Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin v Camelford

12 minutes ago, ontheball2014 said:

Will Camelford finish this job tonight and dump Bodmin  out of the FA Vase?

Surely Reg Hambly can motivate his team to beat a team that is clearly, not what they were.

cant see it myself unfortunately. Say what you like about Bodmin but normally in these types of games, regardless of the squad quality, they'll find a way to win. Top clubs do that

Bodmin 4 v 0 Camelford

As a reflection of the two games and this game, the score is very flattering to Bodmin, but all at Camelford wish Bodmin well in the next round and will hopefully do Cornwall proud.

Firstly, this game should not have been needed, Camelford should have finished the tie in the first game when 3-2 up, 4 minutes of injury time to go and a great one v one with keeper - unfortunately missed and with last kick of game following some daft defending and 3v3.

Camelford had asked (prior to the game) for the game to be finalised on the day (penalties if required), with  Reg and six of their starting team away for the replay, but Bodmin, as is their right, declined and insisted on a replay - which took us to a very wet Wednesday evening in Bodmin. Camels with no manager and six of the weekend starters away and Bodmin with a perceived stronger team with the inclusion of Oxley and Danny O on the bench.

Bodmin started very well, but were poor in the final third - Oxley in particular wasting good chances and several players just taking ridiculous shots, many going out for throw ins! Camels plan was clear, to play on the break, which they did well - well structured in defence and cutting Bodmins back four apart when played anywhere other than near Brokenshire (who was solid).

Mid way through first half came the only real bit of controversy. Bodmin had possession on ther right from a ricochet, their player attempted to chip the keeper towards a packed penalty area and the ball was cleared, about a meter in front of the line. The Ref gave it as a goal in that the ball had crossed the line and pointed to the centre circle to everyone's bemusement. The assistant Ref was waving his flag frantically - the Ref spoke to him (I assuming pointing out his error) and the Ref then changed his decision and awarded a penalty for the keeper fouling a Bodmin player and gave the keeper a yellow card?... Up steps Mr Bowker to take the penalty - (bit of a risk because he injured himself taking a penalty in the first leg) - his standing foot slips and kicks the ball just before his shooting foot hits the ball (touching twice) - sending the keeper and him the wrong way -  every player saw it but the Ref never saw it as 'my job is to watch the keeper not the ball' . Slight shame as the Ref was a young lad who I thought had a great game and that 2 minute brain freeze did not affect the game.

Camelford had several great chances before half time to level the game but with missing their three recognised strikers shots were dragged and the Bodmin keeper made a couple of fantastic saves. Mr Gilbert's half time 'chat' could be heard from Morrisions.

Second half again saw Bodmin start brightly and the Camels play themselves back into the game - the next goal was obviously decisive and that fell to a solo goal from the lad McGee - who in my option was Bodmins best player on the night - great dribble and finish. After that the Camels rearranged and went all out for attack and got caught on the counter (in fairness Danny O missed a couple over the crossbar from inside the 6yd box as well).

There has been a lot on the forum about the decline of Bodmin, which imo is slightly unjustified. Bodmin have 2/3rds of a team of real, real quality. They have plenty to beat most teams and both get points and go further in the Vase.

They lack a recognised 'in form' striker - Bowker (who is well rated by Gilby and Steve Massey who know far more than me) is good at holding the ball up but is over weight, can't jump for headers and does nothing for his team mates other than moan. Danny O has quality in abundance (as a player and individual, he was the only Bodmin player not berating every decision in the first leg - he spoke calmly and quietly to the Ref), unfortunately too many teams have real pace and that is the one side of his game decreasing, Oxley was just poor - however I believe he is better than he showed last night. Bodmin also had no quality on the bench (other than obviously Jake Ash who appears to be carrying a long term issue?).

The one thing Bodim are missing though is the 'aura' of invincibility - Camelford went into the first leg expecting to win, a couple of years ago it would have been about holding them. Teams do not fear Bodmin any more and that was always worth an extra player for them.

45 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Bodmin 4 v 0 Camelford

As a reflection of the two games and this game, the score is very flattering to Bodmin, but all at Camelford wish Bodmin well in the next round and will hopefully do Cornwall proud.

