Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Back in The Vase v Clevedon Town

After a two season absence Falmouth return to the F A Vase and have an attractive home encounter with Clevedon Town from the Western League Premier (Step5).

It will be  the first visit to Bickland Park for almost 36 years for "The Seasiders"  when the two clubs met continuously in the Western League 1974-83. Falmouth had slightly the upper hand winning 11 of the 18 League games  played . The only other meeting was at Southern Road in a F A Vase 4th.Rd tie with Falmouth progressing 1-0 with a goal from Gary Wignall.

Taken from programme notes

Just got home from a friends retirement party-

22 minutes ago, Kernowman said:

A great result! Let's hope for a good run in this great trophy! Remember Bedlington Terriers Mike? What year was it? Year 2001 I believe, Round 4, with a score of 1-4

That was up your part of the country  Paul-I have just got back in from a friends retiring party and seen this result-first club goal for Dave Blizzard

2 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Just got home from a friends retirement party-

That was up your part of the country  Paul-I have just got back in from a friends retiring party and seen this result-first club goal for Dave Blizzard

If I remember correctly, there was a premonition that Town would win 1-0.  A penalty was scored and this held good until the 89th minute of regular time or so, until they equalised, and then the flood-gates opened. Remember the state of the pitch? Like a ploughed field I remember! 

Let's hope for many more goals from Dave Blizzard!

Great win Town! 

12 hours ago, Kernowman said:

If I remember correctly, there was a premonition that Town would win 1-0.  A penalty was scored and this held good until the 89th minute of regular time or so, until they equalised, and then the flood-gates opened. Remember the state of the pitch? Like a ploughed field I remember! 

Great Win for Town esp against a western league side. 

Be nice to have a few away games to teams not played before. Always remember games like Banstead, Milton United, etc 

Falmouth Town's 490-mile trek north to their FA Vase fourth-round tie at Bedlington Terriers. It is said to be the furthest any British club have travelled to play a senior football match.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2996766/FA-Vase-Falmouth-on-road-to-success.html

Thanks Mark ,first I have seen that Daily Telegraph story

I believe the late Al Hodge had a lot to do with the transport arranging the "Elkie Brooks"  personal travelling double decker and probably the Newcastle accomodation-Didn't Luke Hodge score the goal which Falmouth were hanging on to until the final minutes before running out of steam in extra time down to 10 men (Ian Stephens).-a big difference was the Falmouth captain Andy Street suspended for the tie

Btw on the FA site attendance at Bickland yesterday was 166

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

I believe the late Al Hodge had a lot to do with the transport arranging the "Elkie Brooks"  personal travelling double decker and probably the Newcastle accomodation-Didn't Luke Hodge score the goal which Falmouth were hanging on to until the final minutes before running out of steam in extra time down to 10 men (Ian Stephens).-a big difference was the Falmouth captain Andy Street suspended for the tie

I think you are right with the facts Mike. 

Ian Stephens sent off!! Lol I heard a story once that on one of the away cup games, Adrian street and Ian Stephens spent most of the trip sat at the back of the coach talking about all their sending offs in their career! 

6 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Quite a few previous truro city supporters as well mike .

On 14/09/2018 at 11:34, Mike Odgers said:

After a two season absence Falmouth return to the F A Vase and have an attractive home encounter with Clevedon Town from the Western League Premier (Step5).

It will be  the first visit to Bickland Park for almost 36 years for "The Seasiders"  when the two clubs met continuously in the Western League 1974-83. Falmouth had slightly the upper hand winning 11 of the 18 League games  played . The only other meeting was at Southern Road in a F A Vase 4th.Rd tie with Falmouth progressing 1-0 with a goal from Gary Wignall.

Exmouth play at Southern Road. Cleavedon Town played at Teignmouth Road before moving to the Hand Stadium.

On 15/09/2018 at 21:47, Kernowman said:

Luke Hodge scored a penalty in the 72nd minute which was cancelled out by a former Hartlepool player equalising in the 86th minute. Went down 4-1 after extra time and Ian Stephens was sent off. Sid Taylor had a great game in the Falmouth goal.

On 14/09/2018 at 11:34, Mike Odgers said:

Exmouth play at Southern Road. Cleavedon Town played at Teignmouth Road before moving to the Hand Stadium.

Spot on Fanfare-that game was played at Teignmouth Road.

I Wonder if I get any earache on my next Bickland visit? there is always a small band who look for mistakes in the programme especially the date or kick off time

I see the Saturday team sheet was altered from Damien Duff to Martyn Duff just in time-the reporter thought we had signed the Republic of Ireland International.lol

Last game played at Teignmouth Road was 20th.April 1992 before the ground was sold

Damian Duff has been mentioned in the Clevedon Town FC  report and also a Joseph Cooper