Cornwall Football Forum

RAPPO ON RADIO CORNWALL

Just heard on Radio Cornwall ,our Cornish Pele ,Mark Rappo Rapsey is talking on Radio Cornwall ,tmmrw about his career ,should be a real good listen ,Mark was a hell of a good footballer i saw him play many of times for Newquay , Falmouth ,Portheleven etc and he was a great striker no doubt if he was playing now he would be earning big bucks playing for Bodmin or Parkway . Me and Smokie will be listening to Rappo does anyone know what time its on could be up Mt Wise listening to it while Newquay play Camelford and hopefully win

I believe it's due to air at 1600, but you'll be able to listen again on the iplayer. 

Should be a really good listen, Rappo is mr football and loves all aspects of the game. A fantastic footballer and record breaking goalscorer, but an absolute gent as well, one of the nicest blokes you'll meet. 

Talking abut his career? What career? No one cares. Did he ever play higher than the SW League? If not then what a desperate attempt by Radio Cornwall. Perhaps I'm uneducated but I struggle to see how this is in any way a topic of discussion.

39 minutes ago, Zac said:

Talking abut his career? What career? No one cares. Did he ever play higher than the SW League? If not then what a desperate attempt by Radio Cornwall. Perhaps I'm uneducated but I struggle to see how this is in any way a topic of discussion.

Oh dear a bit harsh perhaps

48 minutes ago, Zac said:

If you don’t rate the SW league what are you doing on this forum? Or a bit bitter towards Radio Cornwall or Rappo for some reason? He’s also played for Cornwall, Exeter City and in the Western League, maybe higher? Perhaps you’re a keeper he’s played against!? Don’t listen if you’re not interested or “uneducated”. This forum is here to talk about Cornish football and Cornish footballers. If you don’t rate it, go somewhere else and stop making idiotic comments.

54 minutes ago, Zac said:

Talking abut his career? What career?

You're absolutely correct Zak - it wasn't Mark's profession. However, he has spent many a year playing football at all levels of football within Cornwall and as such wll be of interest to many folk no doubt.

I don't see any major problem with BBC Radio Cornwall Sport carrying a piece about a Cornish born and bred sportsman who participated in the game in Cornwall! And after all, he's probably achieved more and done loads more for Cornish football than most of us!

In that case then hopefully there will be many interested listeners! I would just assume that radio stations would prefer to be interviewing realistic local players/ex players who have made it to the pro leagues - Wayne Quinn, Chris Morris, Jake Gosling, Isaac Vassell etc. I'm sure those would appeal to a wider audience and possibly inspire any youngsters, hence the reason I used the term 'desperate' for this guy. Just my opinion - no doubt he is a lovely bloke though.

Thanks for that 100%, appreciate it, hope you and Smokie are keeping well mate. Recorded it straight after a 12 hour night shift so don’t know how it’ll come out!? Enjoyed the hour with Ross though, had a good laugh and brought back some nice memories over the last 40 seasons! Thanks for the kind words Rob, Sticker and Dave, must admit I enjoyed my “career” anyway!! ? Don’t know how long you’ve been in Cornwall or what level you played at Zac, but I can assure you even though you don’t seem to rate it there were and are some really talented players in the SWL. Played with and against some fantastic players, some were ex pro’s and some didn’t quite make that level for one reason or another. I know I’m proud of those worthless 480 odd goals at that level anyway!! ? Must admit most of them felt good at the time!! ? I will agree that an interview with the likes of Chris or Quinny who’s a good mate of mine would be far more interesting than listening to me though!! Anyway whoever decides to tune in hope you enjoy it and have a bit of a laugh ?.   #cornishfootballisdecent ?

5 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Thanks for that 100%, appreciate it, hope you and Smokie are keeping well mate. Recorded it straight after a 12 hour night shift so don’t know how it’ll come out!? Enjoyed the hour with Ross though, had a good laugh and brought back some nice memories over the last 40 seasons! Thanks for the kind words Rob, Sticker and Dave, must admit I enjoyed my “career” anyway!! ? Don’t know how long you’ve been in Cornwall or what level you played at Zac, but I can assure you even though you don’t seem to rate it there were and are some really talented players in the SWL. Played with and against some fantastic players, some were ex pro’s and some didn’t quite make that level for one reason or another. I know I’m proud of those worthless 480 odd goals at that level anyway!! ? Must admit most of them felt good at the time!! ? I will agree that an interview with the likes of Chris or Quinny who’s a good mate of mine would be far more interesting than listening to me though!! Anyway whoever decides to tune in hope you enjoy it and have a bit of a laugh ?.   #cornishfootballisdecent ?

