Cornwall Football Forum

Kernow Football Alliance joins ConIFA

https://twitter.com/CONIFAOfficial/status/1060223496763121664

Mentioned this a while back but didn't get a very positive response. But it seems a Cornish team has been set up and may end up attempting to qualify for next year's Euros in Artsakh (disputed territory between Armenia and Azerbaijan).

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I quite like this easy to watch YouTube link

More on the origins of the organisation than about the latest developments.

Be good to know more please

Afraid I don't know much about them, they haven't set up any social media yet. Apparently they registered as a company on Oct. 23 though: https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/11637896-kernow-football-alliance-ltd

Yorkshire have expressed a willingness to play against them in 2019, possibly as a tournament involving Ellan Vannin and Jersey.

This is really interesting, and great news. Went to CONIFA final in June and would recommend it to football fans, thought at the time how brilliant it would be to see it hosted in Cornwall one day. Imagine how great a June tournament would be with matches hosted at Newquay, Falmouth, St Austell, Liskeard and a final at the Stadium For Cornwall (that could be stretching it though!). Could be a similar focal point to that of the Cornish rugby when they used to get to county finals at Twickenham. Not sure how the Cornish FA would view players taking part though.

Kernow FA is now active on Twitter. https://twitter.com/KernowFA

Seem to be in active talks with Yorkshire, Ellan Vannin and Jersey over a tournament to happen in 2019 - possibly acting as a qualifier for the Euros?? Non-ConIFA side Surrey are also in talks to participate. Could be like a non-FIFA form of the British Home Championship if they can make it an annual tournament.

On 11/11/2018 at 08:45, Way Of The Park said:

This is really interesting, and great news. Went to CONIFA final in June and would recommend it to football fans, thought at the time how brilliant it would be to see it hosted in Cornwall one day. Imagine how great a June tournament would be with matches hosted at Newquay, Falmouth, St Austell, Liskeard and a final at the Stadium For Cornwall (that could be stretching it though!). Could be a similar focal point to that of the Cornish rugby when they used to get to county finals at Twickenham. Not sure how the Cornish FA would view players taking part though.

A Cornish World Cup or Euros won't happen until 2021 (Euros) or 2022 (World Cup), as Artsakh has Euro 2019 while the World Cup bidding teams at present are Cascadia (parts of Washington, Oregon and other surrounding states of the US, and British Columbia of Canada) and I think County of Nice (southeastern France). I guess Cornwall could chime in with a late bid for 2020 though, using the successful marketing for 2018 in London as part of it. 2022 could be marketed as a summer World Cup for those not interested in going to Qatar in the winter.

New kit being designed by Stingz, who made kits for Cascadia and Tuvalu during the ConIFA World Football Cup in June. ConIFA are also looking at going to the Island Games Football tournament in Angelsey (well, it's unofficially tied to the Island Games as it's not on the official events list for 2019) to talk to other prospective members like Saint Helena, who are playing football for the very first time there. They'd be an interesting opponent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

The Republic of Artsakh, or simply Artsakh, also known by its official name between 1991 and 2017, the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, is a de facto independent country in the South Caucasus that is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan.

Anyone planning on going there if a team pulls out and Kernow gets the nod?

Back in November at the Press meeting Darren Wright the head coach advised that Phil Lafferty was going to be the manager, a team of coaches including the likes of Neil Slateford and Andy Graham were mentioned.

Here’s an episode from November of my podcast: Let's introduce you to the Kernow Football Alliance https://anchor.fm/cornishsoccer/episodes/Lets-introduce-you-to-the-Kernow-Football-Alliance-e2jrdl

• 1 month later...

I've made this sandbox for the Wikipedia article, although it won't get approved for a proper article until Kernow have played their first "official" ConIFA international. Which should be later this year. I'm sure there was a friendly set for later this Spring with Jersey or Yorkshire but can't find anything on it - although if a team pulls out of the Euros this summer, Kernow are in.