Cornwall Football Forum

ALOUD

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Another one is ''there'' instead of their older. But hey, none of use are perfect are we. Just a case of some folk listening to teacher better than others did.

Mind you, if some folk read more and I don't mean comics, it would help. :)

Spotted the deliberate error there,their or they're Kieth 😋

52 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yes it does, as you can see it change to the correct spelling. 

If something autocorrects then you don’t know what you’ve done wrong. 

There are people out there that have learning disabilities with dislexia being one of those disabilities. 

Yes there are some people out there they don’t know the difference between words and can’t spell but there are also people out there they live with learning disabilities 

4 hours ago, St Darren said:

If something autocorrects then you don’t know what you’ve done wrong. 

There are people out there that have learning disabilities with dislexia being one of those disabilities. 

Yes there are some people out there they don’t know the difference between words and can’t spell but there are also people out there they live with learning disabilities 

When you see the word change, then you can see how it should have been spelt, you either check the spelling, or don't bother.

Yes, I understand there are some who struggle, I have them in my family, but the opportunity is there to learn if you choose.

One of my grandsons with dyslexia can now read quite well through perseverance..... can be done with a lot of time - and patience.

41 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

When you see the word change, then you can see how it should have been spelt, you either check the spelling, or don't bother.

Yes, I understand there are some who struggle, I have them in my family, but the opportunity is there to learn if you choose.

One of my grandsons with dyslexia can now read quite well through perseverance..... can be done with a lot of time - and patience.

If you are to criticise the spelling on the forum , then at least get your own house in order first. Your punctuation is very poor. Just saying.

59 minutes ago, le boss said:

If you are to criticise the spelling on the forum , then at least get your own house in order first. Your punctuation is very poor. Just saying.

Hardly criticising, just one word that is continually mis-spelt.

As for punctuation, that depends on which school of writing you follow, which makes punctuation relatively subjective I  suppose.

Yours is obviously different to mine.

Pray - re-write my post with your punctuation marks....so I may learn from your good self.

In anticipation.

May I politely point out,Older, with apologies for being pedantic,that "different to" should be "different FROM".Also, "may" could be "might".

Sometimes incorrect grammar could be quite amusing. e.g. an ad spotted in an electrical appliance shop-

DON'T KILL YOUR WIFE WITH WORK- LET ELECTRICITY DO IT.

12 hours ago, Adlestrop said:

May I politely point out,Older, with apologies for being pedantic,that "different to" should be "different FROM".Also, "may" could be "might".

Sometimes incorrect grammar could be quite amusing. e.g. an ad spotted in an electrical appliance shop-

DON'T KILL YOUR WIFE WITH WORK- LET ELECTRICITY DO IT.

Hello Adlestrop. I see you follow old English, modern English permits the use of 'to' or 'from', we have an evolving language.

'May' merely expressing the possibility ... I 'might' learn something. 

Brilliant language, and most complicated on occasion ...is it not (?)

Loved your anecdote. 

Regards ... older.

Thanks,Older:for clarification(or showing off!);

When a present or future tense is used in the main clause of a sentence,"May" should be used in the subordinate clause:e.g.  I hope(present) that he MAY be able to come, or

I shall stay (future) here order that you MAY be able for find me.

After a past tense,"MIGHT" is used in the subordinate clause: e.g. I said(past) this so that you MIGHT realise.

On a lighter note how about these 2 gems from Radio Rugby:

Ex Truro boss Lee Hodges extoling the praises of keeper Tom McHale announced: "He's grew"!

Also the normal rugby commentator ,the most likeable Peter Richmond ,was giving updates on last season's Div.1 West game at Penryn v Plymouth Marjon, and  informed us

that the referee has issued a red card to a Marjon player and (I KID YOU NOT) they are reduced to FOURTEEN men.

Incidentally,next time you listen to him on either rugger or football,see how many times he uses the phrase "to be honest "

Best regards.

2 hours ago, Adlestrop said:

Thanks,Older:for clarification(or showing off!);

When a present or future tense is used in the main clause of a sentence,"May" should be used in the subordinate clause:e.g.  I hope(present) that he MAY be able to come, or

I shall stay (future) here order that you MAY be able for find me.

After a past tense,"MIGHT" is used in the subordinate clause: e.g. I said(past) this so that you MIGHT realise.

On a lighter note how about these 2 gems from Radio Rugby:

Ex Truro boss Lee Hodges extoling the praises of keeper Tom McHale announced: "He's grew"!

Also the normal rugby commentator ,the most likeable Peter Richmond ,was giving updates on last season's Div.1 West game at Penryn v Plymouth Marjon, and  informed us

that the referee has issued a red card to a Marjon player and (I KID YOU NOT) they are reduced to FOURTEEN men.

Incidentally,next time you listen to him on either rugger or football,see how many times he uses the phrase "to be honest "

Best regards.

A marvellous language.

The most descriptive and comprehensive one in the world. 

Only learned this gem a few days ago.

Apparently it is seen as abrupt, and possibly offensive... to put a full stop at the end of a text message! 

As I said, an evolving language. 

25 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I think we should stop this criticism of the lack of correct grammar used in some posts guys. Just accept that we didn't all get the same out of our schooling for various reasons. Some folk were perhaps unable to understand - maybe class sizes didn't make for teaching staff to have the time to spend with some students etc, upbringing, lack of parental assistance, many reasons why not everybody benefited from a good education.

Just let it go guys. A forum shouldn't be used to embarrass people in this manner.

I am not trying, nor intended to embarrass anyone.

Reading through the forum posts one night I noticed on 5 occasions the word ALOUD being used incorrectly, so I thought I  would just highlight this fact to the members.

If you are never advised about something, then you continue with that mistake for all of your days, so, better to be told I  think.

On 11/12/2018 at 21:57, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Hardly criticising, just one word that is continually mis-spelt.

As for punctuation, that depends on which school of writing you follow, which makes punctuation relatively subjective I  suppose.

Yours is obviously different to mine.

Pray - re-write my post with your punctuation marks....so I may learn from your good self.

In anticipation.

Here is mine for Le Boss.

Your silence is deafening.