Cornwall Football Forum

New Step 7 League update

Just received a further update in relation to Southwest Re-Structure and new Cornwall League at Step 7 from the Cornwall FA

Step 7 League Committee

The new League will initially have a committee of 7 people who will be assisted by Ruchard Pallot and Daniel Greenough where necessary, a list of those on the committee are below and although they have not finalised all the roles the ones which have been confirmed are listed

Steve Carpenter (General Secretary and Fixtures Secretary)

Steve Ladlow (Registrations Secretary)

John Mead (Ground Regulation and Compliance Officer)

Brian Tallett

Mark Adkins

Gary Cornish

Tony Rowles

Meeting and Open Forum

A meeting will be held on Thursday 6thDecember at the Cornwall FA HQ in Bodmin with a start of 7pm

This will be an opportunity to meet the new committee, and ask any questions or clarify any points with them and/or Cornwall FA

Can anyone interested in attending email richard.pallot@cornwallfa.com to confirm attendance so they know how many people are attending.

• 1 month later...

I am very interested to see who this will work. I believe that step 7 will have a West League run by Cornwall FA a Central League run by West and South Devon FA and an East Division run by East and North Devon FA. 

I believe correct me if in wrong that this is to stop the travelling expenses. I am also led to believe that Reserve teams will be allowed to apply.  I would imagine the majority of teams in step 6 would like to see their reserves in step 7. So potentially you could see Saltash Reserves and Mousehole in the same league (so much for travel expenses). Bude !!!! Devon Post code but miles away from the majority of there opponents in the new set up. I am confuddled to say the least.

6 hours ago, Flabby Cabbie said:

I am very interested to see who this will work. I believe that step 7 will have a West League run by Cornwall FA a Central League run by West and South Devon FA and an East Division run by East and North Devon FA. 

I believe correct me if in wrong that this is to stop the travelling expenses. I am also led to believe that Reserve teams will be allowed to apply.  I would imagine the majority of teams in step 6 would like to see their reserves in step 7. So potentially you could see Saltash Reserves and Mousehole in the same league (so much for travel expenses). Bude !!!! Devon Post code but miles away from the majority of there opponents in the new set up. I am confuddled to say the least.

Incorrect. There will be two League's. One East and one West.

Only 25% of the League can be reserve teams. Cornish or West League are hoping to increase this although I'm pretty certain Rey won't be successful.

Still confused. So are we saying at step 7 there will be 2 Cornish leagues East and West ?  Because if this is the case I cannot see where the East Cornwall step 7 league would get clubs unless they are Reserves. If The Step 6 league requires 18 entrance . Liskeard , Wadebride and Possibly St Blazey would need to be in due to facilities. So for the East step 7 that leaves St Dennis and Dobwalls. 

No. In relation to Cornwall, clubs will be in one Step 6 division, part of the Peninsula League ("West" but basically Cornwall), and one Step 7, the new league. The list of applicants for both levels will be released shortly. A list of categories of "priority" for the Step 6 allocations has already been released by the SWPL, and it seems to make perfect sense. Applications for Step 7 can have come from any interested party, they don't need to be members of the Cornwall Combination or East Cornwall League, they could have come from the Duchy or Trelawny setups as well (or I guess in theory Kilkhampton from the North Devon League)

Of the clubs you have mentioned, I would expect the likes of Liskeard, Wadebridge & St Blazey to have applied for the Step 6 setup, maybe St Dennis as well. I asked at Dobwalls a couple of weeks ago and they have definitely applied for Step 7 (i.e. the same level as where they are now), but have plans for ground developments over the next couple of years which could make them future candidates for Step 6.

PRIORITY FOR FILLING NEW STEP SIX DIVISIONS

From next season the South West Peninsula League will be operating two Divisions at Step 6 (the same as the current Premier Division). In order to populate these divisions, clubs have been invited to apply to the FA by December 31st. Once the full list of applicants is known it is important that the process of selecting them is transparent, so we have agreed the following process:

The two Divisions will each operate under the control of the South West Peninsula League Ltd, who in turn operate under the auspices of the FA at Wembley and it’s Leagues Committee.
In pursuance of the National League System Regulations the yearly make-up of the divisions is governed by The FA, and any club may be required to move in a lateral manner to ensure an even distribution of clubs.

