. On 30, Falmouth had the ball in the net only to be flagged offside.

Then a significant moment. St Ives played the ball forward to an offside player; so obviously offside from my seat high in the stand that I looked down to record the offside, only for shouting from the pitch making me look up to see, to my surprise, the game going on. A Falmouth defender,  angered by the lack of a flag or whistle, unwisely pulled the St Ives player back and the ref had no option but to red-card him (last man). I don't think it would have prevented St Ives from winning but it it ended the game as a contest. 2nd half goals were on 59, 72 and 87 minutes, the last a follow-up shot after the home 'keeper had saved a penalty.

St Ives lino still hasn't got the hang of when a ball is or isn't out of play! Still, like last week, it didn't affect the result. St Ives players continue to be unrecognisable from when they played at Carharrack, but it was a bit sad hearing their bench screaming for the Falmouth player to be sent off. Their players were more slick and fit and played some nice football and have to be contenders for the league. Falmouth seem to have deteriorated since earlier in the season but could still revive.

Some stats: Falmouth: 10 shots, only 4 on target including the saved pen; 16 FKs conceded; 2 offsides, 5 corners.

St Ives: 17 shots, 11 on target  including the 4 goals and the saved pen; 13 FKs conceded; 6 offsides, 4 corners.

Still only £1 entrance for old farts: tea and other hot drinks including Bovril £1, nice buttered sausage Bap £2. Yum yum!

Is the move away from this great old ground still happening? I did hear a vague rumour that it was off. Hope so.

20 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

The right result on the day. The first goal on 23m came after Falmouth had a pen saved: it would have given them the lead against the run of play. For that 1st goal, Saint's no 11 was on the right wing, cut in along the top of the box and curled one inside the far post with his left foot. A really nice goal. I'd want to be coaching players to look for just such an opening, what with the way players can so easily bend the modern balls. You see so many goals scored like that in the top 4 divisions. On 30, Falmouth had the ball in the net only to be flagged offside.

Then a significant moment. St Ives played the ball forward to an offside player; so obviously offside from my seat high in the stand that I looked down to record the offside, only for shouting from the pitch making me look up to see, to my surprise, the game going on. A Falmouth defender,  angered by the lack of a flag or whistle, unwisely pulled the St Ives player back and the ref had no option but to red-card him (last man). I don't think it would have prevented St Ives from winning but it it ended the game as a contest. 2nd half goals were on 59, 72 and 87 minutes, the last a follow-up shot after the home 'keeper had saved a penalty.

St Ives lino still hasn't got the hang of when a ball is or isn't out of play! Still, like last week, it didn't affect the result. St Ives players continue to be unrecognisable from when they played at Carharrack, but it was a bit sad hearing their bench screaming for the Falmouth player to be sent off. Their players were more slick and fit and played some nice football and have to be contenders for the league. Falmouth seem to have deteriorated since earlier in the season but could still revive.

Some stats: Falmouth: 10 shots, only 4 on target including the saved pen; 16 FKs conceded; 2 offsides, 5 corners.

St Ives: 17 shots, 11 on target  including the 4 goals and the saved pen; 13 FKs conceded; 6 offsides, 4 corners.

Still only £1 entrance for old farts: tea and other hot drinks including Bovril £1, nice buttered sausage Bap £2. Yum yum!

Is the move away from this great old ground still happening? I did hear a vague rumour that it was off. Hope so.

Have have to agree with you here Tom. I’ve previously seen St Ives play and does not suprise me with what the coaching staff done today on the side line . The Lino has also been talked about on here before don’t think he has the best eyesight we shall say ! 

Maybe if the majority of the st ives players didn’t leave their former club ludgvan they might not of had such an hammering up at liskeard and losing 20-1 today, but st ives wouldn’t be the side this season if they didn’t have all of these players 

1 minute ago, Spectator92 said:

st ives players didn’t leave their former club ludgvan

But wasn't for at least some of them, their former club St Ives before they joined Ludgvan?

