Cornwall Football Forum

Billy Chown RIP

Dave Deacon

Sorry to hear about the death of Billy Chown - a club stalwart of Carharrack, a lover of Cornish football, someone who always stopped to have a chat about the local game, and an all round nice gentleman.

Billy is also the father of Richard, the founder of this brilliant forum.

Condolences to Richard and the rest of the family along with all Billy’s friends, of which I am sure he has many.

Echo your comments Dave, another big loss to our Sporting community .

Played with and against him many times on the football field and they were fierce battles , but would always share a beer and chat after  .

I personally had many happy times with Bill on the cricket field , opening the bowling with him in a very competitive Carharrack side during the 80s . 

Latterly on the touchlines we had many laughs about the "Good Old Days " and the state of his beloved Teams .

Condolences to Valerie , Richard and Jamie 

R I P Billy 

Dave James

This is really sad news. We at Grampound had a regular pair of pre-season friendlies until recently and Billy made sure to give us a big welcome every time we visited. He was a great host in the Sports and Social Club and our times there will not be forgotten.
RIP Billy and our condolences to his family.

Allan Webb
Chairman, Grampound FC

Totally shocked to hear -it wasn't too long ago we had our chats at RCH Treliske (out of the way of the CCTV cameras) and couldn't get away from talking local football.

We first met in the 60's when two newly formed clubs Carharrack and Pengegon had many a battle.

Condolences to the Chown family especially my ex  Maxam workmate Valerie-such a sad day for Mining League area football.

Absolutely gutted after speaking to Jamie on the phone Tuesday evening. Terrible news, some lovely words about Bill already and I’d just like to echo those. Before Bill retired we would talk football every morning at work, usually local football, five minutes would turn into twenty five once we got started! It was weird when Bill finally took his well deserved retirement not seeing him everyday, I missed him terribly! However crap the joke I told him, he would always laugh bless him. After years of him asking I finally had a season at Carharrack and realised what a lovely tight knit club it was with some great people, none more so than Bill and Barry who would spend hours down at the pitch most days. I’ve never known a bloke more passionate about his football club, I’m so pleased Bill got to see all the clubs success over the last few years, knew he loved that! Gave him a bug hug after the Evely Cup Final win and there were tears in his eyes, no one deserved it more. Just to tell you the type of person Bill was, there was a domestic lad at work from Zambia who sent most of his wages home each month to build his family a house. After a few years he managed this but after about a year they had a house fire that damaged about half of it. While he went home to see his family, Bill took it upon himself to organise a whip around and raised a lot of money for the lad which helped him out enormously. One of the nicest blokes I’ve ever met, sincere condolences to Valerie, Rich, Jamie and all the lovely family. A massive void to fill but many cherished memories I’m sure. RIP Bill x ❤️