Cornwall Football Forum

3G Falmouth School pitch officially opened

Dave Deacon

And very impressive it is too.

I hope they maintain it properly, unlike the one at the Penryn facility!

Also that it does not just become a cash cow for the school. 

Might be a problem for those hoping to play league matches under lights, I seem to remember a stipulation of planning permission, was lights out by 9.00 pm.

I look forward to my first visit there.

I'm interested to know if it is a sand, or rubber finish to the playing surface?

From my observations driving past,  I  only saw sand being applied.

I know that in Europe they are now removing most of the rubber 4G pitches due to safety concerns.

26 minutes ago, Keith B said:

You're right older - the rubber crumb or dust that comes off the 4G pitches has caused great concern in the USA. It has been suspected and indeed now feared, that the dust/crumb is the cause of cancer. Goal keepers especially have been found to be suffering lung problems across the USA. Many States have banned the use of 4G because of this. Source of this info was the Daily Telegraph sports pages.

I believe Holland has removed all of theirs as well!

• 1 month later...

Latest research conducted by EU has found the cancer risk from rubber crumb is almost negligible. The Netherlands used rubber crumb which included tyres from vehicles used in a petrochemical environment, which resulted in a higher risk; this is not the case in the UK, where the rubber crumb used already complies with the new, recommended levels of contaminants. Google for more info.

52 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Latest research conducted by EU has found the cancer risk from rubber crumb is almost negligible. The Netherlands used rubber crumb which included tyres from vehicles used in a petrochemical environment, which resulted in a higher risk; this is not the case in the UK, where the rubber crumb used already complies with the new, recommended levels of contaminants. Google for more info.

Nice one John....thanks for the update. 

On 29/09/2018 at 09:44, Dave Deacon said:

Are the public allowed on it, after all it is tax payers money be it thru direct or indirect taxation ?

On 29/09/2018 at 09:44, Dave Deacon said:

44 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Are the public allowed on it, after all it is tax payers money be it thru direct or indirect taxation ?

Mostly funded by the FA's Football Foundation, with the school also contributing. It will be available for hire through the school, who are encouraged by the FA to establish relationships with "Partner Clubs".

18 hours ago, panda said:

why is it ludicrous? Two teams of 15 players each works out at about 2.50 per player.for one and a half hours of football.Quite reasonable I think

Panda £ 50 for 1 hour so 75 quid for  a game ?   If it is a league fixture the home side will pay plus match fees ,  so a  lot of money for a game  , if training not many club's have  30 turning up in a session so to be fair Big Al  has a valid point , and is right  to point it out .

12 hours ago, Fanfare said:

That's a bit harsh. I like to listen to Big Al's opinion even if I don't agree with it.

I agree Fanfare  , there are a few on here I don't agree with probably the same with me ,  but as long as it does get personal  everyone  is welcome  to comment  , a d there are some very knowledgeable posters on here .

Just to expand on the topic of fees for a 3G. It is not a no maintenance facility. We have had ours for 12 months now and costs have just about sorted themselves. 3G needs a mechanical brush for every 10 hours use, at this time of year it needs leaf removal at least twice a week. Petrol costs are about £5-£6 per week . Time is about 6 - 10 hours per week depending on usage. Then twice a month testing the surface can take up to 4 hours That for Hayle is all free through voluntary labour. Then the biggy with good maintenance the carpet can last up to 20 years, but the average seems to be between 12 and 15 years . At today's prices a replacement would cost anything up to £150,000. so over a 15 year period a 3G provider would have to save about £10,000 a year over and above the maintenance costs.That is a tall order. Then there is a cost every 3 years of getting the pitch certified for competition use, another £1800. On top of this depending on the usage and maintenance of the facility the pitch has to be deep cleaned at regular intervals (2/3 years) about £2500 a time . So taking all this into account without voluntary labour the cost can be quite considerable,hence the price of hire. Unfortuneatley nothing comes cheap any more. Having spent my formative years playing on Tottenham and Hackney marshes (aptly named) we would have given our eye teeth for something like this. I am not a fan of artificial pitches , but having had one for 12 months, over last winter, I can see the advantages.LONG LIVE GRASS

Well said Ieuan, peeps all think when you have these 3g things that it is easy street ...far from it.

If they are not maintained to specification they become rubbish, we have one locally, hardly maintained, and is absolutely a joke now.

When you arrive at the facility you are greeted with a big black square, with the odd green bit.

Being used solely as a cash cow, you cannot even use the grass pitches, only the black square

...no maintenance they believe.

38 minutes ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

Just to expand on the topic of fees for a 3G. It is not a no maintenance facility. We have had ours for 12 months now and costs have just about sorted themselves. 3G needs a mechanical brush for every 10 hours use, at this time of year it needs leaf removal at least twice a week. Petrol costs are about £5-£6 per week . Time is about 6 - 10 hours per week depending on usage. Then twice a month testing the surface can take up to 4 hours That for Hayle is all free through voluntary labour. Then the biggy with good maintenance the carpet can last up to 20 years, but the average seems to be between 12 and 15 years . At today's prices a replacement would cost anything up to £150,000. so over a 15 year period a 3G provider would have to save about £10,000 a year over and above the maintenance costs.That is a tall order. Then there is a cost every 3 years of getting the pitch certified for competition use, another £1800. On top of this depending on the usage and maintenance of the facility the pitch has to be deep cleaned at regular intervals (2/3 years) about £2500 a time . So taking all this into account without voluntary labour the cost can be quite considerable,hence the price of hire. Unfortuneatley nothing comes cheap any more. Having spent my formative years playing on Tottenham and Hackney marshes (aptly named) we would have given our eye teeth for something like this. I am not a fan of artificial pitches , but having had one for 12 months, over last winter, I can see the advantages.LONG LIVE GRASS

Interesting!

Would constant heavy rain, like experienced last season, mean even more maintenance and what would that actual maintenance look like?

Yes Dave 3G does flood however if the underground drainage has been put in OK, then like any normal grass pitch it will drain well. After a heavy and constant downpour it takes ours about 20-30 minutes to return to good playing condition,but as said rubber will float to the surface and needs brushing back in ASAP, preferably in dry conditions. Also 3G tends to flood when compaction of the infill occurs through heavy use and poor maintenance. We have a unit with spring tines that can be used carefully to decompact the infill. So yes it can mean an extra brush and also postponing use, if prevailing conditions warrant it. So far so good, we managed well through last winter.

1 hour ago, panda said:

I think I agree with you Big Al the fee is ludicrous. After reading the breakdown of the maintenance it should be £100 per game!!!!!

Then no one would use it but it would save the people in the houses opposite being flooded with halogen lights all evening!

On 07/11/2018 at 17:51, panda said:

I think I agree with you Big Al the fee is ludicrous. After reading the breakdown of the maintenance it should be £100 per game!!!!!

I think you’ll find it already is. A football match is played for ninety minutes, there is inevitably time added in each half for stoppages plus of course half-time for another 15 minutes. That adds up to two hours (i.e. £100 at £50 per hour). It would be worth avoiding for cup games with the risk of extra time and penalties!

I presume that you have to state and pay for the length of proposed usage when booking whether or not you actually need it. If so, that’s £150+ for any cup game whatever the 90 minute score. Unless the owners are far more reasonable than I would be!