The perfect response Rappo. Think Zac just wanted 30 seconds of fame lol. Anybody who is anybody in local football knows you and what you have stood for over the years and a fantastic role model for youngsters in the game. The only negative I can think of was you were a bloody nightmare for defenders - I still remember our first meeting when you played Under 18's for Truro - great perm then mate. 3-3 with us at Helston and you must have scored. Big love and respect mate.

Never saw Rappo play as didn't live here then, but the guy is pretty much the definition of legend in Cornish football, and a genuinely top bloke to chat with about all things football. I'll pop the interview on iPlayer over the weekend as it definitely find it interesting.

Catch you around the grounds Rappo.

Thanks Bash, means a lot coming from you mate. Likewise. ?? Yeah remember that game!! Scored 2 at the town end! Remember going to high five my dad behind the goal when I made it 3-3!  He just blanked me and left me hanging! ? Typical defender!!! Would have had 4/5 if it wasn't for you mate!! You were a big tough tackling 17 year old back then bud!! Yeah remember me perm!! Kevin Keegan had a lot to answer for mate!! ? Long time no see, take care Bash x.    Yeah me too DannyO!! Think we would have done a bit of damage in our prime mate!!! You're still banging in Fa Cup and Vase goals now though mate!! ??

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Don’t know how long you’ve been in Cornwall or what level you played at Zac, but I can assure you even though you don’t seem to rate it there were and are some really talented players in the SWL. Played with and against some fantastic players, some were ex pro’s and some didn’t quite make that level for one reason or another. I know I’m proud of those worthless 480 odd goals at that level anyway!! ? Must admit most of them felt good at the time!! ? I will agree that an interview with the likes of Chris or Quinny who’s a good mate of mine would be far more interesting than listening to me though!! Anyway whoever decides to tune in hope you enjoy it and have a bit of a laugh ?.   #cornishfootballisdecent ?

Well said. I am a big fan of the SWPL and you were clearly a local hero by the sounds of it. I was just making a point (possibly too bluntly) that you have essentially agreed with, not trying to get '30 seconds of fame' on a local forum as someone claimed. Fair play to you

Looking forward to hearing your interview Rappo ,be interested to hear who was the best player you played against and who was best player you played with you must of played with some brilliant players .You are a Cornish Legend Mark ,the 2 top players to come out of Cornwall have got to be the 2 goalies Kevin Miller and Nigel Martyn .Hope theres no swearing in your interview because me and Smokie are not use to bad language ,we are ok or Smokie is im waiting to have 2 new knees having 1 done in December and 1 in April hope its not when the G are playing Plymouth Argyle res in December .Have a good weekend Rappo i will be up watching Newquay Vs Camelford should be a good game

Scored 5 in a game past both Nige and Kev mate! Kev still reminds me now when I see him!! Only one ever to do it! ? Think they both went on to do ok though didn’t they!! Nige was sub keeper for our County Youth team in 85 when Morrish Truscott was manager. There was a lad called Trevor Prophet who was number 1!!! Always wondered what happened to him and how he must have felt seeing Nige go on to play for England, cup finals and Premier League!? Funny old game really. Been lucky 100%, played in some fantastic teams with some brilliant players. Would never have reached 2000 goals if it wasn’t for some great team mates. Let me know how the knee op goes, I need one and probably two soon! Too young at the moment apparently though! Just keep taking the 3 tablets a day until then I suppose!? Enjoy the game if its on mate ?  Thanks Dave, that’s my all time favourite photo! Ball in the net, celebrating with the F Troop, my happiest days without doubt. You know me Bash, anything for a goal mate! ? Hope everyone has a nice weekend (even Zac) ?. Hope I don’t sound too Cornish on the radio! 

6 hours ago, Zac said:

In that case then hopefully there will be many interested listeners! I would just assume that radio stations would prefer to be interviewing realistic local players/ex players who have made it to the pro leagues - Wayne Quinn, Chris Morris, Jake Gosling, Isaac Vassell etc. I'm sure those would appeal to a wider audience and possibly inspire any youngsters, hence the reason I used the term 'desperate' for this guy. Just my opinion - no doubt he is a lovely bloke though.

Who is Jake Gosling?