Whilst its expected that the Premier West will be mainly Cornish and the Premier East will be mainly Devon, this is not assured.
Clubs in Devon MAY be moved to an alternative Step 6 Division (Western League) and/or clubs not based in Devon & Cornwall may be moved into the SW Peninsula League – all such matters would be for the leagues committee to rule on and any decision would be appealable to that committee.

Assuming however that the initial constitution is filled by clubs in Devon & Cornwall, the following priority of allocating the maximum of 40 spaces is:

Priority Group ONE:

Clubs who are this season operating in the SWP Premier Division and have not given notice to withdraw by March 31st or been promoted to Step 5 for the following season.

Priority Group TWO:

Clubs who in “any other season” would be entitled to be in Step 6 – Examples are any club relegated from Step 5, any clubs who would have been Promoted from Step 7 and any club laterally transferred or placed in the Division by the FA.

Priority Group THREE:

Clubs who are members of SWP East or SWP West who hold (on March 31st 2019) an FA Ground Grading of G or H including the installation of floodlighting.
Examples include East & West clubs who were (or could have been) entrants in this seasons FA Vase.

Priority Group FOUR:

Clubs who are members of SWP East or SWP West who, on March 31st 2019, can satisfy the league and the FA that they already meet FA Ground Grading H including active planning permission for any required works including the installation of floodlighting, and give assurances to reach G in full by March 31st 2021.

Should 36 or more clubs (maximum 40) be accepted from groups 1 to 4 inclusive, then no other clubs will be considered for membership.
If less than 36 we may look at:

Priority Group FIVE:

Clubs who are members of SWP East or SWP West who, on March 31st 2019, do not meet FA Ground Grading H, but can satisfy the league AND The FA that they can meet FA Ground Grading G, including the installation of floodlighting, by March 31st 2021.

Clubs accepted under Priority Groups Four & Five will be required to provide a detailed plan and costings of the required work (including grants) and provide a written commitment to meet G in full by March 31st 2021 and further accept that failure to comply WILL result in relegation at the end of the 2020/21 season irrespective of league position.

Clubs in Groups 4 & 5 will not be eligible for promotion to Step 5 or entry into FA Cup or FA Vase, until such time as they have reached the required FA ground grading.

IF spaces remain unfilled from Groups 1 to 5 ONLY, then:

Clubs in the feeder leagues with grounds achieving, or committed to achieve, Grade G by March 31st 2021 may be considered.
Any such clubs will require the FA’s approval to be placed directly at Step 6 and need to provide a detailed background to justify such promotion, it is not sufficient for the SWP alone to allow promotion. League positions of such clubs would also have to demonstrate an ability to compete at Step 6.

ALL clubs – irrespective of which division or league they are now in –
Must apply to the FA by December 31st.

51 minutes ago, Flabby Cabbie said:

Holsworthy, Bere Alston, Elburton Villa Plymstock, Ivybridge will no longer be part of this then. 

Just read the above. So Ivybridge and Elburton Villa could still apply for The West 6 

You don't apply for "The West 6", clubs applied for the Step 6 divisions, and the split between East & West will be done once the final list of clubs is known. While the border is expected to be around the Cornwall/Devon border, it's going to need an extremely fortuitous selection of the clubs to make it exactly so, so you could have say Elburton in the West OR say Launceston in the East, and clubs on the border between the two divisions could be shifted from season to season as League membership changes.

The club I am worried for is Holsworthy. If the Devon side of the Step 7 leagues end up with only one division due to numbers, they are going to be out on a limb and may be more suited to the Cornwall division, yet I understand the new Cornwall Step 7 division is, at the moment, proposed to be Cornwall only.