Firstly, this game should not have been needed, Camelford should have finished the tie in the first game when 3-2 up, 4 minutes of injury time to go and a great one v one with keeper - unfortunately missed and with last kick of game following some daft defending and 3v3.

Camelford had asked (prior to the game) for the game to be finalised on the day (penalties if required), with  Reg and six of their starting team away for the replay, but Bodmin, as is their right, declined and insisted on a replay - which took us to a very wet Wednesday evening in Bodmin. Camels with no manager and six of the weekend starters away and Bodmin with a perceived stronger team with the inclusion of Oxley and Danny O on the bench.

Bodmin started very well, but were poor in the final third - Oxley in particular wasting good chances and several players just taking ridiculous shots, many going out for throw ins! Camels plan was clear, to play on the break, which they did well - well structured in defence and cutting Bodmins back four apart when played anywhere other than near Brokenshire (who was solid).

Mid way through first half came the only real bit of controversy. Bodmin had possession on ther right from a ricochet, their player attempted to chip the keeper towards a packed penalty area and the ball was cleared, about a meter in front of the line. The Ref gave it as a goal in that the ball had crossed the line and pointed to the centre circle to everyone's bemusement. The assistant Ref was waving his flag frantically - the Ref spoke to him (I assuming pointing out his error) and the Ref then changed his decision and awarded a penalty for the keeper fouling a Bodmin player and gave the keeper a yellow card?... Up steps Mr Bowker to take the penalty - (bit of a risk because he injured himself taking a penalty in the first leg) - his standing foot slips and kicks the ball just before his shooting foot hits the ball (touching twice) - sending the keeper and him the wrong way -  every player saw it but the Ref never saw it as 'my job is to watch the keeper not the ball' . Slight shame as the Ref was a young lad who I thought had a great game and that 2 minute brain freeze did not affect the game.

Camelford had several great chances before half time to level the game but with missing their three recognised strikers shots were dragged and the Bodmin keeper made a couple of fantastic saves. Mr Gilbert's half time 'chat' could be heard from Morrisions.

Second half again saw Bodmin start brightly and the Camels play themselves back into the game - the next goal was obviously decisive and that fell to a solo goal from the lad McGee - who in my option was Bodmins best player on the night - great dribble and finish. After that the Camels rearranged and went all out for attack and got caught on the counter (in fairness Danny O missed a couple over the crossbar from inside the 6yd box as well).

There has been a lot on the forum about the decline of Bodmin, which imo is slightly unjustified. Bodmin have 2/3rds of a team of real, real quality. They have plenty to beat most teams and both get points and go further in the Vase.

They lack a recognised 'in form' striker - Bowker (who is well rated by Gilby and Steve Massey who know far more than me) is good at holding the ball up but is over weight, can't jump for headers and does nothing for his team mates other than moan. Danny O has quality in abundance (as a player and individual, he was the only Bodmin player not berating every decision in the first leg - he spoke calmly and quietly to the Ref), unfortunately too many teams have real pace and that is the one side of his game decreasing, Oxley was just poor - however I believe he is better than he showed last night. Bodmin also had no quality on the bench (other than obviously Jake Ash who appears to be carrying a long term issue?).

The one thing Bodim are missing though is the 'aura' of invincibility - Camelford went into the first leg expecting to win, a couple of years ago it would have been about holding them. Teams do not fear Bodmin any more and that was always worth an extra player for them.

Agree to disagree with some points of your assessment, but some you have spot on. Bodmin 4-0 Camelford

39 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Bodmin 4 v 0 Camelford

I’ve resisted and resisted coming on this forum but are you serious let’s set some facts straight first game we missed not 1 but 3 one on ones before your equaliser not only that we had goal that everyone in the ground bar the linesman saw had crossed the line which would’ve made it 3-1 and tie Over!!! As for the replay last yes it was not pretty yes we didn’t play well (myself being one of the main culprits) but we won 4-0 and in truth we missed countless more opportunities to the 1-2 your team had in first half as for us lacking an in form striker I’d say 10 in 10 games isn’t a terrible return?!?! Maybe I’m wrong though?? As for the fear factor gone we hope you all keep slating us we hope you keep thinking we’re rubbish and that we have no chance of winning anything it’s much appreciated just for the record we’ve lost 2 games out of first 12 one in the league 1 in the fa cup and we’re still unbeaten at home. 

Cheers all 

overweight striker