Cornwall Football Forum

Perranporth appoint new manager

Club announcement 

It’s been a tough couple of days for Perranporth football club, however we are delighted to welcome Ben Mitchell to the first team management.  Ben will have full support from club captain  Ross Maynard and Steve Maynard who will remain in his role as coach. This is Ben’s first managerial job but as a club we have every faith he will carry on where Lee Denton and Justin Miles left off. 

Welcome Ben

2 hours ago, pip said:

Why couldn’t they raise a side Saturday.   Have they lost players ? 

Not lost any players at the club, was struck with injuries and players unavailable! That time of year I guess :( as it was a charity cup match we will be donating money To the charity. 

8 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Limit players to clubs? So, if you sign for say Helston Football Club, you play for Helston. You can't sign for them in SWPL, another club in ECPL, a different one in Combo and then another two clubs in Trelawny and Duchy. 

I think a lot of supporters would agree with you. However the players who sign for multiple clubs must have their reasons. The football administers are not going to rock the boat.

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Limit players to clubs? So, if you sign for say Helston Football Club, you play for Helston. You can't sign for them in SWPL, another club in ECPL, a different one in Combo and then another two clubs in Trelawny and Duchy. 

Totally agree with you  I've always thought that this would be best for Cornish football. You play for a club not a team 

I think Dave might have meant that how would a surprise referee assessment help with players staying at one club or signing for multiple clubs. 

I’m sure referees do have unannounced assessments, I’m a ref and have had an assessor watching without my knowledge. That definitely didn’t have an affect on the players on the pitch though...

Each referee is different and I doubt you would get the same decision given if you asked different referees their own opinion. That happens on Sky Sports nearly every week, Graham Poll or who ever is the man analysing always has someone disagreeing with them

I don't think having an assessor come unannounced at a game has anything to do with player retention or for improving Cornish Football so not sure entirely what Rob meant with his post.

Personally, my games don't change when I have other referees and/or observers watching. What I do know is however if a referee is being observed, knows he's being observed and changes his game accordingly, you're actually more likely to see a stronger performance in law from that referee. For example, if a player kicks a ball away which delays the restart, it is a mandatory caution. This will most probably be the sanction imposed if the referee is inclined to change his performance based on the fact he has an observer there. Failure to caution in this instance would be incorrect in law which ultimately means the referee could drop a mark or receive a development point. However, those not being observed will "manage" the situation. Me personally, if it happens I give the player a choice. Go get the ball or get a caution for delaying the restart. It's safe to say on the occasions I've used this method, a card hasn't been shown.

Correct in law - nope. Common sense and an approach which would probably actually benefit referee and player, yeah I'd say so.

If you get a referee being observed, you are more than likely see him/her follow the lawbook to the letter. 

I'm not sure why that would change thing?

It's not referees etc that need to change to increase participation in the game and instil loyalty to players. It attitudes and lifestyles. 

3 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I don't think having an assessor come unannounced at a game has anything to do with player retention or for improving Cornish Football so not sure entirely what Rob meant with his post.

Personally, my games don't change when I have other referees and/or observers watching. What I do know is however if a referee is being observed, knows he's being observed and changes his game accordingly, you're actually more likely to see a stronger performance in law from that referee. For example, if a player kicks a ball away which delays the restart, it is a mandatory caution. This will most probably be the sanction imposed if the referee is inclined to change his performance based on the fact he has an observer there. Failure to caution in this instance would be incorrect in law which ultimately means the referee could drop a mark or receive a development point. However, those not being observed will "manage" the situation. Me personally, if it happens I give the player a choice. Go get the ball or get a caution for delaying the restart. It's safe to say on the occasions I've used this method, a card hasn't been shown.

Correct in law - nope. Common sense and an approach which would probably actually benefit referee and player, yeah I'd say so.

If you get a referee being observed, you are more than likely see him/her follow the lawbook to the letter. 

I'm not sure why that would change thing?

It's not referees etc that need to change to increase participation in the game and instil loyalty to players. It attitudes and lifestyles. 

Gonna try to change the world ....lol .....unfortunately not a chance.

But - a very good post ....well said.:thumbsup:

On 03/12/2018 at 16:38, Asterix said:

Time for senior and junior football to change.

Thanks, Dave for a great, in depth and common sense reply. 

However my reply was to Ralph and Dave's posts, in changing junior and senior football in general, not just player retention. 

Yet nobody else was asked to justify their thoughts on changing the game. 

I would certainly support the implementation of surprise assessments. As you say, yes you may get a stronger performance from an official who knows they are being assessed as they change their performance accordingly and there lies the inconsistency as their decision making processes change for that one game and then return to normal the next match. 

If they were unaware of the assessment, then the assessor would see the real referee in action, in a more relaxed manner, enabling a better/truer assessment and where possible, identify greater development needs. 