6 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Tom. You constantly talk about coaching players!! Are you aware of how long / how many training sessions a team at this standard of football do in a week?

Would it be one at most, and that in a good week!

32 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

Pretty accurate account of the match. I watched Falmouth a few times at the start of the season - thought they would be top three finish - if not winners; St Ives are putting some good results together. a good footballing team to watch. Im too old and deaf to hear what their bench is saying, but i do enjoy the football they play. St Ives to take the league??????

6 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

But wasn't for at least some of them, their former club St Ives before they joined Ludgvan?

Correct Dave, it was ludgven that took 4/5 cup final winning players from st ives when they got promoted, and now them players have come back, but seems to be a problem when it happens one way but not the other.. 

All players at every level shout for decisions and it’s always going to happen. It’s called appealing 

18 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Exactly, yet Tom seems to think that coaching could happen! The majority of teams will play the same way week in week out and that is to tell the players go out and do their best. Not about the way to kick a ball or break through a defence!!!

Some exciting results in the Combination league today, and lots of goals which is always a bonus:thumbsup:

I can only state how sorry i feel for SWPL West club Ludgvan who had a very good team in last seasons SWPL for half of their team to only to move a league lower and take a Hefty brown packet from what I've heard from a barber named 'Dave'? local also to the Camborne area?

1- why would players want to lower themselves a league and play at Sandcastles i mean saltings... 

2- Understand its not the players asking for it and would be silly to turn it down (I know i wouldn't of back in the day!) but why does money seem to talk in the Cornish game so much now. 

3- And last but not least all this money they're paying surely it can only be Ludgvan 2? Have great potential of winning this years league only to go up (If applied) and for their players to jump ship and go where...Hayle? 

15 minutes ago, Mr Loverman said:

Some exciting results in the Combination league today, and lots of goals which is always a bonus:thumbsup:

I can only state how sorry i feel for SWPL West club Ludgvan who had a very good team in last seasons SWPL for half of their team to only to move a league lower and take a Hefty brown packet from what I've heard from a barber named 'Dave'? local also to the Camborne area?

1- why would players want to lower themselves a league and play at Sandcastles i mean saltings... 

2- Understand its not the players asking for it and would be silly to turn it down (I know i wouldn't of back in the day!) but why does money seem to talk in the Cornish game so much now. 

3- And last but not least all this money they're paying surely it can only be Ludgvan 2? Have great potential of winning this years league only to go up (If applied) and for their players to jump ship and go where...Hayle? 

I can defiantly confirm that everyone at st ives gets paid £60 a game 🙈

what a idiotic comment to even make. 

36 minutes ago, CornishFan95 said:

Watched Illogan v Redruth today and what a cracking game. A few dodgy decisions from a certain linesman but you can’t blame the poor guy when you’re 7-0 down. 

Cornishfan95 more than welcome to come to clijah Croft next week and give me the wisdom of your knowledge. Make yourself known I will shake your hand and listen intently 

49 minutes ago, CornishFan95 said:

Watched Illogan v Redruth today and what a cracking game. A few dodgy decisions from a certain linesman but you can’t blame the poor guy when you’re 7-0 down. 

Agree some shocking decisions, ref Jamie Mooney had a good game though 👍

19 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Cornishfan95 more than welcome to come to clijah Croft next week and give me the wisdom of your knowledge. Make yourself known I will shake your hand and listen intently 

I’d be more than happy to pop down, I’ll just make sure I grab my wellies on the way 👍 

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Exactly, yet Tom seems to think that coaching could happen! The majority of teams will play the same way week in week out and that is to tell the players go out and do their best. Not about the way to kick a ball or break through a defence!!!

