Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin Town - resurgent or lucky?

Bodmin got another win last night and showing they can beat any team from outside top 6 ( 7 out of 7 wins) but coming unstuck BIG TIME against any decent side (Falmouth-Tavy-St Austell). However with a squad coming back to fitness - are they going to win the race for 2nd?? Bodmin will have a spine of Harvey - Ash - Colwell and Hobbs!! Add the likes of Kai Fisher - Ed Timmons (defence back to the level expected and fit) and midweek guests like Shane Krac - I’m backing them to improve their record against the big boys and grab 2nd against all odds!!

Tavi - Won the league for me

Other 2nd place contenders -

Exmouth (a bit of the unknown but great start and not conceding)

St Austell (had a horrific fixture list and showed class last weekend vs parkway)

Falmouth (dropping points against poor sides following big wins - inconsistency will hurt them?)

Saltash - always the bridesmaid and already dropped points (e.g Stciker aka whipping boys at present)

Views welcome from others but I’m going for.....

Tavy

Bodmin 

St Austell

From speaking to my old friend Andy who was at the Bodmin game last night, he said they were very lucky to get that win and had Callington been more clinical, they could have snatched a win there.  So doesn't sound too convincing. I agree, Tavistock look the team to beat this and with their players having the experience of doing it before, that sets them ahead of their rivals at present (Argyle, Saltash, Exmouth, St Austell).

Bodmin will grind out results and have many games in hand which could cost them if we have weather like last season.

Argyle will fall away when other teams catch up with them on games played.

Tavistock look to be the team to beat. St Austell have stumbled to some heavy defeats and along with the inconsistent Falmouth results Bodmin must be rubbing their hands together. Saltash too if they win tonight.

31 minutes ago, bigbadbarry said:

With Argyle 1st team having many injuries there swpl side are still doing well, when they start getting players back it should only make the swpl side stronger?

Don't know how you arrived at that conclusion bigbadbarry. in their SWPL home game against Sticker last Saturday their team included 3 x first team players  and several pros we're told.
We don't think any returning acadamy players will strengthen the team, could even have the opposite affect.

Just think Bodmin have a top side on paper - stronger than last year on paper but seem to be missing something or someone who can galvanise them!!! They haven’t found it hard scoring goals -and with the vast majority of SWPL defenders scared of Glynn Hobbs - i think they will get a shed load!!

just need to get Jake Ash back fit and the defensive steel associated with Bodmin will return- along with some victories!! 

Hoping for a Snozzle v Bodmin Senior Cup Final too

48 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Don't know why everyone is supposed to afraid of this Hobbs fella ? seen him a few times.

Big fella, doesn't really put himself about much, but always seems to play pretty well when I've been there.

A good footballer in my opinion

You don't know why everyone is supposed to be afraid of him r u for real, put his name in on Google and  your question will be answered. I doubt u have ever played against him I have, there is no doubt of his ability he is a top top player and if he was not off his rocker I am sure he could have made it as a pro easily, but if things are not quite going his way he won't think twice about doing you wether it be on or off the ball. 

Edited by herbie777

11 minutes ago, herbie777 said:

You don't know why everyone is supposed to be afraid of him r u for real, put his name in on Google and  your question will be answered. I doubt u have ever played against him I have, there is no doubt of his ability he is a top top player and if he was not off his rocker I am sure he could have made it as a pro easily, but if things are not quite going his way he won't think twice about doing you wether it be on or off the ball. 

We all know people like that, when I've seen him in football, he has only played football.

So I can only judge him on that

Bodmin were relegation favourite's here not so long ago, so would take mid table this year as it's a new team consolidation, as we are competing with teams who have been together a very long time like Saltash, Tavistock, St.Austell, Newquay, whereas we had 6/7 leave, & the same amount come in, takes time to gel the team together, so we shouldn't be anywhere near the teams above us if they are established teams & been together a long time? It's all about avoiding relegation to the 'Fish & Chip Shop' league where you have club linesman, teams who don't turn up to fixture's etc ?

15 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Bodmin were relegation favourite's here not so long ago, so would take mid table this year as it's a new team consolidation, as we are competing with teams who have been together a very long time like Saltash, Tavistock, St.Austell, Newquay, whereas we had 6/7 leave, & the same amount come in, takes time to gel the team together, so we shouldn't be anywhere near the teams above us if they are established teams & been together a long time? It's all about avoiding relegation to the 'Fish & Chip Shop' league where you have club linesman, teams who don't turn up to fixture's etc ?

Didn't Bodmin have a club member as linesman against Illogan just a couple of weeks ago?

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Parkway had lots of new faces last season and walked the league, so you can't really use that as an excuse Leeds..... 

12 hours ago, Stu B said:

You’re so bitter about Hobbsy get a grip move on pal ??‍♂️??‍♂️??

Time to lay off hobbsy. He made mistakes he paid the price and wastes bug talent not the first person to do it and wont be the last. But you can't fault him in the pitch top quality player. You can't always judge people on there past all the time people grow up and learn! 

