Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin dismantled by Tavistock

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£26000 wouldn’t pay for a season?? The Western League is centered around Bristol not Tibet. Buy a second hand mini bus and put £40 in it every couple of weeks for fuel.  Yes I know there is a bit more to it than that (referee expenses etc) but seriously Bristol isn’t that far away. It’s still in the southwest. Bodmin spent their prize money on players and not advancing their club. This never pays off in the long term 

1 hour ago, hedgerow said:

At least I am not in my own own ?  

Dam predictive text does my head in in 

So....I'm in the chemist one day to pick up a script.

What's your name sir....I forgot my name - true I'm afraid!

22 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

£26000 wouldn’t pay for a season?? The Western League is centered around Bristol  Bodmin spent their prize money on players and not advancing their club. 

That's what I was on about.

9 hours ago, PistolPete said:

Went to this game as a neutral and first time I have seen Bodmin play.

Tavy were excellent. Well organised, used the pitch well and broke at pace. Some lovely goals and movement. Was impressed with their number 11. And Prynn at number 9 is a natural finisher. Can’t see anyone catching Tavy.

Bodmin were poor except for the last 20 minutes when, to their credit, they tried to play. Was expecting them to be much better. Their chunky number 9 needs to wind his neck in and Gilbert, is that his name?, is a disgrace. The ref had a tough afternoon but should have sent both off for dissent. Also Gilbert offering to smack one of the gobby Tavy supporters behind the goal wasn’t great behaviour.

Special mention to Bodmin keeper Cory Harvey. His sidewinders were outstanding for this level of football, just a shame chunky number 9 couldn’t control any of them.

All in all an entertaining afternoon.

I overheard Gilbert threatening to go over and smack one of the Tavistock supporters too.  I was quite prepared to video the incident if it did occur, so pleased it didn't.

20 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Let’s take it a bit careful everyone. It’s all very well having a go face to face out on the pitch but I’m not happy also having it on here.

As far as you know Gilby has never come on here and been disrespectful to anyone.

Can I suggest that sort of thing be done when you meet each other and don’t use the forum!

So it is ok for Gilbert to be disrespectful to other supporters and match officials Dave. You cannot deny his behaviour at the majority of matches is embarrassing, although i do not expect you to agree with me on this public forum.

I do not think the supporters of other clubs are jealous of Bodmin Town as a club, but just the attitude of some of their supporters and their manager.

42 minutes ago, ontheball2014 said:

I overheard Gilbert threatening to go over and smack one of the Tavistock supporters too.  I was quite prepared to video the incident if it did occur, so pleased it didn't.

So it is ok for Gilbert to be disrespectful to other supporters and match officials Dave. You cannot deny his behaviour at the majority of matches is embarrassing, although i do not expect you to agree with me on this public forum.

I do not think the supporters of other clubs are jealous of Bodmin Town as a club, but just the attitude of some of their supporters and their manager.

I witnessed this also. Was Gilbert threatening the bloke on crutches? 

Does anyone know what the so called fan said to Darren? People are judging on here but it's all one sided. Personally I have refereed Darren on many occasions,and never had the need to brandish a card of any colour. Also I  have had quite strong conversations with him when Camelford and Bodmin play both said things we shouldn't  but that happens all the time in the heat of the moment and always has. What makes the difference is that after the game regardless of the result and Camels have beaten Bodmin a few times he has always been a gentleman and totally honest. He may say inappropriate things sometimes in the dugout but so does a lot of managers,doesn't make them or me bad people, just a little over zealous maybe.

52 minutes ago, hoppit said:

Dave's gonna get splinters if he keeps sitting on the fence

I’m not sitting on any fence! I know that Darren says some stupid things on the touchline, but so do many other club officials and supporters and no one comments on them!

For example last Wednesday a St Austell supporter at Falmouth shouting across the stand a not very flattering, almost threatening, expletive. A number of people sitting in the stand couldn’t believe why the guy had shouted it out - however I’ve not seen anything about it on here!

15 minutes ago, hoppit said:

Does anyone know what the so called fan said to Darren? People are judging on here but it's all one sided. Personally I have refereed Darren on many occasions,and never had the need to brandish a card of any colour. Also I  have had quite strong conversations with him when Camelford and Bodmin play both said things we shouldn't  but that happens all the time in the heat of the moment and always has. What makes the difference is that after the game regardless of the result and Camels have beaten Bodmin a few times he has always been a gentleman and totally honest. He may say inappropriate things sometimes in the dugout but so does a lot of managers,doesn't make them or me bad people, just a little over zealous maybe.

