Cornwall Football Forum

As some of you may have seen, I put a post up on the Trelawny League's Facebook page yesterday to try and gauge some opinions on the current referee shortage. The responses were somewhat rather similar however there were a number of unique answers.

Here are the questions that I asked:

1. What is your role on game day?
2. Why do you think there is a shortage of referees?
3. What do you think needs to be done to recruit more referees into the game?
4. Do you think enough is being done to recruit and retain referees by League's, County FA's and the National FA?

I'll run through the groups (managers, referees etc) and put the response received - in brackets will be the number of people that agreed with the original statement. some have a number of roles (player and referee, player and secretary etc)..

Players

Why do you think there is a shortage of referees?

Poor Discipline & Abuse (2)
Distances they have to travel
Finance (low match fee, rising fuel costs etc) (2)
Referee course is too expensive 
Referee course is too long
Not enough young people
Players/volunteers are lazy
Too many fixtures on a Saturday

What do you think needs to be done to recruit more referees into the game?

Increase Match Fee (2)
Lower ref course fees
Make it compulsory that a club has a qualified referee (2)
Better education through the coaching process

Do you think enough is being done to recruit and retain referees by League's, County FA's and the National FA?

Not sure (2)
League should stop accepting new teams
League are doing everything they can 
Referees get promoted too quick

Referees

Poor Discipline & Abuse (7)
Work/Family Commitments
No interest in refereeing
Match fee too low (2)
Too many clubs/fixtures 
Poor changing facilities

Improve Youth Level coaching
More support from Cornwall FA for ALL referees, not just the "select few"
Bring down the cost of the course (2)
Reduce course length

Do you think enough is being done to recruit and retain referees by League's, County FA's and the National FA?

National FA don't care
Cornwall FA could do more (2)
Referee Workforce Officer is new in the role but is a breath of fresh air - it takes time. It is improving (2)
I emailed Cornwall FA but had no response
RWO and Referee Appointments Officer are doing what they can

Club Officials (Manager, Secretary etc and/or spectators

Ageing referees retiring with no younger replacements
Abuse/Discipline (4)
Work/Family Commitments (2)
No interest

Make it compulsory that a club has a qualified referee (3)
Create an "overview" course (one day) for volunteer referees (Club referees) (3)
Recruit new referees via college courses
Introduce the referee course as part of a college course (sports)
Reduce cost of course (free)
Harsher penalties for offenders hurling abuse at the referees

For teams postponing games due to no referees, the fixture should be a 0-0 draw and not be rescheduled
SWPL teams should provide qualified assistant referees to run their lines instead of FA referees
Young referees are being pushed up the ladder with no replacements (2)
Referees pushed too fast, too soon (2)
I stopped refereeing for one season and didn't re-register - I was told I'd have to retake the course
More referee training evenings
Trelawny League recruit referees for FA, FA then take the away 
Respect Campaign is not enforced at the higher level 
Too much analysis on TV of refereeing decisions

Looking at the above, the general opinion seems to be, in no particular order:

1. Abuse/respect discipline
2. Referee match fee too low
3. Clubs should have a qualified referee in their ranks
4. Referee Course is too long and too expensive
5. A "volunteer referee" course should be introduced
6. Referees promoted too quickly
7. Work/family commitments
8. Cornwall FA need to do more - however a number of people, particularly referees stated that things are getting better since the appointment of the new RWO
9. League need to reduce the number of fixtures each week

For me, I personally don't find the abuse at the level I referee at (Trelawny and Combination) to be that bad. When I've played/watched games, I do tend to see the young referees who haven't got the experience behind them getting the stick - also the older generation who are less able to get about the pitch get alot of flak.

However, I must admit that I find the abuse that referees (Match referees and Assistant Referees) get at SWPL level to be atrocious. Players surrounding us after a decision has been made, managers strolling onto the pitch voicing their opinions at half time and at the end of the game together with the constant barrage of abuse during the game, coupled with the dressing down and slagging off that they then get on social media after the game, it is no wonder that we are short. There is no real quick fix. People say referees at that level should just send off the assailants - referees are told to "manage" these situations... However, by doing that, it only takes one bad club mark from a club to end a referees prospect of promotion... Should that club-marking system be taken away, I believe you would see a huge increase in referees actually taking action! It's catch 22 for them. This is the exact reason I will not be going for promotion to level 4 - there'd be abandonment's every week due to a lack of players! That said - I must admit I do enjoy running the line on SWPL. I am yet to receive a level of abuse that has made me want to stop lining. I have however seen enough of the match referees being abused (that's exactly what it is) to make me realise that level of refereeing would not suit my nature (low tolerance levels) at all. 