36 minutes ago, cornishlegend said:

Time to lay off hobbsy. He made mistakes he paid the price and wastes bug talent not the first person to do it and wont be the last. But you can't fault him in the pitch top quality player. You can't always judge people on there past all the time people grow up and learn! 

Or they could always approach Hobbo himself & discuss/interract with him  ?

2 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Or they could always approach Hobbo himself & discuss/interract with him  ?

Always interests me when people bring up his disciplinary record... im sure its not perfect but very few are.

Dont hear anyone talking about that Newquay striker who keeps getting sent off every other game, probably because hes not tearing defences apart week in week out. Love him or hate him (as a lot of people do on here) hes probably the best striker in the league and would walk into virtually any side in the league 

4 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Where can I find the “Fair Play” league? The one which documents the number of red and yellow cards. Bodmin must have a prominent position there! Also, does anyone do a criminal record league? Just asking!

Yes very prominent.2nd 10 yellow cards allseason!!!!

9 hours ago, leedsunited said:

So let me get this right if we lose, we get hammered on here!! But if we win we get are players slated personally as bullies and criminals ??? love how all you keyboard warriors hide behind your fake aliases absolutely pathetic!!! Grow up fellas!!! 

35 minutes ago, Stu B said:

So let me get this right if we lose, we get hammered on here!! But if we win we get are players slated personally as bullies and criminals ??? love how all you keyboard warriors hide behind your fake aliases absolutely pathetic!!! Grow up fellas!!! 

Nature of the beast I'm afraid.....let it go over your head.

4 hours ago, SWL Veteran said:

Original topic about competition for 2nd place !!! why do people feel the need to talk about things that have been discussed time and time again!!! Any comments on the race for 2nd place welcome - all rubbish regarding personal comments - start another thread!!! 

Old news bores me!!!

Any more personal jibes and they get hidden. Hence the one earlier no longer showing.

Let’s get back to talking football please.

Cheers

Dave Deacon

1 hour ago, SWL Veteran said:

Well said Stuart - a number of people have criticised you and I see you have got your head down and scored about 10 to date - can’t imagin many defenders looking forward to seeing you and Glynn up against them!!! #battered&bruised

Thanks bud 13 in 17 in all comps ?? long season ahead and all but tavvy seem to be dropping points so just got to keep up with pack and hopefully we will be there or there abouts ???? 

44 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Thank you Mate, must admit that I am surprised Panda, I wonder how many were for foul and abusive language. Could this be evidence that intimidation works?

Could this be evidence that we are second in fair play league because we’re a side that play hard but never beyond the rules?!?! 

5 minutes ago, Stu B said:

Could this be evidence that we are second in fair play league because we’re a side that play hard but never beyond the rules?!?! 

No! There are rules regarding foul and abusive language, punishable by a straight red card. If this was properly policed, and the individual referee brave enough (I know that I wouldn’t be) Gilby and the majority of his minions wouldn’t have survived ‘till half time for many a season.

13 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

No! There are rules regarding foul and abusive language, punishable by a straight red card. If this was properly policed, and the individual referee brave enough (I know that I wouldn’t be) Gilby and the majority of his minions wouldn’t have survived ‘till half time for many a season.

O here we go another Bodmin/Gilby hater ??‍♂️??‍♂️ You’re boring Gilby is the only manager that swears is he?? Have a day off if they’re was a red card for every foul word spoken on football pitch every game would get abandoned so don’t even go there!!  as far as I’m aware Someone got sent to the stands from the Callington dug out Tuesday didn’t see anyone on here slagging him off?? The fair play league speaks for itself #EndOfConversation

32 minutes ago, Stu B said:

O here we go another Bodmin/Gilby hater ??‍♂️??‍♂️ You’re boring Gilby is the only manager that swears is he?? Have a day off if they’re was a red card for every foul word spoken on football pitch every game would get abandoned so don’t even go there!!  as far as I’m aware Someone got sent to the stands from the Callington dug out Tuesday didn’t see anyone on here slagging him off?? The fair play league speaks for itself #EndOfConversation

If Dave Deacon says “End of conversation” it is indeed time to stop. If some jumped-up newbie sticks a hashtag in front of runninghiswordstogether it’s nigh on hilarious (do hashtags have any function on the forum!)! It’s  not Twitter, methinks you’re mixing your (social) media.

To the point; the sooner we see a red card for every foul utterance the better. After a very short period of abandoned games and huge fines, it would soon settle down, and we could go back to taking our children and grandchildren to games. Gates would increase and football clubs might  stop folding.

It’s worth a try, after all, the current situation isn’t working so well. Incidentally I am no Bodmin/Gilby hater, they just happen to be a good example of the problem. There are many others almost as bad, throughout the game. And no, it hasn’t always been like that. Like an insidious cancer it has been growing over recent decades.

1 hour ago, Stu B said:

Thanks bud 13 in 17 in all comps ?? long season ahead and all but tavvy seem to be dropping points so just got to keep up with pack and hopefully we will be there or there abouts ???? 

Brilliant funniest thing I've read on here ever