The Devon side of Step  7 Is also Fascinating especially if it is only one league as suggested. Bere Alston v Torridgeside for instance that's 3 days travel. It just goes to show the poor quality standards of Football facilities in and around the Plymouth area . For a city of its size having only  Parkway, Elburton Villa,  Plymstock , Lakeside Athletic and on the outskirts Ivybridge I think is a sad state of affairs. Oh I forget Marjons 

Bere Alston to T'side is only just over an hour, to put that into a Cornish perspective that's about as long as say Wadebridge to Falmouth (according to the directions on Google Maps). It's journeys like Ilfracombe to Axminster (which is the sort of journeys rhey'll have even if Devon Step 7 is split into two that is coming on for double the time.

17 minutes ago, Mr Justice said:

Any indication who from the West have applied for Step 7? I have heard that Penryn and Falmouth Town Res are two definates

We don't have the definitive list from the FA yet so I wouldn't wish to pre-empt anything but from what we know there won't be a problem filling the Cornish Step 7 League.  There are a couple of things to be ironed out and meetings are taking place with the FA to get that work done.  We should know the final list imminently and once we do it'll be shared.

20 minutes ago, Flabby Cabbie said:

Will there be a rule on how many over river players each club can have ? And if so will players need to have been born in Cornwall  or have resided in the County for a said amount of time to qualify. 

You will need better bait than that.

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Was that allowing for the meeting with the FA last Wednesday?

There was a meeting in London last Wednesday where many areas were cleared up.  We don't have the details yet but will get the full picture at a Committee/CCFA meeting this coming Thursday evening.  I would anticipate a statement laying everything out very soon afterwards and then things will start to move quickly. 

37 minutes ago, hedgerow said:

The green light must have been given for the new setup.  Apparently it was rumoured it may not happen, but as we all know never take notice of rumours. 

No green light was necessary as any rumours you may have heard were false.  Clarification of a few points was needed and my understanding is that the detail needed has been received.  

One of the next steps will be to confirm which of the clubs that "expressed an interest" are fully committed by inviting proper applications from them. Following this, ground grading visits, where necessary. Still a bit to be done prior to details of the composition of the leagues being decided and released.

When will be the deadline be for the clubs to get their applications in by and will there be a date as well that they cannot withdraw a successful application. I haven't asked that very well, but will it be unlike say the SWPL where clubs have put in their notice to apply for promotion and then when the season ends, they decide not to go up.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

When will be the deadline be for the clubs to get their applications in by and will there be a date as well that they cannot withdraw a successful application. I haven't asked that very well, but will it be unlike say the SWPL where clubs have put in their notice to apply for promotion and then when the season ends, they decide not to go up.

All of this detail will be put in the public domain following the meeting on Thursday Dave.  The statement outlining the procedure and timeline is being drafted based around last weeks meeting outcomes but will need sign off by the Committee.  All will become very clear very soon.

1 minute ago, Steve Carpenter said:

All of this detail will be put in the public domain following the meeting on Thursday Dave.  The statement outlining the procedure and timeline is being drafted based around last weeks meeting outcomes but will need sign off by the Committee.  All will become very clear very soon.

Clear as mud already 😉

10 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Yeah I think there is a real danger where clubs have applied but they are all waiting to see who is the league so they can decided to apply or withdraw. There needs to be a hard deadline for applications because if you leave it until June then clubs could just withdraw and be left with no sides.

11 hours ago, Mr Justice said:

Yeah I think there is a real danger where clubs have applied but they are all waiting to see who is the league so they can decided to apply or withdraw. There needs to be a hard deadline for applications because if you leave it until June then clubs could just withdraw and be left with no sides.

At the moment there are only 'expressions of interest' that have been lodged with the FA.  The process for formally applying for membership will be finalised tomorrow and the deadline will be much, much earlier than June.

Did you know, The Combination League was only officially formed TWO weeks before the start of the 1959-60 season at a final meeting. They weren't even sure what teams were joining until that formation meeting.

In the two weeks they worked out the fixtures, etc, to start on 22nd of August and why it didn't finish until late May the following year.

The second season, which was obviously organised finished earlier, even with more teams in the league.