Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Lorenz scores again, but Porthleven go Top..

Recommended Posts

The Peninsular West title race was kept on the boil on Saturday as both Liskeard and Porthleven lying first and second respectively at the start of play in the Carlsberg Peninsular Division One West had tricky, possible banana skin games and neither would want to slip up and drop points in their chase for the title.

Liskeard home to Plymouth Marjon were backed by all the on-line prediction league pundits to win by 3/4/5 and even 6 goals. Unbeaten this season and top of the league that was understandable, but I recently watched Marjon and I felt they were a better side than their league position suggests. And so it proved as Marjon went to Lux Park and earned a point holding Liskeard to a 1-1 draw with James Lorenz once again on target for Liskeard. At Peninsular West level he's a young man that is proving prolific. What I also like about him is he's a not just a goal scorer but a player as well and a joy to watch. Despite his goal that was Liskeards third draw on the bounce ! BLIP, or falling away ? Time will tell.

At Gala Parc Porthleven played fourth place St Dennis who again are another good well organised side, difficult to beat and another potential banana skin..

Tom Annear and Heydon Dark, playing in what appeared to be a 4-2-3-1 formation, held the Porthleven midfield together in front of the Porthleven defence and broke up St Dennis's attacks, but for much of the game creativity or vision in front of them in the final third could have been better and the team lacked a natural central playmaker.  Dark had a super shot early on in the game, creating his own space before hitting the ball from outside the box and beating St Dennis keeper Ryan Holland, but the ball hit the bar and rebounded safely back into play. Porthleven were unlucky not to be ahead a few minutes later. A through ball saw striker Matt Drummond offside but with hands up showing he was not interfering with play. Porthleven's Dan Hindmarsh had run from deep, and collecting the ball ran on and swept it past Holland. The linesman flagged for offside, in my opinion wrongly and the referee correctly (but wrongly) going  with his linesmans decision disallowed a perfectly good goal.

On 29 minutes Tom Annear, making his home debut after rejoining  the Fishermen from Falmouth Town, picked up a loose ball, and with one touch to set unleashed a shot from 35 yards which dipped over the keeper under the bar and bulged the back of the net.  1-0 Porthleven. 

A few minutes later Tornado Bello ran at pace into the St Dennis penalty area and looked to trip over his own feet. Cue howls from the St Dennis players but Bello did not look to claim a penalty and jumping to his feet gave chase after the ball. No penalty, no booking ..correct decision.

Prior to the game stand in Porthleven keeper Richard Kellow could be seen flicking shots over the bar as players warmed up their shooting boots. In the 36th minute that warm up practice stood him in good stead as a close range effort from Carl Rickard was pushed over the bar by a left hand thrown out diving up and backwards and pushing the ball away over the bar to safety for a corner. 1-0 half time.

The second half saw St Dennis show why they are having a good season as they looked to use the wind to catch Porthleven by playing early forward balls on the break. That tenacity and effort combined with some team play through the centre saw them rewarded with an equaliser from a shot into the bottom left corner by their leading scorer Carl Rickard.

At 1-1 both teams were pushing in search of a winner, but the Fishermen looked to carry the greater threat and when that man Bello with back to goal on the corner of the six yard box was taken down from behind, this time a penalty was both claimed and awarded. Tornado Bello stepped up himself, stuttered, went again stuttered and shot. Keeper Ryan Holland stood tall as long as possible before dropping close to his left side. He saved the shot, but couldn't quite hold and the ball had just enough weight on it to bounce and squirm under the unlucky keeper. 2-1 Porthleven. In all the shouting, and protesting over the award of the penalty, perhaps St Dennis's most influential player on the day, midfielder Aaron Beresford was sent off, presumably for something he said to the referee?  Shame as he was excellent on the ball and having a very good game until that moment.

The final fifteen minutes saw George Molcher come on for Porthleven and his composure in the hole helped Porthleven look after the ball much better in advanced play and create more scoring opportunities. However ten man St Dennis were not quite finished either and with minutes remaining a massive goal mouth scramble eventually saw the Port keeper drop on the ball right on his goal Iine to keep the 2-1 score line in tact and see Porthleven take over at the top of the Carlsberg Peninsular league division one table.

An enjoyable, incident packed game, not technically great, but a determined collective workman like win against a difficult opponent for Porthleven and they were made to fight all the way for their table topping victory ...My man of the match for leading by example, scoring a great goal and all round driving determination and fighting spirit, TOM ANNEAR.

Finally in a sometimes feisty encounter I thought referee Darren Winkworth had a very testing game and sometimes under great verbal pressure, he appeared to keep his mind clear, was excellent in the main and in my opinion got most decisions correct. 

This Saturday Porthleven are home to Holsworthy 3.00 kick off, and Liskeard are away to ST DENNIS.. 2.30. Kick off.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...