Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard Athletic- Good Times Coming Back?

As someone who grew up in Liskeard, and remembers the Western League glory days well, it is great to see the club heading back in the right direction with a promising group of local players. The problem on the horizon though would appear to be other clubs picking off the Lux Park starlets as they make names for themselves. James Lorenz turning out for Parkway last night (even if was only as cover with the Blues not having a game), would appear to be a warning of this.

It's great to see the young local guys stepping up to the challenge and my personal opinion hasn't changed about the club.  I think that a club like this with 3 teams should be looking to consolidate for a few seasons so that the fantastic youth set up that is in place can gradually filter into the duchy then east cornwall then onto the peninsula sides. I also think that the gap between west and premier can be devastating for some clubs and if that is the sole target then what happens next???  I stepped out of management because I am not driven by winning things any more (not that I won much anyway) but have always just had a simple ethos of getting players to represent their local clubs.  A great club with a very hard working committee and I am pleased to say that all looks good at the moment.

MQ x

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

As someone who grew up in Liskeard, and remembers the Western League glory days well, it is great to see the club heading back in the right direction with a promising group of local players. The problem on the horizon though would appear to be other clubs picking off the Lux Park starlets as they make names for themselves. James Lorenz turning out for Parkway last night (even if was only as cover with the Blues not having a game), would appear to be a warning of this.

Ambition as a player comes into it as well, a player may not want to wait three seasons to play at a higher level, but to be in the shop window for further advancement as has been demonstrated by many former peninsula league players recently;  Landricombe brothers, Rocky Neale, Dan Sullivan, the list is quite extensive. Many young players have ambition to be a professional player, earn money, a career etc,. Therefore the earlier they try to step up the better it could be. Don't wait till you are on the way down.

2 hours ago, Home Waters said:

Ambition as a player comes into it as well, a player may not want to wait three seasons to play at a higher level, but to be in the shop window for further advancement as has been demonstrated by many former peninsula league players recently;  Landricombe brothers, Rocky Neale, Dan Sullivan, the list is quite extensive. Many young players have ambition to be a professional player, earn money, a career etc,. Therefore the earlier they try to step up the better it could be. Don't wait till you are on the way down.

Talking of Landricombe brothers, I see there's rumours of Torquay sniffing around Levi.... 

Be surprised if James Lorenz makes the switch to Parkway.

Not sure he is good enough yet as the West is not that competitive so hard to judge his scoring record although he does seem technically good.

Would he be guaranteed a starting position with the likes of Yetton, Smith, Carter already there???

With the winter coming up and a few long trips up the M5 during the week for mid-week matches, a starting position needs to be assured rather than a place on the bench.

6 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Be surprised if James Lorenz makes the switch to Parkway.

Not sure he is good enough yet as the West is not that competitive so hard to judge his scoring record although he does seem technically good.

Would he be guaranteed a starting position with the likes of Yetton, Smith, Carter already there???

With the winter coming up and a few long trips up the M5 during the week for mid-week matches, a starting position needs to be assured rather than a place on the bench.

No wonder clubs are struggling to get players if they all have the same attitude as you Teflon 123.

The game is about a 18 man squad in order to be successful, not just about 11 selfish players who only turn up if they are going to start. ?

1 hour ago, kevin richards said:

No wonder clubs are struggling to get players if they all have the same attitude as you Teflon 123.

The game is about a 18 man squad in order to be successful, not just about 11 selfish players who only turn up if they are going to start. ?

Not for me Kevin, I'll never understand an 18 man squad, we played with 12!!

I can see the value in (just) 15 maybe, but 18!!

No wonder there is not enough players to go around anymore. 

It would appear that "way of the Park" may well be right and Liskeard are on the way back, or at the very least heading in the right direction.

Watched them a couple of times this season and the thing that struck me most was their ability and confidence to manage games and not force it once they were in front. As for James Lorenz, well he's been class right up through the age groups and would be a stand out player in most teams. Goal scorer yes, but so much more. His energy and contribution at a young age does him and I presume his former youth coaches credit. If it's what he wants and he stays focused I'm sure he's more than capable of moving up through the divisions.