I have had referees apologise prior to a game, stating they are being assessed and knowingly change how they referee for that particular match. 😔 

But, who knows, improved assessment and officiating, may improve player retention. I know that myself and other players have considered quitting football, because of some less than respectful and adequate officiating on occasions! 

44 minutes ago, Rob Hosking said:

Thanks, Dave for a great, in depth and common sense reply. 

However my reply was to Ralph and Dave's posts, in changing junior and senior football in general, not just player retention. 

Yet nobody else was asked to justify their thoughts on changing the game. 

I would certainly support the implementation of surprise assessments. As you say, yes you may get a stronger performance from an official who knows they are being assessed as they change their performance accordingly and there lies the inconsistency as their decision making processes change for that one game and then return to normal the next match. 

If they were unaware of the assessment, then the assessor would see the real referee in action, in a more relaxed manner, enabling a better/truer assessment and where possible, identify greater development needs. 

I have had referees apologise prior to a game, stating they are being assessed and knowingly change how they referee for that particular match. 😔 

But, who knows, improved assessment and officiating, may improve player retention. I know that myself and other players have considered quitting football, because of some less than respectful and adequate officiating on occasions! 

"Less than respectful" and that is the precise reason that there are not enough referees anymore.

The boot at this time is firmly on the players foot !!!!!

On 09/12/2018 at 12:28, Dave Bartlam said:

I have to agree sign for one club only  , might  make some players  to play at their correct level      gives club players a chance  to step up  from say a reserve team    instead of bringing  in a so called borrowed  player ,  transfer window good idea  ,  might stop players moving several times between clubs ,    . Help to retain refs  perhaps have a couple of refs preseason   have a meeting with clubs  to let them know  any rule changes  give managers a chance to find out  what being a ref is all about and maybe realise they are human and can have off days like all of us do .  All of us start to enjoy the game again , get involved  with your club be it helping behind the bar for an hour  , running the line , raffles  making cups of tea , etc  , these are my own personal  opinion , 

11 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I have to agree sign for one club only  , might  make some players  to play at their correct level      gives club players a chance  to step up  from say a reserve team    instead of bringing  in a so called borrowed  player ,  transfer window good idea  ,  might stop players moving several times between clubs ,    . Help to retain refs  perhaps have a couple of refs preseason   have a meeting with clubs  to let them know  any rule changes  give managers a chance to find out  what being a ref is all about and maybe realise they are human and can have off days like all of us do .  All of us start to enjoy the game again , get involved  with your club be it helping behind the bar for an hour  , running the line , raffles  making cups of tea , etc  , these are my own personal  opinion , 

And it is about time some players started helping out. 

They've all had their arses wiped for long enough.

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And it is about time some players started helping out. 

They've all had their arses wiped for long enough.

Maybe lots of players are helping out, but just don't go shouting about it! 

I know that a few St Day lads help to coach the youth team. And I for one have helped in other ways than just playing. 

I've produced match day programmes, I am the club first aider, I assist with match reports when possible, I take the pre match warm up, I've done some coaching during training sessions, I take the players out for a 3 mile run prior to training and even arranged to bring the fire appliance over and combine a training exercise with watering the pitch, during previous periods of dry weather, and finally I have put my name forward to attend an assistant referees course. 

Just because we don't shout about it like Steve, it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. 

31 minutes ago, Rob Hosking said:

I know that a few St Day lads help to coach the youth team. And I for one have helped in other ways than just playing. 

I've produced match day programmes, I am the club first aider, I assist with match reports when possible, I take the pre match warm up, I've done some coaching during training sessions, I take the players out for a 3 mile run prior to training and even arranged to bring the fire appliance over and combine a training exercise with watering the pitch, during previous periods of dry weather, and finally I have put my name forward to attend an assistant referees course. 

Just because we don't shout about it like Steve, it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. 

Read your own post buddy, you are doing it.

What about the other 40 odd players,  same everywhere, a limited few do a bit while the others look on.

1 hour ago, Rob Hosking said:

Not shouting Rob just making a point , glad you do so much for your club , yes  there is a few about  , but many are getting older ,  there are also plenty that talk about what the club should do  but are not prepared to help in any way    ,  I  know what it takes to run a club , but many don't,   

At the end of the day the problems within the local football isn't the officials, its the standard have slipped, club comradery and appeal is not the same. 

There will always be volunteers within every club, and people who put in more effort than others, that's just the way life is.

Regarding match officials in the local game, everyone has a difference of opinion, and without seeming a critic and until i have the time to give my time in the officiating side of the game, i will always say that being official isn't a easy task, but some 'officials' have power trips, which does not demand the respect that they deserve. There are well known officials who officiate their games with how they used to play the game themselves and also the added bonus of 'COMMON SENSE'