Cornwall Football Forum

How to get in next season’s Step 6 SWPL

Issued this week by the SWPL

PRIORITY FOR FILLING NEW STEP SIX DIVISIONS
From next season the South West Peninsula League will be operating two Divisions at Step 6 (the same as the current Premier Division).

In order to populate these divisions, clubs have been invited to apply to the FA by December 31st. Once the full list of applicants is known it is important that the process of selecting them is transparent, so we have agreed the following process:

The two Divisions will each operate under the control of the South West Peninsula League Ltd, who in turn operate under the auspices of the FA at Wembley and it’s Leagues Committee.

In pursuance of the National League System Regulations the yearly make-up of the divisions is governed by The FA, and any club may be required to move in a lateral manner to ensure an even distribution of clubs.

Whilst its expected that the Premier West will be mainly Cornish and the Premier East will be mainly Devon, this is not assured.

Clubs in Devon MAY be moved to an alternative Step 6 Division (Western League) and/or clubs not based in Devon & Cornwall may be moved into the SW Peninsula League – all such matters would be for the leagues committee to rule on and any decision would be appealable to that committee.

Assuming however that the initial constitution is filled by clubs in Devon & Cornwall, the following priority of allocating the maximum of 40 spaces is:

Priority Group ONE:
Clubs who are this season operating in the SWP Premier Division and have not given notice to withdraw by March 31st or been promoted to Step 5 for the following season.

Priority Group TWO:
Clubs who in “any other season” would be entitled to be in Step 6 – Examples are any club relegated from Step 5, any clubs who would have been Promoted from Step 7 and any club laterally transferred or placed in the Division by the FA.

Priority Group THREE:
Clubs who are members of SWP East or SWP West who hold (on March 31st 2019) an FA Ground Grading of G or H including the installation of floodlighting.
Examples include East & West clubs who were (or could have been) entrants in this seasons FA Vase.

Priority Group FOUR:
Clubs who are members of SWP East or SWP West who, on March 31st 2019, can satisfy the league and the FA that they already meet FA Ground Grading H including

active planning permission for any required works including the installation of floodlighting, and give assurances to reach G in full by March 31st 2021.

Should 36 or more clubs (maximum 40) be accepted from groups 1 to 4 inclusive, then no other clubs will be considered for membership.

If less than 36 we may look at:
Priority Group FIVE:
Clubs who are members of SWP East or SWP West who, on March 31st 2019, do not meet FA Ground Grading H, but can satisfy the league AND The FA that they can meet FA Ground Grading G, including the installation of floodlighting, by March 31st 2021.

Clubs accepted under Priority Groups Four & Five will be required to provide a detailed plan and costings of the required work (including grants) and provide a written commitment to meet G in full by March 31st 2021 and further accept that failure to comply WILL result in relegation at the end of the 2020/21 season irrespective of league position.

Clubs in Groups 4 & 5 will not be eligible for promotion to Step 5 or entry into FA Cup or FA Vase, until such time as they have reached the required FA ground grading.

IF spaces remain unfilled from Groups 1 to 5 ONLY, then:
Clubs in the feeder leagues with grounds achieving, or committed to achieve, Grade G by March 31st 2021 may be considered.

Any such clubs will require the FA’s approval to be placed directly at Step 6 and need to provide a detailed background to justify such promotion, it is not sufficient for the SWP alone to allow promotion. League positions of such clubs would also have to demonstrate an ability to compete at Step 6.

ALL clubs – irrespective of which division or league they are now in – Must apply to the FA by December 31st.

Will  St.Blazey  make the cut for the New SWPL West  Division  (step 6)?

This historic and famous Cornish club will have to climb the lower region of the  SWPL 1W (step 7) to regain their prominence with other great rivalrys of seasons of the past.

As I see it Liskeard-Porthleven-Wadebridge-St.Dennis-Mousehole -Wendron and Penzance are ahead in the pecking order to join the 11 (Cornwall) Premier clubs to make up the 20 strong League nexty season.

As I understand its not a Cornwall-Devon split but West-East so clubs for example like  Launceston or Tavistock could float in either (W orE).

I see on the latest transfer list 3 more players have moved to Blaise Park.

6 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Will  St.Blazey  make the cut for the New SWPL West  Division  (step 6)?

This historic and famous Cornish club will have to climb the lower region of the  SWPL 1W (step 7) to regain their prominence with other great rivalrys of seasons of the past.

As I see it Liskeard-Porthleven-Wadebridge-St.Dennis-Mousehole -Wendron and Penzance are ahead in the pecking order to join the 11 (Cornwall) Premier clubs to make up the 20 strong League nexty season.

As I understand its not a Cornwall-Devon split but West-East so clubs for example like  Launceston or Tavistock could float in either (W orE).

I see on the latest transfer list 3 more players have moved to Blaise Park.

I can't see St.Blazey making the cut, although I can't see the league leaving them out, I reckon somehow they will manage to get them through, if even through the Back door! A club of their size should be in there, one of the Countys biggest but my concern is some of the sides coming in from the West league are really going to struggle. I can see One league, with two 'mini-leagues' making it up, as the difference between the two groups ( Premier & West ) will be significant.