You have never brandished a card at him because you r afraid of him, I have played under him and against him on many occasions, he really could and possibly should be sent off in almost every game he manages in but most of the refs just look at him as he constantly berates them. I appreciate refereeing is a tough job but he knows like lots of others that nothing will be done so they just carry on doing it

I’ve personally been threatened by Darren Gilbert whilst watching a game. Lots of managers push the boundaries but he is at  another level. I’ve heard that he is a nice bloke off the pitch, but that doesn’t excuse his behaviour on it. You wouldn’t want to take a young child to watch a game whilst he is in the dugout. A few years ago, he turned around to those of us in the main Parkway stand and asked us where we were in the league, aggressively and arrogantly bragging at his club’s superiority, whilst challenging people to a fight. So whilst I generally like to see local teams do well, I for one am going to enjoy results like these.

6 minutes ago, herbie777 said:

You have never brandished a card at him because you r afraid of him, I have played under him and against him on many occasions, he really could and possibly should be sent off in almost every game he manages in but most of the refs just look at him as he constantly berates them. I appreciate refereeing is a tough job but he knows like lots of others that nothing will be done so they just carry on doing it

Sorry HOPPIT, but you are exactly what is wrong with the modern game. Yes, it is true that Gilbert is not the only culprit, but please man up and deal with the bully boys, be it players or managers.

Sir, I am six foot tall and built like a brick outhouse. I was brought up in an environment were you needed to look after yourself and in my younger days had no problem doing that,I'm pushing sixty now and not quite as confident as I once was,but will still stand my ground if pushed. For you to say I was afraid is a personal insult. The only people I was afraid of is my mum and dad and that was out of respect. Oh and there was a teacher called Sniffer Hawke who would whack you around the head if you were cheeky but then again I was only thirteen.

10 minutes ago, ontheball2014 said:

Sorry HOPPIT, but you are exactly what is wrong with the modern game. Yes, it is true that Gilbert is not the only culprit, but please man up and deal with the bully boys, be it players or managers.

You stand up to the so called  bully boys l have no problem doing that, but I can't make em better maybe you can. Christ I'm now being blamed for the state of the game when I've devoted my life to it as man and boy.

7 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

It appears the anti Bodmin feeling is purely their dominance  of the SWPL over the past 10 seasons I have seen this at Falmouth when they decided to withdraw from the Western League 1983 the SWL clubs rejected their application to their league and the club had to take over its CCL team in the Combo league

During the 10 years of SWPL football Bodmin ammassed £26,000+ SWPL prize money plus their F A competition winnings but last season they received nothing (one of only 7 clubs in the entire league).

The other top SWPL earners over the years were Plymouth Parkway £13,000+ and Buckland Athletic almost £11,000 in only 4 seasons and both these clubs have progressed up the Pyramid so this also goes against Bodmin's popularity.

Hooray!!!!

jealousy,hatred only comes when your successful.........lap it up I say!!!

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I’m not sitting on any fence! I know that Darren says some stupid things on the touchline, but so do many other club officials and supporters and no one comments on them!

For example last Wednesday a St Austell supporter at Falmouth shouting across the stand a not very flattering, almost threatening, expletive. A number of people sitting in the stand couldn’t believe why the guy had shouted it out - however I’ve not seen anything about it on here!

Our comment on the St Austell fans expletive, is that it's the officials of the club who have the authority to remove the perpetrator from the ground if he was causing offence to other supporters,       It would be interesting to know if it's a regular offence by the person concerned that is tolerated by his club, as seems to be the case with Darren Gilbert and Bodmin.                

8 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

It appears the anti Bodmin feeling is purely their dominance  of the SWPL over the past 10 seasons I have seen this at Falmouth when they decided to withdraw from the Western League 1983 the SWL clubs rejected their application to their league and the club had to take over its CCL team in the Combo league

Disagree Mike, I’m afraid. The anti Bodmin responses have much to do with; not only the behaviour of the team, but also, particularly in the case of the manager, the continuous, high volume foul and abusive language which has become a staple for the club! A serious problem for the Committee, Referees and CCFA (a triple whammy of apathy)!

However I do agree with the comparison with Falmouth in one area; throughout the late 80’s, early 90’s they were often referred to by host clubs as “Foul mouth” as I recall (dimly!).

8 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

£26000 wouldn’t pay for a season?? The Western League is centered around Bristol not Tibet. Buy a second hand mini bus and put £40 in it every couple of weeks for fuel.  Yes I know there is a bit more to it than that (referee expenses etc) but seriously Bristol isn’t that far away. It’s still in the southwest. Bodmin spent their prize money on players and not advancing their club. This never pays off in the long term 

St.Austell, Tavistock, St.Blazey ( 15 years ago? ) 

Success brings Envy, jelousy. 

