Cornwall Football Forum

Helston make huge signing

I see Helston have signed Matt Bye, captain of Southern League side Bideford on a permanent basis. Can only imagine the size of the brown envelope he'll be receiving if the Bideford manager says they 'can't compete'...

Is this a wise move? Will it last? And what effect will it have on Helston's chances of becoming more of a force?

https://www.northdevongazette.co.uk/sport/local-football/matt-bye-bideford-to-helston-1-5782557

7 minutes ago, Mr Justice said:

Has this what football has now become?  A captain of a club dropping down 3 leagues in standard.

I believe the manager's quote is incorrect and it is only two leagues, but still a significant drop considering Helston aren't exactly challenging for trophies. 

He’s no longer a spring chicken, his best years are doubtlessly behind him. The word “loyalty” has long since ceased to be associated with footballers.Indeed, Bye seems to have left Bidiford for pastures new, and then returned, before, so he’s got form. If someone in the Helston set up has deep enough pockets to out-bid a Southern league side, l’m not surprised that he’s chosen to top up his pension pot!

5 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

He’s no longer a spring chicken, his best years are doubtlessly behind him. The word “loyalty” has long since ceased to be associated with footballers.Indeed, Bye seems to have left Bidiford for pastures new, and then returned, before, so he’s got form. If someone in the Helston set up has deep enough pockets to out-bid a Southern league side, l’m not surprised that he’s chosen to top up his pension pot!

Why is it a massive signing ? When he's only there for the incentives , as helston players dont get paid apparently .

3 hours ago, le boss said:

I wonder how many people can remember a lot of the Penryn players working for WC Rowe - I can for one, so its nothing new is it?

Probably because it was the second highest employer in the area, that may have had something to do with it.

A lot of the others worked in the docks, another major employer in the area, and another sponsor of the club ........see the connection le boss ....not difficult.

This fella has signed for money - not for work, same as that young fella from Tiverton is it (?) I've heard the figures involved ....git on - spend some money.....lots of money.

2 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Think you will find that the manager IS the money. !!!

Interesting you say the above Kelvin, as I was talking to a club officer from Callington last week before Bodmin's midweek fixture against them, they had played you the previous weekend in the Cup he told me Porthleven had just signed Tornado 'big bucks' Bello on the eve of the fixture, Tornado telling the Cally lads he being paid £55 a game & £5 a goal to travel down from Mid Devon but was told to keep it quiet from his team mates !!! 🙄 

Does that mean the manager at Porthleven is the man with the moolah,  if so you must be a wealthy man Kevin !! So what's the difference in Matty Bye playing at Helston? 🤔🙄

7 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Interesting you say the above Kelvin, as I was talking to a club officer from Callington last week before Bodmin's midweek fixture against them, they had played you the previous weekend in the Cup he told me Porthleven had just signed Tornado 'big bucks' Bello on the eve of the fixture, Tornado telling the Cally lads he being paid £55 a game & £5 a goal to travel down from Mid Devon but was told to keep it quiet from his team mates !!! 🙄 

Does that mean the manager at Porthleven is the man with the moolah,  if so you must be a wealthy man Kevin !! So what's the difference in Matty Bye playing at Helston? 🤔🙄

Tornado "big bucks" Bello😂 spot on though Leeds!

I've watched him many a time over the years at Blazey, Newquay and during his brief spell at St Austell... doesnt look like that £5 goal bonus will be under threat as he couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat😂

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

Doesn’t mean a thing Leeds. !  I was just replying to the post from Cornish Dave. If they want to pay Matty Bye whatever they want, that’s up to them. As you well know at Bodmin, if you got it, flaunt it. !

21 minutes ago, Zac said:

Managers replying trying to justify rumours on a forum. Doesn't get much less professional than that. 

