Cornwall Football Forum

Who would be a manager

With the rumours going around about joffys position.who in their right mind would want the job.finding anybody to volunteer in football is getting harder but being a manager must be the hardest job of the lot.when the game finishes on a Saturday they then start thinking about the next game and who is going to turn up.gone are the days when the same squad that turned up today will play the next game.then you have the players who leave to play with their friends.not to mention being dragged off on here for what ever reason

Been there done that wouldn't want another go now , ok if you are a top side  and can attract players but it is harder if you are a struggling team , play with my mates?  Why  if you are a good player test yourself at the highest level you possible can ,  you can always hang out with mates the rest of the week ,  players do follow managers , that is a fact of football,  it's hard attracting  players the so called better ones that a club would like to improve a team want paying ,  that is probably  the first part of a conversation , and I have spoken to several managers ex managers and money does raise its head . Managing a team is 24 hours 365 days a week , no rest  either massaging some players egos  or putting an arm around someone and trying to help support them off field . . The list is endless . It is a thankless task like all jobs running a football club . You have to have a very understanding partner to be involved in football .

If you want to be a manager you need to know loads of good players or be mates with. It’s no longer about being a big club, if that were the case sides like Falmouth, Newquay, Porthleven, Penzance would be regularly at the top. There are several clubs out there that rely on one person to do all of it, take them away and they lose a load of players! 

The amount of phone calls that a manager had to make and even then there’s no guarantee of them turning up. Football has changed massively in the last 15-20 years. 

A crazy job for anyone to undertake for no gain apart from a loss of hassle. 

being a new manager with a struggling side i would agree with all of this. especially the partner part lol

but im just crazy enough to love these problems as i hope to turn them into a strength and make a struggling side a good side and will do my upmost to make this happen.

as when something has been achieved i know i have worked damn hard for it

10 hours ago, Leehh said:

being a new manager with a struggling side i would agree with all of this. especially the partner part lol

but im just crazy enough to love these problems as i hope to turn them into a strength and make a struggling side a good side and will do my upmost to make this happen.

What team do you manage?

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:43, Postman Pat said:

With the rumours going around about joffys position.who in their right mind would want the job.finding anybody to volunteer in football is getting harder but being a manager must be the hardest job of the lot.when the game finishes on a Saturday they then start thinking about the next game and who is going to turn up.gone are the days when the same squad that turned up today will play the next game.then you have the players who leave to play with their friends.not to mention being dragged off on here for what ever reason

'Rumours' being the key word in this comment. Why would anyone in their right mind start up a discussion regarding who would take over Joffys position as manager when nothing has been confirmed? Im sure there would be a few people to jump at the chance if the offer did come up, but until then I think the main news of the week would be Redruth's first win? ?

Cornishfan95 . Was not inferring anything about joffys position I was talking about being a manager in general. With my son being our manager I know what work it entails and if I’m honest I think he’s mad but that said being with a club that is going through a transitional period I think he is working miracles,especially as for the second season he has had to rebuild a squad.Anyone who has seen us play this season apart from Pendeen would say that we are going in the right direction,and with a settled side we will start picking up points.

On 13/09/2018 at 14:02, bigbadbarry said:

What team do you manage?

He manages Stithians Reserves. Very committed and will do a great job for them. 

On 13/09/2018 at 03:43, Leehh said:

Very true words, knowing you well...... i know you will achieve that. You have the right mind for a manager and you'll get there bud.  

I took on my first managing role with Torpoint 3rds when I was 21, I must admit I was a little naive to the full requirements my first few months in the job. So many think it's just a case of a couple training sessions and picking the team for a match day. It's definitely much more than that, it's not a negative thing though. I found that once I had my feet under the table the reward was far greater that what I initially thought. Agreeing sponsorship, sorting grounds/somewhere to train, players (keeping them happy/motivated) was extremely difficult at times. My recommendation would be to find a Club with an existing support network, what I had at Torpoint with Ian Stephens, Ricky Cardew was individuals that not only knew the basics of the game but understood local football and the unique requirements around it. Without their help I don't think I would've been able to do it for as long as I did.

Every single manager throughout the leagues deserve praise for the jobs they do and are sometimes under appreciated by some of the players. How some start their own Clubs from the ground is incredible in my books!!

Swilly, give it a shot mate. You may find you love it more than just the banter, beers etc.