Cornwall Football Forum

Sticker vesus Saltash

Sticker 2 Saltash 2     Sticker were two nil up at one stage, but playing most of the match with ten men took its toll and the Ashes eventually wore them down and went home with a point.  Mcavoy was sent off in the first half, and the game was one way traffic from there on.       Sticker though will feel disappointed that they didn't hang on to their lead, having kept Saltash out until late in the game with some heroic defending. A point worked hard for and deserved for the effort they put in to the game.

Thought Sticker were excellent tonight. And credit to Saltash to be fair scoring two goals in the last 5 minutes to earn a point. Thought Sticker deserved their lead when the penalty was well saved but scored on the follow up. Reduced to ten men after just 35 minutes they managed to keep the Ashes at bay with some well organised defending, getting back into their shape brilliantly time after time to thwart attack after attack. Young keeper was a safe pair of hands as well I thought! Decent future for him, hope the big fish leave him alone for a while, they’ve nicked half our team already this season! Went 2-0 up well against the run of play when the excellent Bobby Hopkinson scored a free kick that the keeper let right through him! Just had that horrible feeling we wouldn’t hang on for the win when Lee Phillips came on for the last 20 minutes and him and Ryan Richards starting getting chances. Never mind would have taken 2-2 at the beginning. Perfect night for football with the facilities looking lovely under the lights once again. Always a pleasure to visit the old stomping ground these days, well done to everyone involved in the club on and off the pitch.

I might be wrong Leeds but I think Saltash were pretty much full strength with Richards back in up front. Must admit they didn’t look that impressive first half but they certainly piled it on after the break and although a bit gutting to ship 2 goals last 5 minutes after defending so well with 10 men for almost an hour they deserved a point for their efforts. Supporters seemed a decent bunch as well.

29 minutes ago, Sticker Forever said:

I might be wrong Leeds but I think Saltash were pretty much full strength with Richards back in up front. Must admit they didn’t look that impressive first half but they certainly piled it on after the break and although a bit gutting to ship 2 goals last 5 minutes after defending so well with 10 men for almost an hour they deserved a point for their efforts. Supporters seemed a decent bunch as well.

A very good point for Sticker

29 minutes ago, Sticker Forever said:

Referee played 9 mins added time. !!!

That's when Saltash scored their two, to level the scoreline.

3 hours ago, David Bray said:

Referee played 9 mins added time. !!!

That's when Saltash scored their two, to level the scoreline.

The less said about the referee the better! The red card was nonsense! Two players with their heads to-gether Saltash player goes down as if Mike Tyson had hit him! The sticker player gets a red card for standing up! The Saltash player gets a yellow for lying down! It should have been both red or both yellow or a good talking to! That's twice Sticker have been let down by a referee when playing Saltash!!  As for the extra nine minutes well you will have to ask him why!

Yeah that’s why I purposely never mentioned the ref earlier to be honest. Didn’t want the old sour grapes to be mentioned. Thought he lost the game within the first 15 minutes unfortunately. The red card incident was either a word with both and a brush under the carpet job or both sent off. Ridiculous one yellow, one red because one decided to fall over! He then issued about 5 cheap yellow cards after throughout the game. Two at best were worthy of a caution. I have to say though the players were in his ear all evening from both sides which was out of order I thought and I did feel sorry for the lad if I’m honest. Can see why refs are jacking it in left right and centre, who wants that abuse all evening? Often wonder if they have a family member there watching? 

27 minutes ago, Sticker Forever said:

Yeah that’s why I purposely never mentioned the ref earlier to be honest. Didn’t want the old sour grapes to be mentioned. Thought he lost the game within the first 15 minutes unfortunately. The red card incident was either a word with both and a brush under the carpet job or both sent off. Ridiculous one yellow, one red because one decided to fall over! He then issued about 5 cheap yellow cards after throughout the game. Two at best were worthy of a caution. I have to say though the players were in his ear all evening from both sides which was out of order I thought and I did feel sorry for the lad if I’m honest. Can see why refs are jacking it in left right and centre, who wants that abuse all evening? Often wonder if they have a family member there watching? 