I know of at least one player still around who will remember being coached at Carharrack back in the 70s in our 1 training session per week. It is possible to do quite a bit, a little at a time, through the season. From what I see, there are some clubs managing it. I don't know where the St Ives No 11 picked up the technique he used in scoring his goal: MotD? Perhaps he thinks about  his game in his own time? Perhaps he's had ten minutes practicing during a training session? Or was it merely intuitive? Even in one session a week you can, through a season, cover (e.g.) jockeying; use of the weaker foot; shooting from various positions; planned free kicks; defending free kicks; throw-ins; one-touch football, etc., etc.

Be positive guys (and gals!).

2 hours ago, Keeper#1 said:

Tom trust! Fair report, a change of heart about st ives since you stated a few months ago that you couldn’t wait to see us get abit of a hammering against penryn and Falmouth 🤷🏽‍♂️

Didn't watch you against Penryn. I did wonder about today, having seen both you and Falmouth play. I saw it as the best game in prospect today. Might have been a closer result but for that sending off. I don't think I've criticised St Ives' football: just the attitude shown at Carharrack, which was absent in the return game and today: proving that all that unpleasantness at Carharrack was unnecessary. You should be a good bet for the title.

Tom Trust, I dont think you can blame the St. Ives lino for not giving a St. Ives player offside.  That's not his end of the pitch.  

Its really important to respect the officials guys, they give up their time to make this all possible.  Everyone claims to know better than the officials but maybe the recent game where the ball DIDNT cross the line in the Pool - City match shows that what we think we know to be certain is often actually much more difficult to call.  

know of at least one player still around who will remember being coached at Carharrack back in the 70s in our 1 training session per week. It is possible to do quite a bit, a little at a time, through the season

Tom,thinking back to the 70s,I seem to recall Carharrack had a manager/coach/officer by the name of Phil Paynter.Does this ring a bell with  you?-

45 minutes ago, BiggestFootyFan said:

Tom Trust, I dont think you can blame the St. Ives lino for not giving a St. Ives player offside.  That's not his end of the pitch.  

Its really important to respect the officials guys, they give up their time to make this all possible.  Everyone claims to know better than the officials but maybe the recent game where the ball DIDNT cross the line in the Pool - City match shows that what we think we know to be certain is often actually much more difficult to call.  

I thought it was very well reffed by Luke Wilkes. Had no choice on the sending off as clearly last man and two penalties were both correct (in my opinion).

10 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

I know of at least one player still around who will remember being coached at Carharrack back in the 70s in our 1 training session per week. It is possible to do quite a bit, a little at a time, through the season. From what I see, there are some clubs managing it. I don't know where the St Ives No 11 picked up the technique he used in scoring his goal: MotD? Perhaps he thinks about  his game in his own time? Perhaps he's had ten minutes practicing during a training session? Or was it merely intuitive? Even in one session a week you can, through a season, cover (e.g.) jockeying; use of the weaker foot; shooting from various positions; planned free kicks; defending free kicks; throw-ins; one-touch football, etc., etc.

Be positive guys (and gals!).

Didn't watch you against Penryn. I did wonder about today, having seen both you and Falmouth play. I saw it as the best game in prospect today. Might have been a closer result but for that sending off. I don't think I've criticised St Ives' football: just the attitude shown at Carharrack, which was absent in the return game and today: proving that all that unpleasantness at Carharrack was unnecessary. You should be a good bet for the title.

Carharrack also had Brian stand down as manager last night. An announcement set to be made in coming days. 

Good luck to Brian. Did a great job keeping the club running always going to be a tough job when you arrive with no team!

14 hours ago, Mr Loverman said:

Not sure where mr loverman gets his information from, must be a 'sun' reader and just makes it up, I have been involved with st Ives for a while now I and can assure you nobody gets paid and as quoted by someone else the lads pay subs of £3 a week for the privilege of playing at the sandcastle 😜 Not sure why people seem obsessed with the money side of things, if some clubs pay some of their lads then fair enough.....

