Cornwall Football Forum

RULES OF THE GAME QUERY

Can somebody please clarify the rules assuming the following scenario,

the match is in progress and the manager wants to make a substitution,

the ref stops the match and informs the manager that he can't make a substitution because he has not named any subs prior to the kick off.

The referee has not asked for the names of subs prior to kick off & the manager has overlooked the naming of subs due to the fact that in 99.9% of cases the ref usualy request this info before the match

Who is at fault ?

Can a substitution be made ?

I always ask the Manager for the names of his substitutes prior to kick off,it saves time asking them when they come on.

Not sure why the Ref didnt allow your subs on,you didnt pee him off beforehand did you Derek? thats not like you ;0) :wacko:

I don't know the reason. The ref was Phil Volts who had booked 4 players inside 15 minutes so i decided to substitute one of them because he had threatened to send him off. I did't fancy his chances with 75 minutes still on the clock

The ref left it up to the Bude manager to decide if i would be allowed to make the subsitution who thankfuly had no problm with it.

Always do ask about any late stragglers turning up as well Bighairydave,anything for an easy life me.

At the end of the day its just about getting on with the game with minimal amount of conflict surely folks. ;0) :thumbsup:

I witnessed a different scenario yesterday during a match that threw me completely. Can't say i'd ever heard of it before in my many years. Striker is passed the ball and is charging towards goal leaving the defenders in his wake. He has the goalkeeper to beat as he gets just inside the opposition's box and then..................the ref blows for half time!!!!!!!!!! What the hell???? I must say i was stood next to the ref and heard his alarm on his watch go off but surely he should wait for the attack to end.... the player was just about to pull the trigger. He explained that he was just abiding by the rules and that when the 45 mins were up he blew his whistle. I obviously agreed with everything he said. I can understand what he was getting at but surely that was a bit harsh. i mean has any one ever heard of a game finishing with a corner??? Thought it was common practice to allow the attack to finish.

For the benefit of 'John the Baptist' andfor anyone old enough to remember, there was an incident in the 1978 World cup in Argentina.

Welshman Clive Thomas was the referee of a group game between Sweden and Brazil and with the score at 1-1 Brazil have a corner in injury time.

Thomas blows for the corner to be taken then blows again (for full time) as the ball is in the air.

Brazil score from a header, but Thomas disallows it and the game finishes 1-1. :(:angry2::o :excl:

Guest Postie Pidge

As Clive Thomas later stated, Brazil had been taking too long to take the kick.

Clive refereed a pre-season friendly at Bickland Park back in 1973 when he was holidaying with his family at Porthleven.

I remember, probably 100 years ago, in one of the quizzes on the laws of the game,

"If a player shoots at goal and, while the ball is in the air, the referee blows for full time, does he award the goal?" Answer "No".

Similarly "If a player shoots at goal and, while the ball is in the air, it bursts, does he award the goal?" Answer "No".

(Hot tip to strikers from Jimmy Greaves "pass the ball into the net." If you hit it so hard it bursts you don't get the goal. And you'll probably miss.)

The last one is probably from the days when the balls were made with a pig's bladder to hold the air. I remember when you could take out the rubber inner through the laces to repair a puncture - it was called the " bladder" for that reason.

This Forum is like a history lesson!

Can somebody please clarify the rules assuming the following scenario,

the match is in progress and the manager wants to make a substitution,

the ref stops the match and informs the manager that he can't make a substitution because he has not named any subs prior to the kick off.

The referee has not asked for the names of subs prior to kick off & the manager has overlooked the naming of subs due to the fact that in 99.9% of cases the ref usualy request this info before the match

Who is at fault ?

Can a substitution be made ?

Don't you have to hand the ref a team sheet with all the names on before the game in virtually all comeptitions nowadays?

--

Richard

Something like John The Baptists point. At Biscovey yesterday. Nick Isbell won the ball with the goalkeeper and just as he was about to tap it into the net the referee blew his whistle because the St Columb Major goalkeeper was holding his face. I believe the referee apologised for blowing up to soon, but the decision actually cost Biscovey the game as they were already leading 1-0 and eventually lost 2-1.

