Cornwall Football Forum

PARKWAY 2 Brislington 3.

Bringing these guest players in seems to be mostly about getting a side out. The injury list is already pretty long, Ryan Lane and Ben Joyce going off yesterday certainly doesn't help. Parkway definitely in a dip at the moment, but this is when you find out what you have at the club. Players, management, committee and supporters need to pull together and ride it out.

Take your point Ninja, but the Southern and SWPL players are only available when their respective clubs are not playing. Do you think the club should have a reserve or under 18 development  side to cover player shortages?Would be interested in your opinion personally, I am never sure if it works that well when you bring players in and out on a match to basis.

It will work until a player "helping out" gets an injury - will he be covered by Parkway's Insurance ?

Regarding a reserve/development side,Parkway had a successful second string last season but ludicrously they ditched them.

It seems ironic that they (rightly) decided they were too good for the CSWPL-yet they now may be helped by that League,s players

7 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

What about the players on the bench who can’t get on because these guys from other clubs have come straight in and started 

cant be great for confidence 

i get the injury issue but they still fielding subs who are part of actual parkway team. 

I think you are absolutely correct in making that point. A number of players have already left this season and suddenly turned up at SWPL clubs 

To be honest it’s been happening for a number of years at Parkway at the end of the day that is the managements decision And I guess they know best. I’m sure everything will sort itself out eventually and that the club will have a pretty good first season at the (supposedly) higher-level.

Personally I am not in a position to really judge the teams performances this year as I have only seen them in action once but that was a particularly bad day again St.Austell.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Take your point Ninja, but the Southern and SWPL players are only available when their respective clubs are not playing. Do you think the club should have a reserve or under 18 development  side to cover player shortages?Would be interested in your opinion personally, I am never sure if it works that well when you bring players in and out on a match to basis.

The problem is the quality gap between the old reserve players and the first team, the gap was too big so when the reserve players did step up in the past they were ludicrously out of their depth. One of the players they have brought through from their youth, the young lad Rhead, was actually representing Devon on Saturday 

1 hour ago, Adlestrop said:

It will work until a player "helping out" gets an injury - will he be covered by Parkway's Insurance ?

Any player playing for any club must be registered to that club. If they're registered, and they pick up and injury when they are playing for that specific club, then the clubs insurance will cover it. There won't be any rules broken I can assure you of that

"problem is the quality gap between the old reserve players and the first team, the gap was too big so when the reserve players did step up in the past they were ludicrously out of their depth. One of the players they have brought through from their youth, the young lad Rhead, was actually representing Devon on Saturday "

Yet it worked perfectly well with Saltash and Torpoint last season !

2 hours ago, mockey jackson said:

What player's are currently injured or missing? Parkway never seem to put up lineups anymore 

I'm not too sure who are missing or unavailable but if you care to look on their own website, the line ups for each game are regularly clearly there under the results section along with a comprehensive report on each game. You can also find them on the TSWL website (with an edited report) and also on the FA's Full Time league website. Nothing secretive or covert, it's there for all to see. 

17 minutes ago, Tractor Boy said:

I'm not too sure who are missing or unavailable but if you care to look on their own website, the line ups for each game are regularly clearly there under the results section along with a comprehensive report on each game. You can also find them on the TSWL website (with an edited report) and also on the FA's Full Time league website. Nothing secretive or covert, it's there for all to see. 

Only normally follow the updates of teams on Twitter will have a look at the other options 

I wasn’t suggesting it’s wrong to use other players when your short  but looking at the team that been put out there a full bench of parkway players who seem to be not getting games. Are they not good enough ? 

I be shocked if parkway get rid of the manager this season. They knew it was going to be a tough season. 

19 hours ago, gingerninja said:

The problem is the quality gap between the old reserve players and the first team, the gap was too big so when the reserve players did step up in the past they were ludicrously out of their depth. One of the players they have brought through from their youth, the young lad Rhead, was actually representing Devon on Saturday 

Disagree with that.

Jack Rhead got retained by the first team this season, played nearly every game for us last year, did superb when stepped up for the first team.

Stirling Woodside, for 2 seasons, stepped up when asked and did a great job. Won MOTM in an away FA Vase game then not even recalled to the squad in the replay. Stepped up last season away to St Austell. 

Elliot Cunningham did well in his call up. Now doing very well at Ivybridge.

Fab Ewers-Johnson played 90 mins at the end of the season and was outstanding. 

Appreciate the entire squad wasn’t full of players that could step up but as players needed for cover, we had 3-4 that could. And did ! Think with an extra year of reserve football we could have generated 2-3 more young lads too. Fin McBeth, Jake Hawson - both young, quick, clinical strikers. 

Whilst the top 6 or 7 clubs in the Swpl are undoubtedly of Western league standard, this was always going to be a big step up for the club due to the leagues strength in depth. Unlike swpl there are no easy games, where you can rest and rotate players and still pick up easy wins. Parkways first 11 is strong but the clubs is exposed by injuries much more than it would have been in the past. The club will finish this season in its highest ever league position, has enjoyed its best ever fa cup run, and remains in two cups. It is also about to build a new clubhouse. Plenty to be cheerful about!!

On 22/10/2018 at 10:21, Rob1978 said:

Whilst the top 6 or 7 clubs in the Swpl are undoubtedly of Western league standard, this was always going to be a big step up for the club due to the leagues strength in depth. Unlike swpl there are no easy games, where you can rest and rotate players and still pick up easy wins. Parkways first 11 is strong but the clubs is exposed by injuries much more than it would have been in the past. The club will finish this season in its highest ever league position, has enjoyed its best ever fa cup run, and remains in two cups. It is also about to build a new clubhouse. Plenty to be cheerful about!!

Very well put. The Cornish are always there ready to stick the knife in when Parkway lose, but at least they've taken the next step up to further themselves. Outside of the top 6 or so SWPL sides, some are borderline pub teams, who are happy travelling to Tavistock and 'only' losing by a couple of goals. Parkway don't get that luxury at all, every game is a challenge, and therefore the likelihood is yes they will lose more than they did when they were in the lower division. Let's wait and see how poor the Peninsula League is next season once they regionalise it, I reckon they'll be even more pub teams and the standard will drop hugely

I wouldn’t worry too much about us Elephant! We’ll try and make the most out of whatever comes our way. If the clubs don’t feel they can sustain playing in a higher further eastern based league so be it.

Parkway enrolled the services of Mark Russell as chairman back in 2016. As a proven successful local businessman, I think it’s fair to say his goal was to take Parkway higher. Without him who knows!