Cornwall Football Forum

launceston 2 v 1 NEWQUAY AFC

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Newquay could and should have had this 3rd round tie wrapped up before half time. Liam Dingle put the visitors 1-0 up after just 12 mins and the Peppermints dominated the half. Paul Spider Hider could only watch as two Newquay efforts came back off the bar and had Dingle put away a clear chance (well saved by Hider) the outcome may well have been different. The travelling fans found a new hero in the lino who seemed to ensure every decision went in favour of the defenders when Launceston did on the rare occasion venture near the 18 yard box.

The conditions got worse as the 2nd half started and word got round that the home side would pressure the ref to abandon the match had Newquay still been 1-0 up with 25mins to play. However, Newquay allowed the home side back into the match and 2 goals in 5mins on the hour saw the Premier Div side through. Both sides had numerous chances to extend the scoreline but the conditions and some superbs saves by both keepers prevented a replay or an even bigger home win.

The Newquay Loyal who made the trip in good numbers applauded the Peppermints off the park, fully aware that had the pitch been dryer, a glut of goals would have been scored at both ends. A good oerformance by the young Newquay lads, bring on Saltash in the Charity Cup !!!

Thanks for the pint Judge!!

Just to clear something up, Jon Dawe has been moaning all day on the email about his so called 30 yard "shot" that he claims he meant!! All the papers are saying it was a cross but I'd like your view on the goal seeing as you would've had one of the best views in the ground to see the cross shot???

Sorry I couldn't hang around after the match, things to see, people to do etc...

We had the perfect angle to see the shot fly over Billys head, it was definately a shot but boy did it swirl in the wind/rain. The general view from the Newquay fans was that either Billys boots were stuck in the mud or that he thought it was going over, disappointed it wasn't saved/tipped away.

Sunday paper gave you Star Man Spider, you were certainly busy and made 2 saves that could/should have been goals, a draw would have been a fair result but good luck to you in the next round, although we will be gutted if you get Truro at home.

Guest Peppermint

I was in a good position to see Jon Dawe's shot and I am certain he meant it as a shot and as soon as it left his foot I could see it going in. If it is any consolation to Jon I did describe it on my radio report as a thirty yard shot that arrowed in to the top corner!

Congratulations to you Spider on your display and good luck in the next round and the only consolation that Newquay fans can take is that I thought they gave a good Premier League side a good game and matched them in most things except the goals.

I thought it was a pulsating cup tie in not easy conditions but well done to Launceston for getting the match played.