Cornwall Football Forum

Can someone explain this to me because I'm confused 

Carharrack cancelled a game as they couldn't raise a side roughly 6 hours before kick off. We were awarded the points.

Pendeen cancelled a game as they couldn't raise a side roughly 2 hours before kick off, but the game has been rearranged. 

Who made that decision?? Were they smoking something when they made it?? And does that mean when ever my squads not looking its strongest I can just cancel the game and have it rearranged when the squad is stronger??

The last paragraph was said slightly tongue in cheek. The point I'd like to make is surely there has to be some consistency here. Both games were cancelled on the day of the game and for not being able to raise a side. Carharrack were fined £200 and deducted points and we were awarded the points yet pendeen seem to have another chance to play their cancelation, and we don't get the points!? 

Don’t usually check the forum midweek, did this morning and came across this!

I must say I am shocked, what I would pay to see a representative from the league stand up in front of a room of people and defend their decision to refixture this game. To me, it’s absurd! Especially when you consider the punishment Carharrack faced when not fulfilling a fixture for the same reason, also against Penryn. 

Is It different rules for different clubs? Or perhaps the league think they have given Penryn one walkover and can’t award them another? Which would also be ridiculous as both were completely out of Penryns control. 

either way, they need to rethink their decision and do the right thing! 

But why have three teams been treated in different ways.  Both Carharrack and Porthlevern Res have received point deductions and significant fines. I suspect the decision to not fulfil a fixture is not taken lightly be a club committee due to the consequences.  Yet Pendeen have appeared to be treated totally differently after the admitted not fulfilling a fixture due to lack of players.  This is yet again made a mockery of the league committee. Would love to know the reason why so that other clubs can use the same excuse in the future. 

2 hours ago, Harry Pope said:

The last paragraph was said slightly tongue in cheek. The point I'd like to make is surely there has to be some consistency here. Both games were cancelled on the day of the game and for not being able to raise a side. Carharrack were fined £200 and deducted points and we were awarded the points yet pendeen seem to have another chance to play their cancelation, and we don't get the points!? 

Got to be honest when I received rearranged fixture for this game I was surprised obviously as manager of Pendeen happy with this but not quite sure how this has happened,I got to be honest since rejoining the combination league I find some of the rules and regulations very strange and I don’t understand how rules vary from club to club 

The league & committee are stuck in the stone ages. They seem to make the rules up as they please & change without ever feeling the need to explain their actions. I personally feel it's not right when a village team is struggling for players & doing their best to stay afloat, only to be fined heavily when they cant raise a team. Just makes the task even harder & forces clubs to fold. It ends up being the club stalwarts who foot the bill as the club's simply can't afford it. Needs to be a single rule, if you can't field a team you know the consequences. I remember a year ago my team had a wedding & couldn't postpone a game, despite plenty of notice, so had to play with bare 11 including committee members who hadn't kicked a ball in years... yet other clubs have games rearranged as their players wanted to go to boardmasters & couldn't be bothered to travel back on Saturday morning hungover. It's becoming a joke & a guessing game. 

16 minutes ago, Roy D said:

The league & committee are stuck in the stone ages. They seem to make the rules up as they please & change without ever feeling the need to explain their actions. I personally feel it's not right when a village team is struggling for players & doing their best to stay afloat, only to be fined heavily when they cant raise a team. Just makes the task even harder & forces clubs to fold. It ends up being the club stalwarts who foot the bill as the club's simply can't afford it. Needs to be a single rule, if you can't field a team you know the consequences. I remember a year ago my team had a wedding & couldn't postpone a game, despite plenty of notice, so had to play with bare 11 including committee members who hadn't kicked a ball in years... yet other clubs have games rearranged as their players wanted to go to boardmasters & couldn't be bothered to travel back on Saturday morning hungover. It's becoming a joke & a guessing game. 

Couldn’t agree with you more Roy, really is a joke.

