Cornwall Football Forum

Managers, what do they know?

In view of the recent thread regarding Caleb Summerfield (who I trust is now back to rude health), I was wondering what qualifications were required for managers at this level of football and those in “Junior” and youth football. The F.A. seems to suggest that anybody coaching at age levels 11+ should have a welfare qualification, one in Safeguarding and Coaching Level one (optional but recommended) and level 2.

I suspect that the majority of our managers survive on experience and enthusiasm and have heard several say “I haven’t got time for all these fancy qualifications, I’m far too busy running the team”, others balk at the cost (indeed they’re not cheap).

While understanding those feelings, I do wonder what price we should put on the health and safety of our young players.

There again, I am about as far from an expert as it’s possible to be. Maybe all our Coach/Managers from SWPL level down to school kids football have all the qualifications needed to ensure the safety of those in their teams.

Perhaps someone with far more knowledge than I, could tell me what the CCFA requirements are and to what extent they’re fulfilled. I’ve tried Google and the FA website but both are are obscure and impenetrable when you start looking for details.

I think you’re talking more on the lines of Health and Safety rather than their credentials to be a manager!!

Whether in the premier league or division 10 of The Trelawney league the same thing could happen, ie: a player could clash heads and be knocked unconscious. However in the professional game there are paramedics, doctors on the bench (only at premier league level) therefore the player stands a far greater chance of being ok. 

With regards to managing at lower level, it’s about knowing the right people or having a couple of quid in your pocket! Hardly anything to do with tactics 

Not sure about what requirements there are for a qualified physio/first aider to be on hand. Every club at SWPL level is probably well served, below that though, I am not so sure.

Remember well the old days of the South Western and Western League , it was usually some old boy in an ill fitting tracksuit who treated everything from a tight hamstring to a double leg fracture with an old sponge soaked in ice cold water. The sight of Ray Burt limping towards you at Lux Park on a miserable February afternoon usually meant a player getting up pretty quickly. A freezing aerosol spray counted as sports science.

14 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

SNOWFLAKES,  ?

Youngsters collapsing twice in a match? you might have thought once was enough! So who’s the snowflake here? the gutsy lad who wouldn’t let obvious physical trauma stop him (heroic on the battlefield, not so much on the football field)? Or me, Who thinks that putting youngsters health at risk is not exactly in the spirit of the game? If it is me, this game is seriously in need of a blizzard!

Somebody needs to take charge, so is that the manager? Referee? Someone else? Who?

To the best of my knowledge, outside of youth football in the grassroots game (outside of the national pyramid), you don't need any qualifications. I'm not sure so much about SWPL and above - although I know that at certain levels you must have UEFA accredited qualifications to be able to manage clubs.

Youth Football is different - you have to be a minimum of level one to be able to do it.

In the Trelawny League, I am working hard to ensure the manager of each team is first aid trained - The Committee have set aside a budget which we are now beginning to see clubs use as a way of funding their courses, which Is obviously a really good thing. We are also funding Safeguarding Courses - although this isn't required as part of the Charter Standard criteria. This isn't mandatory for our clubs to have as I can act as a League Welfare Officer and offer advice to them when requested - more often than not referring them to the County Welfare Officer.  

Everyone should take charge, from the player, to the manager (coaching staff) and the ref. The first time he collapsed he should not of been aloud back on the field of play. The player himself should of refused to go back on especially if its the first time his collapsed and it wasn't  a 'normal' thing for him to do. The manager should of called an ambulance or found a volunteer to call one and get him checked over. The referee should of talked to the manager expressing concerns of the welfare of the player and insisted the player was looked at by someone with a bit more knowledge then someone whos spent 3 hours doing the FA first aid course. So to answer your question everyone is responsible for the welfare of the players. Including the player himself. 

I would think most managers these days have some form of coaching qualification and if they haven’t they would (or should) have a coach with at least Level 1, which includes a basic First Aid qualification.

A lot if not most clubs in the SWPL have also got defribulators now as well for use in emergencies with at least one person on hand match days who knows how to use it. (again this is now included in the Emergency First Aid Course).

I do think however that in most cases the players and managers / coaches are caught in the moment when it comes to making decisions regarding substituting players in these instances and often the player will want to play on (even though they probably should come off).

If a player gets a muscle or impact injury and can’t run then usually that is more obvious and substitutions are made but unless the player has an existing medical condition that they and their manager are aware of (i.e. asthma) they tend not to immediately think about coming off.

Naivety and focusing on the result rather than the well being of the player(s) are what most managers are quilty of in these instances. 

9 hours ago, Anita said:

Everyone should take charge, from the player, to the manager (coaching staff) and the ref. The first time he collapsed he should not of been aloud back on the field of play. The player himself should of refused to go back on especially if its the first time his collapsed and it wasn't  a 'normal' thing for him to do. The manager should of called an ambulance or found a volunteer to call one and get him checked over. The referee should of talked to the manager expressing concerns of the welfare of the player and insisted the player was looked at by someone with a bit more knowledge then someone whos spent 3 hours doing the FA first aid course. So to answer your question everyone is responsible for the welfare of the players. Including the player himself. 

You 'should of' used a dictionary being writing, it's should have! 

3 hours ago, Keith B said:

If we type too quickly Elephant, we can all do it from time to time. I always reread my text before pressing the ''submit reply'' button. Even then, sometimes errors can slip through.   

Have a heart sir. :)

Once is a mistake, many many times in one comment is just shocking. Basic English that's all. No such thing as 'should of' it just doesn't exist in the English language

3 hours ago, Elephant said:

You 'should of' used a dictionary being writing, it's should have! 

You are in danger of sidetracking a serious thread with your petty pedantry. If you really want to bully members for their minor spelling and grammatical errors, you will find, not only are there far worse “offenders” than Anita, but that you may soon find yourself, right up there with leedsunited, amongst the most reviled users of the forum.

2 hours ago, Elephant said:

Once is a mistake, many many times in one comment is just shocking. Basic English that's all. No such thing as 'should of' it just doesn't exist in the English language 3

What, pray, is the English language 3? Equally doesn’t one normally end a sentence with a full stop?

Please forgive me Elephant. I should have checked every single spelling and grammar mistake before posting. If I had known this was going to be an English exam I might of taken a little more care..... or then again I might start tlkng lke ths n jst 4 the hell ov it. 

1 minute ago, Anita said:

Please forgive me Elephant. I should have checked every single spelling and grammar mistake before posting. If I had known this was going to be an English exam I might of taken a little more care..... or then again I might start tlkng lke ths n jst 4 the hell ov it. 

He kin't help it, he be frum Deevon .....kin't speak proper.