Cornwall Football Forum

Why are they employed

I see today Mark Hughes has been sacked by Southampton.

How many out there, think like me, why do clubs employ people like him?

There seems to be a huge group of ex-players, ex-managers, who are employed for a few months, a year at most, then are sacked. The same clubs time and again seem be the culprits and none of these blokes are any good. Neil Warnock, Hughes, Sam Allardyce, the list goes on. 

They have one semi-good season and base a whole career on that whilst tainting every other clubs they run.

Anyone agree?

Can't agree with Warnock being on your list! Took Notts County to the 1st division with 2 successive promotions. Got Huddersfield promoted. Got Plymouth promoted to division 2. Took Sheffield United to the semi-finals of the F. A. Cup and the League Cup. Won the Championship and Promotion to the Premiership with QPR. Got Cardiff promoted to the Premiership earlier this year.

4 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Can't agree with Warnock being on your list! Took Notts County to the 1st division with 2 successive promotions. Got Huddersfield promoted. Got Plymouth promoted to division 2. Took Sheffield United to the semi-finals of the F. A. Cup and the League Cup. Won the Championship and Promotion to the Premiership with QPR. Got Cardiff promoted to the Premiership earlier this year.

Dont think Allardyce has a bad cv either. 

4 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Don't focus on the names I gave but there seems to be a group of "managers" that do the rounds going from one club to another and achieve very little at great emotional and financial cost. And these clubs seem to be the same ones time and again that seem to get suckered into employing them.

When, or if ever, there is a group of managers available that can guarantee instant success, then the merrygoround will stop.
Of course no such people exist, but maybe their employers should have a little more patience.
Those of us with a long memory, may remember a certain Alex Ferguson who was given 6 weeks to improve or look for another job.
Popular opinion is that when Mark Robins scored a winning cup goal, it saved Fergusons career at Manchester United.
How many tens of millions of pounds would that have cost United, and how many trophies.
The Leicester manager did the unthinkable and won the premier league with his assembled team, and was rewarded with the sack, presumably because he couldn't repeat it the following season.
Too many people want immediate success on a plate, it doesn't happen in the real world.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, gingerninja said:

Gone are those days my good man, clubs won't risk a non established name these days 

Norwich - Daniel Farke,

Derby - Frank Lampard

Rangers - Steve Gerrard

Southampton - Ralph Hasenhuttl

Hull/Watford - Marco Silva

Aston Villa - Remi Garde, Tim Sherwood

Valencia - Gary Neville

Varying degrees of success, admittedly. I'm sure there are more. 

1 hour ago, peggy78 said:

Norwich - Daniel Farke,

Derby - Frank Lampard

Rangers - Steve Gerrard

Southampton - Ralph Hasenhuttl

Hull/Watford - Marco Silva

Aston Villa - Remi Garde, Tim Sherwood

Valencia - Gary Neville

Varying degrees of success, admittedly. I'm sure there are more. 

Farke was Klopp's youth manager, not so much an established name but was heard of, Lampard and Gerrard wouldn't have got their jobs had it not been for world class playing careers, Ralph Hasenhuttl has done a fantastic job at Leipzig and was always going to get a decent job, Silva was unknown to Hull, but hardly an unknown for Watford and Everton, Remi Garde was a top manager in France, and Sherwood already had a pretty decent time at Spurs under his belt. Gary Neville got the job purely because he's best mates with the owner 

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

But Arsenal did sir - and Southampton ?

Arsenal did over 20 years ago, not now. Look above re Southampton