12 hours ago, BiggestFootyFan said:

I didn't. It was the home lino. And you are right about criticising, I guess, I did my share of running the line back in the 70s and 80s so I know what its like - but seeing a ball crossing a line was part of the training as was the need to keep in line with the last defender at all times. That Liverpool/Man City incident you cite shows exactly how far the ball has to be over the line to be out of play yet time and time again we see local linos giving out of play when the ball only gets as far as being ON the line. I think the instinct is "Oh, that's going out" and the flag goes up too early, then its too late to change your mind!

In fairness to Mr Trust the incident i think he is talking about yesterday the ball was indeed still in play. However it was the lino's 70th birthday on Friday so maybe he had one to many vino's on friday. What a guy 70 years of age still volunteering still refereeing kids games on a sunday without men like him we would be stuffed. 

15 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I see Brian Fisher resigned Saturday evening. Going to make things even more difficult at Carharrack! 

Won't make things difficult  if anything we have players coming returning now and with hard working people behind the scene there are plenty of positives this morning. Things are looking good and players availbitiy looking good next week v perranporth. 

Just now, cornishlegend said:

Won't make things difficult  if anything we have players coming returning now and with hard working people behind the scene there are plenty of positives this morning. Things are looking good and players availbitiy looking good next week v perranporth. 

Were these players returning before the resignation?

24 minutes ago, Dagerags said:

Not sure who he was but when carharrack came to The Saltings 2 weeks ago there was a man in charge seemed very organised and involved so if he’s now in charge I can actually see them improving. 

Where's the saltings again. 

26 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Were these players returning before the resignation?

No these players weren't returning before Brian actually packed it In last week but made official yesterday. With the handful of decent players with had along with returning players and a couple due to finish there season else where we will be stronger for the remainder of the season. 

16 minutes ago, cornishlegend said:

Where's the saltings again. 

No these players weren't returning before Brian actually packed it In last week but made official yesterday. With the handful of decent players with had along with returning players and a couple due to finish there season else where we will be stronger for the remainder of the season. 

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what happens! 

3 hours ago, Dagerags said:

Not sure who he was but when carharrack came to The Saltings 2 weeks ago there was a man in charge seemed very organised and involved so if he’s now in charge I can actually see them improving. 

Think he is called Mark Wilcox- he used to coach all the kids teams a few years ago and run the youth league. Decent chap - very fair.

Difficult for whoever comes in at Carharrack with only 1 side now as no reserve players to call on and clearly the current combo side not good enough to compete at the level they are at - good luck to whoever takes over but the question would be where are they going to lure the players in from to improve the side as nobody is going to want to go there mid season and get tanked every week or have they got hold of that bloke from Chitty Chitty bang bang with the funny hat and horse with a dodgy cart with bars down the side to do their ‘scouting’ 

well done to Brian Fisher for sticking it out as long as he did but I would be surprised if Carharrack were not lining up for the Trelawny Prem next year or worse the way it seems to be going.....I sincerely hope they prove me wrong as some good people behind the scenes down there but sadly you cannot lose an entire side with a reserve side that had a 4 division gap and expect everything to be alright

I would like to thank Richard Chown and the committee at Carharrack for supporting me over the past 6 months.

My decision to step down was not an easy one.

I am in the middle of a major rebuild of my house (which wont be finished until May) and I was finding it more and more difficult to find the time to chase players, find players and to put a side out each week with the availability we had (Last Friday we only had 6 players for the game at Culdrose and players had to find friends and university mates to fill the gaps to make 11). Not an uncommon situation I had to deal with week in and week out.

I therefore felt that the club needed someone with more time on their hands to try and rebuild Carharrack and chase players availability.

I had spoken to the Chairman during last week about my intentions and he is now in the process of pulling a new management team together.

I wish the new manager and all the players good luck and hope that someone with more time will be able to keep Carharrack afloat and rebuild for next season. 👍