🤣😂🤣😂. Don’t take life to serious Zac. If you go back through my replies, I’ve neither denied or justified anything. Read between the lines if it makes you happy m8. Just a bit of banter with my old friend Leeds. 😁

10 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Maybe he’s not coming down on his own. ??? 🤔

Double bubble being thrown around then Kevin, even worse! To afford two players traveling that distance, crickey you could of signed Matty Bye & had some change left by the sounds of what 'Bucks' Bello & friends are collecting ! 🤣

He approached Bodmin a few years back, couldn't drive & was living in Newton Abbot, hope he has passed his test by now or his Railcard going to be expensive ! 🤣

19 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Maybe he’s not coming down on his own. ??? 🤔

8 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Double bubble being thrown around then Kevin, even worse! To afford two players traveling that distance, crickey you could of signed Matty Bye & had some change left by the sounds of what 'Bucks' Bello & friends are collecting ! 🤣

He approached Bodmin a few years back, couldn't drive & was living in Newton Abbot, hope he has passed his test by now or his Railcard going to be expensive ! 🤣

Nelson?

22 hours ago, mattelot said:

Whats happened to the much trumpeted youth policy then .with a good under 18 side and combo side what does that say to the youngsters hoping to come through .sorry boys but you arent good enough ,we're  bringing in experienced players who have no affiliation to the club .

Perhaps they are not good enough.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:18, mattelot said:

Whats happened to the much trumpeted youth policy then .with a good under 18 side and combo side what does that say to the youngsters hoping to come through .sorry boys but you arent good enough ,we're  bringing in experienced players who have no affiliation to the club .

That's why they have just won the signature of Josh Storey as well and he is captain of the county U'18s - I suppose he's too old too.

Sure i heard Steve say in an interview last year that he'd learnt his lesson regarding 'throwing money at footballers'. Said he had been let down to many times and would much rather invest in the infrastructure of a club. 

Seems hes over that already. I guess the year 2020 is coming up fast. 

12 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Did I not witness Helston reserves (no budget) beat Penryn 1st (with large budget) on Saturday?,Did Penryn win the signatures of the Caharrack team or buy them?,people in glass houses

Tell us more Smiler, someone kept this quiet. Are they now getting a mince pie as well as a Rowes pasty. 💷

1 hour ago, Smiler said:

Did I not witness Helston reserves (no budget) beat Penryn 1st (with large budget) on Saturday?,Did Penryn win the signatures of the Caharrack team or buy them?,people in glass houses

LMAO ......bit touchy there boy...t'was a simple question .

If Helston choose to pay the first team, and the ladies team, do I care.....No.

They don't even get travelling money here that I know of.

Still LMAO. 

Rowes have not sponsored us for 5 years or more .

10 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

LMAO ......bit touchy there boy...t'was a simple question .

If Helston choose to pay the first team, and the ladies team, do I care.....No.

They don't even get travelling money here that I know of.

Still LMAO. 

Rowes have not sponsored us for 5 years or more .

And i guess that Penryn's pitch is no longer maintained using Council machinery now that someone has retired. I do love the "holier than thou" attitude

1 hour ago, le boss said:

And i guess that Penryn's pitch is no longer maintained using Council machinery now that someone has retired. I do love the "holier than thou" attitude

LMAO again, how many times have I heard that LMAO continually at these responses.

The machinery used was certainly of a superior quality than anything the council ever owned.

I have been told recently that Helston's ground is council owned (?)

Keep casting, keep me laughing.

Holier than thou - look in the mirror......lmao still.

I took over maintaining pitch in around 2012 the mower was as old as older we now have anew one not as good of old machine we done a deal with bill Rowe for shirt sponsor. 30 years or so it was properly the longest shirt sponsor in Cornwall as for players Allan Pearce gave Darren birchill a job when only a young boy I think he still works for rowes it unow and he has not played for penryn or anybody for years

1 hour ago, skinner said:

I took over maintaining pitch in around 2012 the mower was as old as older we now have anew one not as good of old machine we done a deal with bill Rowe for shirt sponsor. 30 years or so it was properly the longest shirt sponsor in Cornwall as for players Allan Pearce gave Darren birchill a job when only a young boy I think he still works for rowes it unow and he has not played for penryn or anybody for years

I would have told them nothing....just guessing incorrectly for years.....lol

Never mind... No more fun for me now.