For someone who follows Newquay and Truro should know Rappo is a legend at both clubs.

Great days Mark! Got booked in that game! Trev said he was so chuffed I put a nasty tackle in on someone he would pay the fine himself!! Was only wound up cos he stamped on Gossy about 2 minutes before that! Yeah good old Sammy mate!! My favourite strike partner of all! Played with some brilliant ones but me and Sammy just seemed to click Mark!! On and off the pitch. It was like we were telepathic sometimes, I just knew he was going to win 9 out of 10 headers and I would just sprint onto it (when I was quick)!! Must have had 20 one on ones and about 10 lobs that season! We were nicknamed smash and grab by the F Troop! Think I had 42 and Sammy 28, 70 between us and we won the league and Cup double and lost the Senior Cup Final for the treble! Sammy was built like a heavyweight boxer, 6 ft 4, 18 stone and not an ounce of fat on him! My favourite was his double hamstrings!! Great days mate!!! ?

Screenshot_2018-11-09-20-44-59-754.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mark Jones said:

First Falmouth game I ever watched was Rappo upfront with Sammy Leoance! Pure class! 

The photo is Falmouth v Bath City. 

And look at the number of people there watching, some different to these days. The last time I watched there were between 50 - 60 ! Such a shame.

Think the crowds have dwindled everywhere since those days Al. We were just very lucky at Town that we had the best supporters you could dream of for non league football who created a brilliant atmosphere as well. Remember playing for Town on a Tuesday night in the late eighties against Bodmin I think and there was 900 watching? We went Torquay v Hartlepool the following evening and they had 1200 for a football league game! My mates reckoned there was a better atmosphere in the crowd the night before! Was a privilege to play for Town, just glad I was around in those days to play with those guys in front of that support ???

11 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Great days Mark! Got booked in that game! Trev said he was so chuffed I put a nasty tackle in on someone he would pay the fine himself!! Was only wound up cos he stamped on Gossy about 2 minutes before that! Yeah good old Sammy mate!! My favourite strike partner of all! Played with some brilliant ones but me and Sammy just seemed to click Mark!! On and off the pitch. It was like we were telepathic sometimes, I just knew he was going to win 9 out of 10 headers and I would just sprint onto it (when I was quick)!! Must have had 20 one on ones and about 10 lobs that season! We were nicknamed smash and grab by the F Troop! Think I had 42 and Sammy 28, 70 between us and we won the league and Cup double and lost the Senior Cup Final for the treble! Sammy was built like a heavyweight boxer, 6 ft 4, 18 stone and not an ounce of fat on him! My favourite was his double hamstrings!! Great days mate!!! ?

Screenshot_2018-11-09-20-44-59-754.jpeg

Thanks Rappo. I will show Trev the picture next time I see him. 

I don't know Rappo and living 400 miles away and only visiting Cornwall 5 times a year I'm unlikely to ever meet him . Having scored that many goals in a career  ( not to be confused with an occupation ) at any level is a real achievment  .A player with that ability playing in the 1960's and before would have attracted the attention of scouts from all over the country and possibly he would have played at a higher  level . He  also seems well respected by other players and regarded as a nice person ,which is a bonus . Personally I think its good that people like that can reminisce their life live on radio . Here in Norfolk , before BBC Radio Norfolk became trendy ,it used to be common to listen to ordinary , down to earth people speaking about their lives .To my mind its far more interesting than listening or watching a singer , actor etc etc  being interviewed in order to promote a album , a film or a book ( I assume Rappo hasn't written a book or released an album !!!!!! )

Finally ,speaking as an old decrepid man who's had a very eventful and full life doing things that many would only dream about , one thing that Rappo must feel with a touch of sadness is that he scored all those goals and was a local hero but its now just memories and what he would give to do it all again .

21 minutes ago, fenman said:

I don't know Rappo and living 400 miles away and only visiting Cornwall 5 times a year I'm unlikely to ever meet him . Having scored that many goals in a career  ( not to be confused with an occupation ) at any level is a real achievment  .A player with that ability playing in the 1960's and before would have attracted the attention of scouts from all over the country and possibly he would have played at a higher  level . He  also seems well respected by other players and regarded as a nice person ,which is a bonus . Personally I think its good that people like that can reminisce their life live on radio . Here in Norfolk , before BBC Radio Norfolk became trendy ,it used to be common to listen to ordinary , down to earth people speaking about their lives .To my mind its far more interesting than listening or watching a singer , actor etc etc  being interviewed in order to promote a album , a film or a book ( I assume Rappo hasn't written a book or released an album !!!!!! )

Finally ,speaking as an old decrepid man who's had a very eventful and full life doing things that many would only dream about , one thing that Rappo must feel with a touch of sadness is that he scored all those goals and was a local hero but its now just memories and what he would give to do it all again .

