Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy League - Saturday 5th January 2019

Lanivet 4 Losty 1. We scored first from a corner but never really looked cohesive. Lanivet equalised before half time from the spot. The second half was nip and tuck until I completely missed a through ball allowing their forward to walk yhe ball into an empty net. This deflated us totally and we never got off the floor with Lanlivet scoring two further goals both well taken by their centre forward who finished with a hat trick. Lanivet deserved to win and I hope they do well in the cup. Sorry to my team mates and hopefully we put it right next week.

Duchy Four - St Cleer Reserves 2 - 2 St Mawgan Reserves

Competitive and entertaining game overall, quietly & sensibly kelp under control by Sam Doble. The pitch looked in great shape, rolling seems to be out of fashion these days but works wonders when done carefully. St Mawgan battled hard to earn themselves a point but I suspect St Cleer will be thinking they let two points slip away. 

Most of the play was in the St Mawgan half but the home side lacked any clinical finishing and it was the visitors who went ahead after 40 minutes although they couldn't hold on to the advantage until the break. The second half followed the same pattern, Mawgan going ahead against the run of play early on but again the equaliser came within minutes.

Fairly typical reserve team squads in my experience, old timers mixed in with keen youngsters - shame that some of the more experienced players don't set a better example - it was probably always the same and i  just notice it more now.

2 hours ago, Billy Davies said:

Lanivet 4 Losty 1. We scored first from a corner but never really looked cohesive. Lanivet equalised before half time from the spot. The second half was nip and tuck until I completely missed a through ball allowing their forward to walk yhe ball into an empty net. This deflated us totally and we never got off the floor with Lanlivet scoring two further goals both well taken by their centre forward who finished with a hat trick. Lanivet deserved to win and I hope they do well in the cup. Sorry to my team mates and hopefully we put it right next week.

Not like you to have a howler Billy. Couldn't you have done that against us (Torpoint) in your 2-1 cup win? If you made one mistake today, your performance against us shouldn't be forgotten by your team mates, among other games I'm sure.

2-1 loss for Torpoint in the KMD Cup today away at Veryan, after reversing the venue. Disappointed to say the least, but credit to Veryan for battling through and simply wanting it more than us for the majority of the game. We scored a late goal to give us a chance, and I thought we'd equalised when a low drive by Worth was superbly stopped by a strong hand from the impressive goalkeeper. Good luck Veryan for the rest of their cup run.

A depleted Pelynt squad travelled to St Columb for their first game in weeks and having a player sent off for deliberate handball within 10 minutes wasn’t in the script. The resultant penalty was well saved by TerryFowler and this spurred Pelynt on.

They made the better chances despite their player disadvantage and took the lead through a James Barratt penalty. They doubled their lead when Jake Thomas poked home from close range.

Another stonewall penalty, when Liam Faulkner was brought down after evading several challenges, was inexplicably turned down by the referee but it made no real difference.

This was a strong performance from the 10 men against a St Columb team who have grown in confidence, who made some presentable chances and who will soon have a few wins under their belt. Good luck to them

3 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

Duchy Four - St Cleer Reserves 2 - 2 St Mawgan Reserves

Competitive and entertaining game overall, quietly & sensibly kelp under control by Sam Doble. The pitch looked in great shape, rolling seems to be out of fashion these days but works wonders when done carefully. St Mawgan battled hard to earn themselves a point but I suspect St Cleer will be thinking they let two points slip away. 

Most of the play was in the St Mawgan half but the home side lacked any clinical finishing and it was the visitors who went ahead after 40 minutes although they couldn't hold on to the advantage until the break. The second half followed the same pattern, Mawgan going ahead against the run of play early on but again the equaliser came within minutes.

Fairly typical reserve team squads in my experience, old timers mixed in with keen youngsters - shame that some of the more experienced players don't set a better example - it was probably always the same and i  just notice it more now.

Would never “roll” our pitch Mr C, just a finishing mower used.