1 hour ago, Harry Pope said:

Would I be right in saying that you guys tried to get a side together but couldn't hense cancelling the game? I don't want to see Pendeen punished here for the record I'm just trying to understand how the league have come to this decision

This is correct bud obviously we never want to call any games off and in my 10 yrs as manager this is the 1st time I have to do this I don’t know how the rules work perhaps it depends on how many times it’s happened to other clubs I really don’t know  tbh the fine I feel for any club not raising a side is a lot of money and could actually finish clubs off as you know we seem to get fined a lot for all sorts of things perhaps the combo committee do need to think more about the clubs and try and help them out rather than punish them and let common sense prevail

The ruling is pretty clear as they are derived from the Standard Code of Rules. If giving less than seven days notice that you are unable to fulfill a fixture, you are charged. Game awarded to the opposition and a monetary fine imposed. Do it again, points awarded to the opposition, monetary fine and a deduction of 3, 6, 9 and12 points max for each further breach. That's the Trelawny Ruling which has been amended over time.

20 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

The ruling is pretty clear as they are derived from the Standard Code of Rules. If giving less than seven days notice that you are unable to fulfill a fixture, you are charged. Game awarded to the opposition and a monetary fine imposed. Do it again, points awarded to the opposition, monetary fine and a deduction of 3, 6, 9 and12 points max for each further breach.

Is that a combination league rule or an FA rule? Forgive me I don't know!?

1 hour ago, wazza1999 said:

This is correct bud obviously we never want to call any games off and in my 10 yrs as manager this is the 1st time I have to do this I don’t know how the rules work perhaps it depends on how many times it’s happened to other clubs I really don’t know  tbh the fine I feel for any club not raising a side is a lot of money and could actually finish clubs off as you know we seem to get fined a lot for all sorts of things perhaps the combo committee do need to think more about the clubs and try and help them out rather than punish them and let common sense prevail

Although it's a different league... I proposed last season that when our clubs fail to raise a side for the first time, we shouldn't fine them. 

It got thrown out by the clubs at the Trelawny AGM (much to my amazement) as they felt the £50 was a deterrent.

Just now, Harry Pope said:

Is that a combination league rule or an FA rule? Forgive me I don't know!?

Hi Harry. The rules are all derived from the Standard Code of Rules. Leagues can add to them; those changes then go to the club's and county to be accepted/rejected.

I can't say too much as an official in another league, it would look unprofessional. However, I do agree that there must be continuity between decisions.

Cheers for the explanation Dave. I have been informed that the management committee give clubs the opportunity to explain why the game had to be cancelled and each case is reviewed individually. Knowing the game was called off as Pendeen couldn't raise a side, I can't see how the management committee have seen this case any differently to the carharrack one. Both the same reasons yet both completely different outcomes. 

Harry, I didn't attend the Combo Management Committee meeting so cannot comment on how the decision was arrived at. I would have thought Pendeen would have made a written reply to the charge and the committee have to adjudicate on the available evidence. Didn't I read elsewhere that a ref called it off because the rain had washed the lines away?

My advice would be to get your Secretary to write to the League asking for clarification; nothing will happen because of comments on here - but I understand your concerns and frustration!

Two letters were sent by Penryn A.F.C. to the Combination League, regarding the recent postponement of the Pendeen  v  Penryn fixture.

An email was sent to Penryn A.F.C. on the 22 October, to say the matter would be dealt with, at the next Committee meeting of the Combination League.

I am led to believe there has been an administrative error, unfortunately these things do happen, and the matter will now to be discussed at the next Combination League Committee meeting.

On 19/12/2018 at 11:12, Roy D said:

Depending on the league clubs can request a date off for an event like Boardmasters

11 hours ago, John Mead said:

I understand Lester Thomas (League Sec) has been unwell, which might have some bearing on why it has not been dealt with yet!

John, Many thanks for reply, and best wishes to Lester. Also to Ruth and John, who are I believe dealing with issues in Lesters' absence, and work hard for the league.

Yes, Whistleblower, raises many fair issues like other's, that are numerously raised, and not on the Forum. These, can, and should be addressed at the A.G.M. Or if one feels strongly, ask for a special meeting?

Also like other's, more is being put on individuals, and volunteers, and a few of us are getting older.