A lot of teams if not all will be beat at Tavistock this season. I for one be disappointed when the Devon sides move out of the league & make it regionalised, be like the West/East Division then, god forbidden! There are sides in those leagues who can't even get a team out some weeks (or even 3 times before end of September)  .... Come on!! 

If we win our games in hand we Jump above St.Austell, & Falmouth, I don't see their supporters panicking yet ... 

Or Newquay supporters panicking that they are a big club in Cornwall & can't win a league game to save their lives, nearly bottom & got dumped out the cup yesterday by a team halfway up in the league below them??

Or St.Blazey supporters panicking they are possibly at their lowest point in the clubs history, losing away at Dobwalls in a competitive fixture ( Imagen Trevor hearing that! ) With a young boy as manager, just to keep the team together as they are frightened the players will all walk away ..... 

Come on, with games in hand Bodmin be fine, & as for Gilby .... He invites anybody to pop in for 'chat' on matchday & will talk to anybody about his 7 league championship's, 7 Senior Cup Victories, County Caps, Western league appearances etc etc ... ?

I had it from the horses mouth years ago, over 50K per season to put out the all conquering St Blazey team !!!!

With the best season returning 35K!!!!!

So you can all brag away with all of your sevens and caps......I think you're all nuts!!!!!

IF - like some - they move on up - fair enough.

Stay where you are and spend that money.....Pfftttt

8 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

If we win our games in hand we Jump above St.Austell, & Falmouth, I don't see their supporters panicking yet ... 

full credit on Bodmins Success  my old son but please don't mention supporters and Bodmin in the same sentence unless you are confessing to a lack of them!!

3 minutes ago, Smiler said:

full credit on Bodmins Success  my old son but please don't mention supporters and Bodmin in the same sentence unless you are confessing to a lack of them!!

Supporters don't put trophies in the cabinet old son ... Also our's are fairly well behaved. Some players of other teams have even assaulted other supporters ... I saw it & pictures in the paper once. Awful it was. But we don't get anything like that at Bodmin  ?

9 hours ago, leedsunited said:

A lot of teams if not all will be beat at Tavistock this season. I for one be disappointed when the Devon sides move out of the league & make it regionalised, be like the West/East Division then, god forbidden! There are sides in those leagues who can't even get a team out some weeks (or even 3 times before end of September)  .... Come on!! 

Or Newquay supporters panicking that they are a big club in Cornwall & can't win a league game to save their lives, nearly bottom & got dumped out the cup yesterday by a team halfway up in the league below them??

Or St.Blazey supporters panicking they are possibly at their lowest point in the clubs history, losing away at Dobwalls in a competitive fixture ( Imagen Trevor hearing that! ) With a young boy as manager, just to keep the team together as they are frightened the players will all walk away ..... 

Come on, with games in hand Bodmin be fine, & as for Gilby .... He invites anybody to pop in for 'chat' on matchday & will talk to anybody about his 7 league championship's, 7 Senior Cup Victories, County Caps, Western league appearances etc etc ... ?

Lad can't go more than a day or two without mentioning Newquay... reckon the Mints must have s**t in his shoes at some point.

8 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Disagree Mike, I’m afraid. The anti Bodmin responses have much to do with; not only the behaviour of the team, but also, particularly in the case of the manager, the continuous, high volume foul and abusive language which has become a staple for the club! A serious problem for the Committee, Referees and CCFA (a triple whammy of apathy)!

The bad behaviour of Managers, Coaches, Subs in the dugouts really does need sorting out. The culprits have zero respect for the game and those watching. They need to grow up!

8 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Some players of other teams have even assaulted other supporters ... I saw it & pictures in the paper once. Awful it was. But we don't get anything like that at Bodmin  ?

We must admit that we have never had any problem with Bodmins supporters, they are both well behaved.

People must realise that if Bodmin hadn’t won all those trophies in recent years this topic wouldn’t exist now !!!

And the Bodmin manager can’t be the only one who swears at people etc....it’s impossible 

I took my boy to watch an evening game recently and left after 20 minutes because the language from both sides and managers was not great.

Swearing is rife from the premier league all the way down to the lowest tier and the only ones that can eradicate it are the FA!!

Just send them off for bad language....it would take a  while but players would soon get the message when they start missing 8 games a season !!!

