Cornwall Football Forum

SAINSBURY'S WANT TO BOOT OUT SALTASH UNITED

Disappointing reading in the Plymouth Herald where it says Sainsbury's want to build a new superstore, a garage and parking for 350 cards on Kimberly Stadium and it would appear half of Warfelton behind the ground.

Saltash fought hard to get their 30 year lease which meant the £30k they got from Waitrose to rebuild the perimeter wall.

Who on earth do these companies think they are. They want to buy the freehold land off Caradon council. If successful they will move Saltash elsewhere, build them a new club house and build three football pitches.

I don't think Saltash people themselves are to happy at the news revealed today.

I dont know anything about the saltash situation but from the outside would it really be that bad if they are willing to build them a new clubhouse and three pitches like you said its not like saltash will end up with nothing????

You never know they might even end up in a betterlocation.

Kimberley Stadium is one of the best there is in Cornwall. Why should they even dream of moving, in any case it is not their land. So making them move to a different location will not as far as I know make them a penny and the council will still own the land. So what is to stop them doing it again. In any case they also intend to build on one of the two piches at the back of the stadium.

This sounds like big brother coming along and using money to get rid of a football club. I hope there is enough support for the local community against it who after all will have this right outside their doorstep. The road that passes the stadium is on a direct route into the town and is fairly narrow. In any case why have another supermarket. The town is quite small and does not really need another one, they have two Sainsbury stores in Plymouth. Saltash has Waitrose who gave the club the £30,000 to repair the stadium.

In any case there are very few locations to go to in Saltash and the one they want the football club to go to is the Carkeel Land fill site. So what will be underneath the ground, Methane and other such nasties which will eventually work themselves to the surface. All they will do is take up space that is already a supposed green site area so why should they be allowed to remove another green site.

Haven't read anything but from what's been posted I would say it is a great opportunity for Saltash.

New set up with 3 pitches - could rent 2 pitches to PAFC for training - then Saltash would have some nice steady income. Just an idea. Truro, Bodmin, St Blazey, Penryn - all are better pitches than Saltash as far as I can remember.

To quote a previous poster:

"In any case they also intend to build on one of the two piches at the back of the stadium"

Which leaves St Stephens Borough - top of the Duchy Premier 14 wins from 14 games and by implication one of the top junior sides in Cornwall - potentially homeless.

We havent been offered a new pitch. Or contacted at all for that matter....

I would guess that Saltash could come out of this very well -

Years ago Asda bought the St Austell RFC ground and the Rugby Club had a brand spanking new pitch, stand, training pitches etc... they appeared to do well out of the deal - unless anyone in St Austell knows more than I do and can shed more light on it..?

Guest Postie Pidge

I may have it wrong but St Austell Rugby Club, once in a prime location were moved to an out of town stadium/ground where I believe they suffered big time financially

It seems as if Saltash could be on the move. They are replacing the prime location of Kimberley Stadium in the middle of Saltash to a place in the country a couple of miles west of Saltash at Carkeel after nearly 57 years in residence.

Just one thought. Saltash has always had a thriving social club and is what you would call a proper football club. To many Kimberley is the perfect location in the middle of town to attract people who can walk to and from the facility for their entertainment or to watch a foootball match. Will the outlying facility be able to attract those same people.

The club held a committee meeting on Tuesday and decided to support Sainsbury's proposal. The clubs statement reads:

"Saltash United Football Club are willing to support the proposed redevelopment of the Kimberley Stadium site strictly on the basis that Sainsbury's rehouse the club to their complete satisfaction.

"The Committee and Trustees have thought long and hard about moving from our firmly established home.

"The majority decision has ultimately been based around what has been considered best for the football club and best for local football opportunities within the town and surrounding areas at senior, junior and youth levels.

"A major factor in the club's decision to support these proposals was that, although our expanding town may lose a football pitch at Kimberley Stadium, it will gain two additional grass football pitches as well as an additional all-weather pitch at the proposed Carkeel site.

"Another hugely important factor in our decision was that we would be rehoused on a freehold arrangement opposed to our current less secure leasehold arrangement, ensuring the survival and preservation of the town's senior football club for generations to come.

"As well as the brand new facilities, the club would also benefit from improved and modern changing rooms, grandstand and clubhouse, giving the town the best facilities, at this level in probably the whole of Devon and Cornwall."

Just one thought. Saltash has always had a thriving social club and is what you would call a proper football club. To many Kimberley is the perfect location in the middle of town to attract people who can walk to and from the facility for their entertainment or to watch a foootball match. Will the outlying facility be able to attract those same people

On my visits to saltash, when the whistle goes everyone rushes out to the car park, very few walk there from my experience. same with social clubs, still very few people walk to functions, either the driver takes people there or taxi. Only from seeing the Herald, it would appear that a new stadium would be their's, just look at pro clubs who have moved to better facilities, lower leagues to, like Dorchester (Tesco).

Obviously the detail will be in any agreement, but like others here, snap their hand off. :thumbsup:

It makes you think how much building land is worth nowadays for supermarkets and housing.

Some clubs that own their own grounds, being in the middle of a town or village must be sitting on a fortune.

If a club is a bit run down or needs a new clubhouse or stand. Get planning permission, flog your ground to the highest bidder and move just outside the town or village and have new facilities.

I wonder which club in Cornwall, not being cash rich but asset rich, ie the value of their ground if for sale for redevelopment.