Liskeard were many pre season posters favourites for the Peninsular West title and it's not hard to see why. As for the step up to Peninsular Premiership if they are successful, I see no reason at all why they could not compete favourably.  Mousehole, also in the Peninsular West, have last season in the senior cup 5-0 and this season in the league cup 0-2 played Peninsular Premiership Newquay off the park and neither games were fluke results. Personally I still feel Mousehole are the best footballing team in the West division, although there will always be those who dislike players being drafted in or flown down.. I don't think Porthleven were anyones favourites to be in top three of the Peninsular West  this season,(now there is a sleeping giant of Cornish football) but their management seem to have put together a squad and found a system that although in the cups stutter from time to time, is working in the league and Penzance also appear to be moving once again in the right direction. Four BIG clubs with history, and I believe all four would be capable of reaching into at least lower mid table in the Peninsular Premiership. Early days for all four, but good to see them all unafraid to play football from the back and through the thirds rather than just humping it up to a target man. Thank you to all their managements for trying to set a standard that's enjoyable to watch and worthy of paying an entrance fee.

1 minute ago, Moonraker1969 said:

It would appear that "way of the Park" may well be right and Liskeard are on the way back, or at the very least heading in the right direction.

Watched them a couple of times this season and the thing that struck me most was their ability and confidence to manage games and not force it once they were in front. As for James Lorenz, well he's been class right up through the age groups and would be a stand out player in most teams. Goal scorer yes, but so much more. His energy and contribution at a young age does him and I presume his former youth coaches credit. If it's what he wants and he stays focused I'm sure he's more than capable of moving up through the divisions.

Liskeard were many pre season posters favourites for the Peninsular West title and it's not hard to see why. As for the step up to Peninsular Premiership if they are successful, I see no reason at all why they could not compete favourably.  Mousehole, also in the Peninsular West, have last season in the senior cup 5-0 and this season in the league cup 0-2 played Peninsular Premiership Newquay off the park and neither games were fluke results. Personally I still feel Mousehole are the best footballing team in the West division, although there will always be those who dislike players being drafted in or flown down.. I don't think Porthleven were anyones favourites to be in top three of the Peninsular West  this season,(now there is a sleeping giant of Cornish football) but their management seem to have put together a squad and found a system that although in the cups stutter from time to time, is working in the league and Penzance also appear to be moving once again in the right direction. Four BIG clubs with history, and I believe all four would be capable of reaching into at least lower mid table in the Peninsular Premiership. Early days for all four, but good to see them all unafraid to play football from the back and through the thirds rather than just humping it up to a target man. Thank you to all their managements for trying to set a standard that's enjoyable to watch and worthy of paying an entrance fee.

Just need the St Blazey revival to begin. When Cornish football reverts back to a county only set up, you very much need the big old clubs like  Penzance, Liskeard, Blazey and Porthleven to be competitive in order to develop local interest and ensure worthwhile matches.

7 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Not for me Kevin, I'll never understand an 18 man squad, we played with 12!!

I can see the value in (just) 15 maybe, but 18!!

No wonder there is not enough players to go around anymore. 

Exactly my point Dave. As a 15/16 yr old, I sat on the bench game in game out in order to get a place in the starting line up, do you think any of these youngsters would do that now. ???

Like Teflon said, they want a guaranteed starting place. !!!

2 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

Exactly my point Dave. As a 15/16 yr old, I sat on the bench game in game out in order to get a place in the starting line up, do you think any of these youngsters would do that now. ???

No... they wouldn't, they've had their heads filled with how good they are by the youth football brigade.

Problem being, they don't want to learn the game in the lower divisions, or wait on the bench either.

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

No... they wouldn't, they've had their heads filled with how good they are by the youth football brigade.

Problem being, they don't want to learn the game in the lower divisions, or wait on the bench either.

Just think of how much a young striker could learn from watching and listening to someone like Stewart Yetton.

Why aren’t young players getting opportunities in south west league? 

1. In managers opinion not good enough 

2. Managers not willing to give them opportunities? 

3. There not good enough 

all 3 a concern for local football !

how can they develop if there not given opportunities ! 

Difficult as local football and young adults lack of interest and enthusiasm ! Why 

whats the answer ? as a county how can we create more interest ? 

And how can we produce more players to play professionally from within Cornwall 

On 04/10/2018 at 15:56, kevin richards said:

From a Managers point of view it is a about your squad, but you try telling that to lads that have worked all day, then travel 2 hours up the M5 to be sat on the bench all night and not get on and then travel home.