Gunnislake 1 - 4 St Cleer FC
Zak 'Peely' Peel
Charlie Coates.  
Harry Bartlett.    

Having not played a league game since 3rd of November we went into this game hoping the long break and a diet of beer and turkey would not stop us performing at our best.  With a slight tactical formation change after only 10 minutes we settled down and moved the ball around very well. By half time we raced into a 4 nil lead and apart from a penalty given against us we always looked strong and in total control of the game. 
Back four and keeper organised well , midfielders worked hard together, both wingers created plenty of chances and our 2 strikers with 35 goals between them looked very dangerous and with a good strong subs bench they all came on to continue the good work and help some very tired legs
Very well done all of you 👏🏻

11 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

Would never “roll” our pitch Mr C, just a finishing mower used.

Gunnislake 1 - 4 St Cleer FC
Zak 'Peely' Peel
Charlie Coates.  
Harry Bartlett.    

Having not played a league game since 3rd of November we went into this game hoping the long break and a diet of beer and turkey would not stop us performing at our best.  With a slight tactical formation change after only 10 minutes we settled down and moved the ball around very well. By half time we raced into a 4 nil lead and apart from a penalty given against us we always looked strong and in total control of the game. 
Back four and keeper organised well , midfielders worked hard together, both wingers created plenty of chances and our 2 strikers with 35 goals between them looked very dangerous and with a good strong subs bench they all came on to continue the good work and help some very tired legs
Very well done all of you 👏🏻

Beer n turkey diet nothing wrong with that

Veryan 2-1 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint XI: M.Westall, S.White, C.Westall(C), D.Rogers, J.White, S.Rosevear, L.Gibbons, S.Trethewey, C.Byrne, J.Worth, B.Robbins

Subs used: B.West, A.Parry, A.Richardson, J.Hill, T.Rowe

Scorer: C.Westall

Turns out 6 weeks without football is a long time. Due to a fixture reschedule at The Mill, the game was reversed as Veryan hosted Torpoint in the 2nd Rnd of the KO Cup.

Both teams would've been wary of each other after the long Christmas break, the rust showed early for Torpoint as they struggled to gain control of the game. Veryan utilised the extra man in middle by overloading Torpoint where possible. Their No.9 dropping deep as often as possible to use his strength to overpower the opposition. Veryan's first goal came when Torpoint failed to clear their lines with a lashed shot from 10yrds deflecting off defender White into the Torpoint net. Both teams settled towards the end of the first half with the visitors playing some neat football, however they weren't able to trouble the opposing keeper. The hosts No.10 found himself 1 on 1 with keeper Westall on numerous occasions only to be undone by some superb keeping.

After the break it was up to Torpoint to push their agenda, still unable to fully take control against a very organised side they soon found themselves under pressure from numerous set pieces. After seeing 2 flash wide of the post, Veryan soon scored their 2nd as Westall was mis-footed. This forced manager Bays into changes to try and keep their Cup dream alive. Torpoint continued to put the pressure on their opponents and thought they had a goal back through Worth only to be stopped superbly by the Veryan No.1, who was on top form throughout. Torpoint soon found their goal through captain Westall from a corner. This really put Veryan under immense pressure as Torpoint continued to attack the box. Youngster Hill nearly caught the keeper napping with a cheeky strike from 25yrds. The game came down to a last second free-kick by Robbins, with all Torpoint players (excluding the keeper) in and around the Veryan box. With more top defending the host were able to clear and proceed to the next round of the Cup.

Obviously not the result we wanted on the day but we can only look at ourselves. With our reputation and a very strong squad things just aren't clicking at the moment and we seem to be finding teams on top form. Veryan were superb and the pitch was in fantastic condition, a true credit to the league. As always, a pleasure to have Mr Spurling as the man in the middle. Managed the game with great authority and continually spoke to players when most don't. Great to have our football back. Happy New Year to all the Duchy, see you all soon.