I took my kids with me once when I was reffing, they were sat in the stand with their Mum when the crowd started singing Who's the bastard in the black, they asked why was Time for clubs to stamp out  the people swearing at me scared them so much they never wanted to go again.  My crime was that I disallowed a goal from an indirect free kick because it went straight in the goal. All 3 are in their twenties now but still mention it from time to time. Time for clubs to sort out they abuse me thinks.

56 minutes ago, hoppit said:

Time for clubs to sort out they abuse me thinks.

Lets not go down that path again, except to say that refs COULD set an example by stopping the on field abuse with a few red cards.
Unfortunately the attitude is that it's part of the modern game, so accept it and move on.   So sad  really

1 hour ago, We Two said:

Lets not go down that path again, except to say that refs COULD set an example by stopping the on field abuse with a few red cards.
Unfortunately the attitude is that it's part of the modern game, so accept it and move on.   So sad  really

So sad that some folk have shrugged their shoulders, accepted the indefensible, and given up the ghost. Let us all go down that path again until abusive language is regarded as intolerable, just like racism and homophobia (and about time for them too).

Meanwhile, this from a groundhopper:

South West Peninsula League, Premier Division 
Sticker 2 Saltash United 2 
Admission £5 inc programme Attendance about 90 

Away from the A30 that pounds deep into the heart of Cornwall and down the country lanes, through Nanpean, which sounds like it should be the setting for a Vietnamese war film, and Foxhole, which is the quintessential name of a village if ever I've heard one, through a valley on a road which has grass growing up the middle, and there, in the middle of precisely nowhere, in the heart of the county's rurality, stands Sticker AFC, listing gently on a sideways slope that carries the ball out towards the fields in the distance. When I arrived the sun was just setting, dipping its way disconsolately behind the hills, apologetically ending a cloudless Cornish day. If you were ever looking for a setting of peace and tranquility, here it is, an oasis of quiet. It is a gorgeous ground, set amongst nothing but countryside, a small stand and two elongated bus shelters perched on either side to provide some cover from the elements which must prevail in the cold winter months in this elevated setting. 

And then came the football team. Argumentative, disruptive, discombobulated. In the first couple of minutes Sticker's roly-poly #8, a mouth as big as his stomach, felt he was fouled, belly-flopped on top of the ball, and picked it up and carried it to the referee, foul-mouthed rhetoric frothing forth. Regrettably, for him at least, the referee did not see a foul and should have booked him for deliberate handball and/or dissent but merely made his feelings clear. He was a young lad but more than capable, but not stamping his authority on the game caused further problems. The comments, the abuse, the arguments never ceased, even after the sending off of the Sticker #10 for a ridiculous head butt, by which time Sticker had taken the lead through a controversial penalty, missed, but converted on the rebound. 

I would like to like Sticker. I would like to love Sticker, a team who had not won all season, a team with a beautiful ground in a beautiful location whose very reason for being could be to play beautiful football. But they were full of niggles and skirmish, and the manager's in depth question of this young referee was nothing but provocative. Saltash meanwhile lowered themselves to Sticker's depth. All hustle, all bustle, all the ball but resolutely unable or unwilling to shoot on target, Sticker's 10 played the defence to the Ashes attack. Sticker's second attack of the game came with 20 minutes remaining. Their striker, their only striker, the only player who tried to get into Saltash's half, somehow won a free kick. It was miles from goal. Roly-poly man shut his mouth for a change, took the free kick, scuffed it, but worse, the Saltash keeper muffed it. 2-0. 

Late, but not too late, Saltash woke up. Goalmouth scramble followed goalmouth scramble, shots became closer rather than disappearing into the darkness outside the ground, and with 5 minutes left they pulled one back. There was now a full on siege. It wasn't a case of 21 men inside the Sticker half, rather at one point there was 21 men in the Sticker penalty area. Into injury time, and the umpteenth goalmouth scramble yielded the equaliser. They had another good chance to win it, but the shot joined the sky high brigade. 

