Cornwall Football Forum

THE WHIRLWIND SPORTS TRELAWNY LEAGUE - Saturday Sept 8 2018

Division 1

Hayle Reserves 1-2 Mawnan Reserves 

A very tight  game which  was still 0-0 at half time.   Hayle took the lead early.in the second half, but Mawnan didn't panic and continued to press.  2 goals in the last 20 minutes gave Mawnan the lead and they held despite lots of late pressure from Hayle.

Cheers for the food after also.

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

If you're using Full Time for stats, not all clubs record those details on there as it's not mandatory.

Fair play!in the games we’ve played(6) there’s been one booking for an opposing player and a manager from an opposing team asked to leave the field. Not seen any refs abused.I think most refs have seemed to enjoyed the games had a good chat with John Reid yesterday.Maybe it’s not just players and managers who need to support the officials!

There's a good support network for referees in Cornwall - one of those are regular Referee Association meetings - however they don't have many attend; at our meetings we average 13.

We can't always blame players and managers - sometimes the referees must also take into consideration the way they act as I've seen a few this season already who have bought alot on themselves by their attitudes and persona. Whilst the majority of the time it is the teams at fault, it's not all the time.

One of the biggest problems we have between player and referee is the lack of knowledge for the laws. I'd lost count of the amount of times last season I'd make a decision that I'd get correct in law, yet because this players weren't aware of it, they'd give me a hard time. Three times I pulled the lawbook out last season to show that I was correct - I got apologies after the game but the damage had already been done during the game.

The other issue we face, particularly in the Trelawny League is that it Is the league where the referees begin their careers. They have to start somewhere to learn their trade; so they will make regular mistakes, they will make some odd decisions and some won't manage games brilliantly but that is because they are only just getting the game time and experience.

One thing that certainly doesn't help recruitment and retention is the battering they get on social media - it been particularly rife this season. Not so much in this part of the forum, but certainly in the Combo and SWPL sub forums.

2 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

There's a good support network for referees in Cornwall - one of those are regular Referee Association meetings - however they don't have many attend; at our meetings we average 13.

We can't always blame players and managers - sometimes the referees must also take into consideration the way they act as I've seen a few this season already who have bought alot on themselves by their attitudes and persona. Whilst the majority of the time it is the teams at fault, it's not all the time.

One of the biggest problems we have between player and referee is the lack of knowledge for the laws. I'd lost count of the amount of times last season I'd make a decision that I'd get correct in law, yet because this players weren't aware of it, they'd give me a hard time. Three times I pulled the lawbook out last season to show that I was correct - I got apologies after the game but the damage had already been done during the game.

The other issue we face, particularly in the Trelawny League is that it Is the league where the referees begin their careers. They have to start somewhere to learn their trade; so they will make regular mistakes, they will make some odd decisions and some won't manage games brilliantly but that is because they are only just getting the game time and experience.

One thing that certainly doesn't help recruitment and retention is the battering they get on social media - it been particularly rife this season. Not so much in this part of the forum, but certainly in the Combo and SWPL sub forums.

I was referring more to the fact that a 16year old could end up reffing a men’s football game turning up possibly on his on having to go into the bar on his own waiting to collect his £24 quid where he knows nobody  maybe a member of local fa could go and show some support 

23 hours ago, Robbo said:

Thought a draw would of been a fair result we couldn’t get going first half and perrenwell will always look strong with matt rose up top. Just glad we nicked it in the end after being so unlucky against Penzance in the week where we should of took all 3 points, there keeper had a blinder and there linesman got man of match. Never mind onwards and upwards hopefully get on a bit of a run now and keep ourselves in the mix of the top 4. Thanks to perrenwell for coming back to the pub great sport as always, and good look for the rest of the season ?

I think 2-2 was fair in the end. Your keeper cost you the 3 points in my opinion

Gwin 6-1 St Day
Decent result for us which could have seen us score more on another day. 
First half was quite cagey but without that many chances created from either side. But just before half time Billy Foster nipped in to get his goal with a great finish. We played the half well, defended from the front and played some neat football. 
H-T 1-0
Second half we came out of the blocks well and played some quality football and it clicked like last week. Was enjoyable to watch. Derek Pickin who was sometimes unplayable during the game got his first goal of the game with a neat finish. St Day then got back into the game with a mix up in the defense and keeper and their striker won the header before the keeper could get there. Pickin then got his second of the game with another clinical finish. Then the goal of the game came through Sam Charlton who started the move, linked up with Pickin, Jordan Brown very well to then find himself going through on goal to blast it in the top corner. Quality goal. Pickin then notched his hat trick before Jack Whitcombe got himself on the score sheet near the end. 
Second half performance was brilliant and was over the moon. West Cornwall are next for us. 
MOM - Derek Pickin, unplayable sometimes and had an absolute blinder. That’s 6 goals in 2 games for him and catching up with Foster. 
**** of the day - skipper Gavin Russell. Think he had his boots on the wrong feet when shooting ????

On 08/09/2018 at 19:09, Robbo said:

Thought a draw would of been a fair result we couldn’t get going first half and perrenwell will always look strong with matt rose up top. Just glad we nicked it in the end after being so unlucky against Penzance in the week where we should of took all 3 points, there keeper had a blinder and there linesman got man of match. Never mind onwards and upwards hopefully get on a bit of a run now and keep ourselves in the mix of the top 4. Thanks to perrenwell for coming back to the pub great sport as always, and good look for the rest of the season ?

The linesman got man of the match? Let me correct u there on a few points. First of all, one thing Darren (the linesman) isn’t, is a cheat. In fact, so much so, that occasionally he has given decisions the oppositions way, to help Penzance learn and teach a lesson for the better phrase. Secondly, Praze were the team that chose to bring players in for that game from several leagues higher, apart from number 8 up front who was a tidy player and respectful, the rest of the lads from higher divs thought they were better than they were and would walk it in div 3. Not so, perhaps those lads are playing higher than their skills portray and I’ve never come across a bunch of moaning ass Minnie’s in my life. Every tackle, go down holding face, every offside, which might I add, Penzance play an awesome offside line and u were caught offside every time that went against u. Perhaps Praze are finding it difficult not walking the league this year now their best players have gone to rosudgeon 

On 09/09/2018 at 10:41, chesterfield said:

To be fair looking at the stats for Tralawny 4 one booking and 1 sending off  in all the games shows that maybe it’s not all that bad.

CCFA might have different figures, as posting red & yellow cards on Full-time is not obligatory. Still, it looks like Div 4 is doing well!