1 hour ago, Gremlin14 said:

I support Newquay and I personally find it amusing that Leeds Utd always brings up Newquay. I can however confirm that no one from the club has ever in his shoes. Bodmin deserve him and he deserves Bodmin (match.com)

Trouble is Bodmin are embarrassed by Leeds and even put a statement on this forum ?

Leeds and Bodmin go together like Cannon & Ball. They are a blast from the past that everyone raved about until folk realised there was nought but the same old patter, and it was probably best left to some grim rundown working men's club.

Harmless enough, maybe even alright at times, but very cringeworthy when he mentions "Newquay" again....  

35 minutes ago, SCFC said:

As much as i enjoy a good chuckle reading all these comments, is everyone going to be harping on like this if Sticker or Callington or whoever get beaten 11-0 by Tavi?

When a top team, like Bodmin, get hammered by another top team, not just by the odd goal either, questions will be asked. 

I am sure Bodmin will bounce back, will they win the league, not sure, will they finish top 4, they sure will. 

It will be an interesting season with Falmouth, Tavistock, St Austell will also be fighting for the top spot

To be honest, the reason for Bodmin's success in recent history has been because they have had the best players, due to the fact that they have had money to fork out on these players! If any of the other clubs such as Sticker, Callington, Camelford, Ivybridge etc had a lot of money to spend on players in the last 10-15 years, then it wouldn't take long for the so called 'top players' to sign for these clubs. Then no doubt they would have had more success.

It's also documented on here that the likes of St Austell etc also pay out large sums of money to players, but perhaps the reason that they don't get the stick that Bodmin do is because they don't have a keyboard warrior like Leeds on here (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't follow the forum too much). Although to be fair, it's probably also because they rarely (if at all) get drummed 7-1 by a title rival!

Having said that, I do find Leeds quite amusing, lightens things up a bit and it should only ever be taken as banter, because that's exactly what it is!

28 minutes ago, hedgerow said:

When a top team, like Bodmin, get hammered by another top team, not just by the odd goal either, questions will be asked. 

I am sure Bodmin will bounce back, will they win the league, not sure, will they finish top 4, they sure will. 

It will be an interesting season with Falmouth, Tavistock, St Austell will also be fighting for the top spot

not sure if they will finish top 4 to be honest... Argyle, Saltash, Tavi, St Austell, Falmouth & Bodmin all going for those spots, not sure how anyone can predict the top 4!

1 hour ago, baldy said:

Well Easyyyy, as a bit of Forum history, a then St Austell committee member had multiple accounts and stirred the for a long time. And guess where he went next, as chairman.

More than happy to stand corrected if my statement was wrong. As stated above, I'm not on the forum as regular as most. I'm sure the St Austell chappy got his comeuppance as well then!

Still stand by what I said though. Other than a select few, players follow the money, and who can blame them? There is a lot of money being handed out which could make a serious difference to their personal/ family life. It's the clubs that are daft to be paying it and staying in the same league every year!

18 minutes ago, Easyyyy said:

More than happy to stand corrected if my statement was wrong. As stated above, I'm not on the forum as regular as most. I'm sure the St Austell chappy got his comeuppance as well then!

Still stand by what I said though. Other than a select few, players follow the money, and who can blame them? There is a lot of money being handed out which could make a serious difference to their personal/ family life. It's the clubs that are daft to be paying it and staying in the same league every year!

Think he was already Bodmin chairman when he got caught out ?

Spending big bucks to just stay afloat in the same league rather than showing ambition to move on up the leagues? Just sounds stupid to me. Every team that wins the league should have to take promotion, no matter what. Imagine if it happened with the winner of the Championship going 'nah, I'm not gonna go into the Premier League because we're gonna have to travel more and lose more games'. Its pathetic. No ambition at all

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

not sure if they will finish top 4 to be honest... Argyle, Saltash, Tavi, St Austell, Falmouth & Bodmin all going for those spots, not sure how anyone can predict the top 4!

Forgot about Saltash and Argyle. I agree it will be hard to predict top 4 finish. Which will be good for the league 

On 22/09/2018 at 16:53, sportsman10 said:

Would say that was some statement from tavi. And a team that didn’t even include glyn hobbs. Interesting see what Bodmin think of that performance? 

Tavistock have just awarded SWPL  team of the week in a football fans poll-my vote went to Elmore (1E) beating Exmouth (Prem) in the W C Parson Cup.

21 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

i wonder how much dislike Bodmin seem to get from people is more to do with the way the manager carries himself when he played against   or  more recently managed  against other teams !  ! 

not sure people care that much about how much they have won .

has he only just started "carrying himself" like this? because most managers are the way they are, they dont tend to change in character. Just unsure as to why people are only picking up on his antics now?