What an unfortunate choice of game for this particular groundhopper, let's hope his next game doesn't cause him such misery.    Did he arrive with the intention of enjoying himself, or was it to make personal insults about players and managers.
We thought we detected a little bias in favour of the Ashes, but as his rambling continued, he then chose to accuse them of lowering themselves to Stickers level !!
Our advice to him would be to distance yourself from football, take up tiddlywinks, and follow it up with a couple of happy pills. ?

The question has been raised time and time again why referees do it? The abuse the refs get at level four is ridiculous. Want to know what I think would sort it... Take the marking of referees away from the clubs and also make the players/mangers actions have an effect on more than just the club's bank balance.

Dissent costs £10 for the player but can also lead to a loss of control for the match official on the day - there's nothing worse for a referee than the feeling of losing control of a match. My opinion, use the amount of red cards/yellow cards/misconduct charges against the club which affects it's chances of receiving FA/Football Foundation funding. Hit clubs where it hurts and it would soon stop. Take away their Charter Standard Status, take away any form of funding so they would have to source their own cash injection to improve facilities, they will soon learn. 

As a  level 6-5 referee who often works with level fours on SWPL, I find it incredibly frustrating on the sidelines when I see these very good referees having to "manage" these situations. A bad game in the eyes of the guy who marks the referee could be the difference between the referee gaining promotion to level three, staying where he is or even being demoted to a level 5 - even though the referee could have done absolutely everything in accordance with the lawbook. I certainly have no desire to reach level four because there would not be 22 players left on the field at the end of the game should attitudes and behaviour remain the same. I'd reach level four and then be demoted the season after because my club marks would be poor - I wouldn't tolerate it. 

I wish the SWPL club could experience what our clubs in the Trelawny League are currently experiencing in regards to the shortage of referees. We are almost 20 short this week alone in this League (Duchy are also short).

We seriously need to see a reduction in abuse on Matchday and on social media platforms. Having an opinion is our God given right, however it should be voiced in the correct manner.

My own personal opinion, of course. 

3 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

The question has been raised time and time again why referees do it? The abuse the refs get at level four is ridiculous. Want to know what I think would sort it... Take the marking of referees away from the clubs and also make the players/mangers actions have an effect on more than just the club's bank balance.

Dissent costs £10 for the player but can also lead to a loss of control for the match official on the day - there's nothing worse for a referee than the feeling of losing control of a match. My opinion, use the amount of red cards/yellow cards/misconduct charges against the club which affects it's chances of receiving FA/Football Foundation funding. Hit clubs where it hurts and it would soon stop. Take away their Charter Standard Status, take away any form of funding so they would have to source their own cash injection to improve facilities, they will soon learn. 

As a  level 6-5 referee who often works with level fours on SWPL, I find it incredibly frustrating on the sidelines when I see these very good referees having to "manage" these situations. A bad game in the eyes of the guy who marks the referee could be the difference between the referee gaining promotion to level three, staying where he is or even being demoted to a level 5 - even though the referee could have done absolutely everything in accordance with the lawbook. I certainly have no desire to reach level four because there would not be 22 players left on the field at the end of the game should attitudes and behaviour remain the same. I'd reach level four and then be demoted the season after because my club marks would be poor - I wouldn't tolerate it. 

I wish the SWPL club could experience what our clubs in the Trelawny League are currently experiencing in regards to the shortage of referees. We are almost 20 short this week alone in this League (Duchy are also short).

We seriously need to see a reduction in abuse on Matchday and on social media platforms. Having an opinion is our God given right, however it should be voiced in the correct manner.

My own personal opinion, of course. 

What a sensible and refreshing post, I think that a points deduction would be a good thing , although the way society is now whatever a ref does will not be accepted, more likely to get lynched than respected. Can't see any change in attitude until the world becomes a more respectful place, and I can't see that happening ever.