Those goals he scored have helped create many memories for other people. I remember watching Rappo when I was a younger man and seeing the collision with Dennis Annear when both players were stretchered off. How very different things could have been from that day to this. Loved seeing Rappo score and he was my second favourite player behind another legend (who has played in the Football League) Dave Philp.

I saw you many times playing for Portheleven Mark and the player that always stood out for me when i watched you in that great team was George Torrance brlliant player ,People on here mention the name Jake Gosling he was at my club Godolphin i followed his carear and dont thik he did a lot mostly sub at Bristol Rovers last i heard of him he was at Torquay ..Sammy Leonce was a huge player got some pictures of him in a Falmouth shirt ,Falmouth had some great strikers my fav was Andy Waddell . I will et you know how the knee op goes Rappo still waiting for the appointment its been cancelled twice so hoping its done before Christmas im 62 now and it hurts like hell .Everyone enjoy the matches u attend this afternoon hoping the Peppermints can win and get in the next round this afternoon but it will be hard Camelfords goalie Luke Gwillian is very good

Fenman, thanks for that post! ?️ You are absolutely spot on!! Would give anything just to have one of those seasons back! Nice being young and fit with good knees!! The 10 second buzz after scoring an important goal for your team is the thing I miss most! Knowing it will never happen again is a bit depressing sometimes! I do enjoy watching now though, my youngest son and a lot of mates and mates sons are all playing a decent level so good fun to watch them progress. Send me a message next time you’re down Fenman and we can have an hour talking about our eventful lives mate! (The costa’s are on me!) ?. Thanks for that fanfare, much appreciated mate! Lived with Philpy in his cottage for a bit, never a dull moment!! Top top bloke and I agree what a keeper!! Had a few kick arounds and it had to be a worldie to score past him!! Brave as a lion as well. Den another great mate and keeper! Without doubt the worst moment in my whole career breaking Dens tib and fib! Snapped my knee ligaments same time! Like you say was on 9 goals in 5 games for Exeter reserves at the time, and lost a yard after that injury, so could have been a different story but that’s football I suppose? ?  Just can’t believe all the keepers I’ve played against and you break your mates leg! Affected me for a while, remember my nans 70th birthday that same night at the County Arms, turned up from the hospital on crutches and started crying halfway through the meal!! Gutted for Den, worst bit was we saw each other in Truro in the morning and was having a bit of banter about the game! It was live on Radio Cornwall and we were in the ambulance listening to it on the radio lying on our stretchers on the way to hospital!! The worst bit was as we were getting stretchered off I saw my mum and Dens mum Pam hugging each other and both crying! For all the great days I’ve had in football that was a shit one!!  Yeah 100% what a player George “Turbo” Torrance was mate!! Was my captain at Falmouth and Porthleven, got to be one of the best players ever to play in the County. Frank McClintock bought George out the army when he was manager of Brentford. Turbo was a pro for them and for Maidstone before coming to Cornwall. Slaughtered me at times but he made you a better player!! Was great for us younger players at Falmouth. Would just glide over the ground and before you knew it he was clear of 4 or 5 defenders, always reminded me of Figo. Another great bloke as well ? Wadds as well 100%, they only bloke I knew who loved scoring goals more than me! Just a fox in the box! Wadds would rather lose 4-3 and score a hat-trick than win 1-0 and not score!! Predator!! Sammy goes without saying, love the bloke!! What a strike partner ??️ Just looked out the window and it’s clearing up!! ??

Loved your interview on Radio Cornwall this afternoon you have certainly had a interesting life pity you couldnt of gone on to play professional football would of been great to of seen you turning out for Plymouth Argyle you could of been another Tommy Tynan what a player he was ,I remember seeing George Torrance playing for Brentford against Plymouth still got a picture of him in his brentford shirt in 1 of my many photo albums need a extension to my flat soon got so many photo albums just football .

54 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Just listened to this, what a brilliant piece of radio. Set me thinking though, how about making this a series on other local footballing greats. One name immediately springs to mind, how about an hour with Bradley Swiggs?

And kevin miller and nigel martin