If anyone on the forum wants to have a go at answering the four questions, put them below and I'll add them to the above 

4. Do you think enough is being done to recruit and retain referees by League's, County FA's and the National FA? 

I know as said above the course is probably too long and tedious obviously including travelling to the course depending where you are in the county, I know you get some sort of money back for the course after doing a certain amount of games which is good but some working people with families wont shell out 110 quid off the cuff for a referee course unfortunately which you cant blame anyone for.... 

Not sure if this has been asked or said but if the League/CCFA are that concerned would it not be beneficial to them to put on an emergency course not open to anyone but e.g for 10 people to do an express referee course FREE OF CHARGE and subsidised by the league / CCFA, I understand this will cost the league/CCFA but surely better than games not being played and appreciate they would foot the cost hence why i say only a select number like 10 places even if it was a case of them paying for the course for these select few to get them officiating asap even it is a case of the CCFA Paying for the course and these refs paying half of the course fees abck via their match fees they receive in their first 5 games instead of what currently happens and the CCFA/ league give you money back after a certain amount of games. 

If it is compulsory that a club has to have a qualified referee, what is to stop a club asking an already qualified referee to be their 'club referee'?

Isn't the referee course a 2 day weekend thing?

It's not just the abuse referees receive at a game, it's on here as well. Usually when a team has lost it's the referee's fault because he didn't do this or missed that. The ones who type that should be made to do the course and see just how hard it is. You might see an incident from your angle. It might not be the angle the referee saw it from. Straight away you both saw it but from different view points. Clubs could be more hospitable to these heroes who give up their time to ensure games get played. You might moan and groan because you have "him who gave the dodgy penalty last season" but that was then and this is now.

Welcome him and thank him for turning up. If you have the facilities, offer him a drink. After the game, thank him again. If you didn't agree with a decision, have a chat with him. Or discuss it at the pub.

It's basic things that ensure referees continue to do what they do. 

The idea of colleges introducing the referee's course is an excellent idea. Maybe if the club's contributed to the cost of the course rather than the individuals taking it might be an idea.

Rant over.

Please feel free to swap him for her where it's needed. We do have female referees too and they too are invaluable.

The higher up you go, the abuse is abysmal. Swearing at the officials, surronding them calling them all the names under the son ( some even personal). And using  the word 'cheat' is the lowest of the low in my opinion. Referees should  be made to feel part of the club. A warm welcome, a bit banter free pint after the game. All part of matchday experience.  I also feel the fee is to high for a referee course. How do they expect  to get ' young referees' to afford those sort of fees.

I think the welcome is very important. A lot of clubs won't even acknowledge you when you arrive, and if they do its normally a mumble under their breaths. Almost a 'oh god not her/him again' feeling.  Many times have i turned up for a game and not even known where the changing rooms are just to be pointed to a storage room or a dirty toilet by a player only after I've asked. A handshake and an afternoon ref here's the changing room if you need anything just shout. Takes seconds and means alot, it also helps relax a referee if they are feeling a bit nervous.

4 hours ago, Anita said:

I think the welcome is very important. A lot of clubs won't even acknowledge you when you arrive, and if they do its normally a mumble under their breaths. Almost a 'oh god not her/him again' feeling.  Many times have i turned up for a game and not even known where the changing rooms are just to be pointed to a storage room or a dirty toilet by a player only after I've asked. A handshake and an afternoon ref here's the changing room if you need anything just shout. Takes seconds and means alot, it also helps relax a referee if they are feeling a bit nervous.

We always make refs feel welcome and even offer um cup tea or coffee at half time . We chat with you for ages b4 the game coz we like you ;) well they all chat with kate and just say to me not you again lol :( 

As a pathetic old man rapidly approaching 75 summers , there are many things in modern life that baffle me for example . Where in the statute books is there such a crime as a heist ? , how can Rap be remotely regarded as music , when did " absolutely " mean yes or no ?  , why is everything " amazing " ? when was seeing , saying  or feeling replaced by " like " ( it's grammatic nonsense )  . But the biggest mystery is this illusion that we are short of referees . Watch any game in the country and you will see  22 referees plus 3 other officials . On the sidelines there are numerous other referees . Go to Plymouth Argyles home games and there are several thousand people far better than the 3 officials on the pitch watching the game . Watch any of the multitudes of games on the television and there are at least 4 pundits who are better than the referee .