We believe that a referee has to give a written report to the governing body, to justify the decisions  made in the course of a game.
These of course can be challenged by a club or player should they wish.  
In theory then if a referee over a period of time has consistently made decisions that are disputed by clubs or players and given a low marking, he/she can be assessed by an independent official from CCFA, who in turn would decide if the marking was justified.     If not they should be ignored and not affect their chances of promotion if as suggested, that is the reason why abuse is overlooked.
Most fair minded people would agree that a winning team will give a reasonable mark, whilst the losing opposition give a lower mark.
As a matter of interest the FA premier League has independent assessors for each of their matches so no likelyhood of poor club marks there, but the verbals are still mostly overlooked.

On 11/10/2018 at 03:51, Fanfare said:

Away from the A30 that pounds deep into the heart of Cornwall and down the country lanes, through Nanpean, which sounds like it should be the setting for a Vietnamese war film, and Foxhole, which is the quintessential name of a village if ever I've heard one, through a valley on a road which has grass growing up the middle, and there, in the middle of precisely nowhere, in the heart of the county's rurality, stands Sticker AFC, listing gently on a sideways slope that carries the ball out towards the fields in the distance. When I arrived the sun was just setting, dipping its way disconsolately behind the hills, apologetically ending a cloudless Cornish day. If you were ever looking for a setting of peace and tranquility, here it is, an oasis of quiet. It is a gorgeous ground, set amongst nothing but countryside, a small stand and two elongated bus shelters perched on either side to provide some cover from the elements which must prevail in the cold winter months in this elevated setting. 

And then came the football team. Argumentative, disruptive, discombobulated. In the first couple of minutes Sticker's roly-poly #8, a mouth as big as his stomach, felt he was fouled, belly-flopped on top of the ball, and picked it up and carried it to the referee, foul-mouthed rhetoric frothing forth. Regrettably, for him at least, the referee did not see a foul and should have booked him for deliberate handball and/or dissent but merely made his feelings clear. He was a young lad but more than capable, but not stamping his authority on the game caused further problems. The comments, the abuse, the arguments never ceased, even after the sending off of the Sticker #10 for a ridiculous head butt, by which time Sticker had taken the lead through a controversial penalty, missed, but converted on the rebound. 

I would like to like Sticker. I would like to love Sticker, a team who had not won all season, a team with a beautiful ground in a beautiful location whose very reason for being could be to play beautiful football. But they were full of niggles and skirmish, and the manager's in depth question of this young referee was nothing but provocative. Saltash meanwhile lowered themselves to Sticker's depth. All hustle, all bustle, all the ball but resolutely unable or unwilling to shoot on target, Sticker's 10 played the defence to the Ashes attack. Sticker's second attack of the game came with 20 minutes remaining. Their striker, their only striker, the only player who tried to get into Saltash's half, somehow won a free kick. It was miles from goal. Roly-poly man shut his mouth for a change, took the free kick, scuffed it, but worse, the Saltash keeper muffed it. 2-0. 

Late, but not too late, Saltash woke up. Goalmouth scramble followed goalmouth scramble, shots became closer rather than disappearing into the darkness outside the ground, and with 5 minutes left they pulled one back. There was now a full on siege. It wasn't a case of 21 men inside the Sticker half, rather at one point there was 21 men in the Sticker penalty area. Into injury time, and the umpteenth goalmouth scramble yielded the equaliser. They had another good chance to win it, but the shot joined the sky high brigade. 

I have to agree with posting, as it is a good summary.

As stated, a lovely little ground and a very warm welcome, but after that...

Not sure what Sticker feed their players before the match, but I would say it is certainly raw meat! Not a pleasant team to play against at all. I have heard the term "parking the bus", but at Sticker, they park the entire fleet!

What sticker lack in skill, they certainly make up for it in "mouth". 

Living in mid-Cornwall and always looking for a match, I think I will give Sticker a miss from now on.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 03:51, Fanfare said:

" Roly Poly No 8 "  - That's class !!