Guest Bushranger

Last season here in a local league game i went to head a low ball around thigh high,to my astonishment the referee gave the opposition a free kick for dangerous play saying i was potentially causing a dangerous situation,i fell about laughing....surely he is not right according to the laws of the game?

Scenario from a few seasons ago now, ball played in low to penalty area, defender is closely marking an attacker, the attacker bends down to thigh height to head the ball the defender attempts to kick the ball, luckily the defender managed to stop his kick before contact with the attackers head, I stop the game and award an indirect free kick to the defence for to quote the law " playing in a dangerous manner" by the attacker. My reasoning was that the defender was stopped from playing the ball by an attacker who risked serious injury by putting his head down so low that it could so easily have been kicked.. I hope this goes some way into explaining perhaps the referee`s decision. To the original question on this post the teams should inform the referee before the start of the game as to their substitutes( whether the referee wants the names or just the number of subs), it is not the referee`s duty to chase after the teams to find out and the referee is quite within the laws of the game to refuse to allow substitutions if none have been nominated. I myself try to avoid this situation by if at the start of the game I have not been informed of any substitutes I ask the team captains if they have them, all they need do is to say "yes ref we have subs". This of course can depend on whether the league rules state that a list of subs are presented to the referee at least 1/2 hour before kick off.

IF MR VOLTZ HAD BOOKED 4 PLAYERS IN THE FIRST 15 MINUTES OF A GAME THEN THERE WAS OBVIOUSLY AN OVERALL BEHAVIOURAL PROBLEM WITHIN THE TEAM WHICH SHOULD BE ADDRESSED BY THE TEAM'S INTERNAL DISCIPLINARY PROCESSES.

IN ADDITION, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE TEAM MANAGMENT ARE UNAWARE OF CERTAIN RULES AS PER THE SITUATION WITH SUBSTITUTIONS.

I WAS'NT THERE SO I CANNOT COMMENT ON THE FACTS SURROUNDING THIS MATCH BUT THE LAWS SWING IN FAVOUR OF THE REFEREE ON THIS ONE BECAUSE HE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CHASING THE TEAM MANAGERS.

THAT'S WHY HE WEARS BLACK - SO YOU KNOW WHO YOU GIVE YOUR SUBSTITUTES NAMES TO. HE MAY NOT PERSONALLY KNOW EITHER TEAMS ON MATCHDAY.

REGARDS THE OTHER SCENARIO, THE LAW STATES THAT WHEN THE TIME'S UP, THE TIME'S UP. THE REF CAN ADD TIME ON FOR STOPPAGES, INJURIES, ETC BUT HE DOES NOT ADD TIME ON BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU MIGHT SCORE IN A MINUTE.

YES, I STOPPED FOR HALF TIME ONLY A FEW WEEKS AGO WHEN A CORNER HAD BEEN AWARDED.

THE ONLY EXCEPTION IS THAT IF YOU HAVE AWARDED A PENALTY DURING NORMAL PLAY AND , AS USUAL, THERE ARE SEVERAL DISRUPTIONS BEFORE THE KICK IS TAKEN, THEN YOU ADD ON ENOUGH TIME FOR THE PENALTY KICK TO BE TAKEN.

In support of Referee`s post regarding the end of the half or the end of the game, it`s happened to me last season and this season where i have blown for full time and an attacking player shouts at me " you can`t stop the game now". If I may explain, last seasons game was a hard game with the home side winning 1 - 0 the away side are applying pressure to the home sides goal for an equaliser, now I have added time on for injuries and I know we are at the end of full time, now the attacking ( away) side progress into the penalty area, I look at my watch and I am 15 secs over the 45 on the watch that I have been stopping, I blow for full time, One of the attacking players then gives me a load of verbal abuse as to I cannot stop the game at that point ( rewarded by a caution I hasten to add). Now place yourself in my shoes so to speak, if I had allowed the game to continue and the away team scored knowing that I had exceeded the time which I had added on I would have felt awful in denying the home team their deserved win, I would have felt that I had cheated them.