On serious note  I think one of the major reasons for the shortage of referees is the abuse problem . Who in their right mind wants to spend 90 minutes in order for people to play football only to suffer verbal abuse . Without wanting to be a pessimist I don't see the situation getting better . Since the education system became uninterested to a large degree in imposing discipline 20 or so years ago ., abusive behaviour  and lack of respect has almost become the norm . Lack of parental discipline has assisted the decline ( I'm generalising here , apologies for that ) .Added to all that we have  the wonders of modern life , social media , . A wonderful means of destroying English grammar , insulting people and generally ( in many cases ) broadcasting meaningless nonsense to the world . I accept that it is a useful means of keeping in contact with friends and family but there is a downside to it as well  . Even forums permit people to throw out vile insults to people they don't even know ( this forum isn't one ) .

As regards abuse of  football officials and players , the FA  are the major problem in allowing this . In the professional game the tail is wagging the dog ,. How can the FA not see that allowing  players to argue with and abuse officials , surround them and wave imaginary cards at them is making the situation in all forms of the game worse . I'm sure that until the FA lead the way in clamping down on this behaviour  the problem of referees deserting the game will continue . The respect campaign seemed to me to be a half hearted effort to improve the situation and doesn't seem to have any effect .

One other thing that baffles me .... what is " pub football " . Do theses expert pundits who use the phrase realise that their own little world of professional football is only a fraction of the football played on Saturdays and Sundays  ( and some midweek ) in this country ?. And that the phrase is an insult to the thousands of people who   run these clubs  and give up their time and money in order that other people can play football . ( and insult officials )

Moan ends , I can't even use the bad weather as an excuse to come on the forum and moan , as its a lovely sunny day here in Norfolk  and I woke up this morning which is a great bonus .

2 hours ago, fenman said:

As a pathetic old man rapidly approaching 75 summers , there are many things in modern life that baffle me for example . Where in the statute books is there such a crime as a heist ? , how can Rap be remotely regarded as music , when did " absolutely " mean yes or no ?  , why is everything " amazing " ? when was seeing , saying  or feeling replaced by " like " ( it's grammatic nonsense )  . But the biggest mystery is this illusion that we are short of referees . Watch any game in the country and you will see  22 referees plus 3 other officials . On the sidelines there are numerous other referees . Go to Plymouth Argyles home games and there are several thousand people far better than the 3 officials on the pitch watching the game . Watch any of the multitudes of games on the television and there are at least 4 pundits who are better than the referee .

On serious note  I think one of the major reasons for the shortage of referees is the abuse problem . Who in their right mind wants to spend 90 minutes in order for people to play football only to suffer verbal abuse . Without wanting to be a pessimist I don't see the situation getting better . Since the education system became uninterested to a large degree in imposing discipline 20 or so years ago ., abusive behaviour  and lack of respect has almost become the norm . Lack of parental discipline has assisted the decline ( I'm generalising here , apologies for that ) .Added to all that we have  the wonders of modern life , social media , . A wonderful means of destroying English grammar , insulting people and generally ( in many cases ) broadcasting meaningless nonsense to the world . I accept that it is a useful means of keeping in contact with friends and family but there is a downside to it as well  . Even forums permit people to throw out vile insults to people they don't even know ( this forum isn't one ) .

As regards abuse of  football officials and players , the FA  are the major problem in allowing this . In the professional game the tail is wagging the dog ,. How can the FA not see that allowing  players to argue with and abuse officials , surround them and wave imaginary cards at them is making the situation in all forms of the game worse . I'm sure that until the FA lead the way in clamping down on this behaviour  the problem of referees deserting the game will continue . The respect campaign seemed to me to be a half hearted effort to improve the situation and doesn't seem to have any effect .

One other thing that baffles me .... what is " pub football " . Do theses expert pundits who use the phrase realise that their own little world of professional football is only a fraction of the football played on Saturdays and Sundays  ( and some midweek ) in this country ?. And that the phrase is an insult to the thousands of people who   run these clubs  and give up their time and money in order that other people can play football . ( and insult officials )

Moan ends , I can't even use the bad weather as an excuse to come on the forum and moan , as its a lovely sunny day here in Norfolk  and I woke up this morning which is a great bonus .

I completely agree. You tell them not to swear at you. They do and then they are in shock when u send them off and even bigger shock and more abuse when u tell them they can't stand on the side of the pitch