Cornwall Football Forum

Sponsership

On 02/09/2018 at 19:33, bighairydave said:

Is it the referees own business? 

Probably not. A conflict of interest should certainly be the leagues business, and for one to be fair and transparent in all our footballing activities is surely in everyone’s interest. 

On the other hand, I haven’t a clue who or what you’re talking about (nothing new there then!).

I can see how it may appear, shows the ref has an interest in the club and it COULD be perceived that he is being biased towards them. However, if Mr Edge was really really biased in several games, it would be too obvious for the league not to do anything. Also, i cant imagine Milbrook will have Mr Edge as a ref enough for it to have such an impact on their season

It’s not illegal, just not very smart, anything which could be interpreted as a conflict of interest by a relatively senior referee, by local standards, is only going to cause confusion at best. No matter how many times he officiates at Millbrook, how about the teams close above or below? Should they lose it will surely invite calls of “Of course we lost, the ref’s a Millbrook man, doesn’t want us to catch them up/get away from them!”

In my humble opinion, it’s probably something better avoided.

24 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

It’s not illegal, just not very smart, anything which could be interpreted as a conflict of interest by a relatively senior referee, by local standards, is only going to cause confusion at best. No matter how many times he officiates at Millbrook, how about the teams close above or below? Should they lose it will surely invite calls of “Of course we lost, the ref’s a Millbrook man, doesn’t want us to catch them up/get away from them!”

i agree entirely, its not illegal, just doesnt look very good. It shouldnt actually effect the outcome of any games he ref's but any dubious decisions that are favourable to Milbrook arent going to go down well

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Agree with that. 

I agree with Dave Deacon. Everyone moans about referees and when they try and give something back to the game of local football they still get moaned at!!!! 

I believe the referee in question is out injuired at the moment so he just wants to help and give something back to the game. Its not like hes betting on the game or trying to cheat or being un fair or refereeing the game.

So millbrook got money worries and other clubs help them out with fun raising so its no different by sponsoring a game. You dont gain from it.

On 02/09/2018 at 19:18, karaoke said:

So how can a referee sponsor a team in a league he referees in ? 

In my eyes no difference than a referee who is an assistant manager refereeing in the league his team are in or refereeing a top match in a senior league where the championship is at stake and he has played for both sides. Maybe historical instances but it has happened.

12 minutes ago, Old 1950 said:

In my eyes no difference than a referee who is an assistant manager refereeing in the league his team are in or refereeing a top match in a senior league where the championship is at stake and he has played for both sides. Maybe historical instances but it has happened.

There are enough refs to avoid this situation.

12 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

There are enough refs to avoid this situation.

are there though? Pretty sure its a common theme that there is not enough refs! for example.. last weekend, due to the Vase games etc, multiple games in the Combination/Trelawney divison were cancelled due to lack of refs

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

are there though? Pretty sure its a common theme that there is not enough refs! for example.. last weekend, due to the Vase games etc, multiple games in the Combination/Trelawney divison were cancelled due to lack of refs

Quite right scfc.I believe there was a shortfall of 14 referees on Saturday.

People moan about referees all the time so putting money back into the local game is a good thing if he referees in that league or not.

What about allen johns who started this post the referee he sponsors the east cornwall league and he referees in the same league. He is putting money back into the local game but no body moans about that.

So lets give them credit.

Also all referees decisions are going to be questioned. There wouldnt be anything to talk about else.

So instead of putting people down give them credit where is due.

Any of these officials could easily have offered a few quid to their chosen club secretary  and nobody would have known, or much cared, but to do it by way of sponsorship and showing off their largesse to the world (or at least the tiny little world of Cornish football) is just not smart. Whatever your opinion of these sponsoring officials, it still looks and feels like a conflict of interest and their decisions when refereeing their benefactor clubs and those clubs around them in the league will always feel tainted to a greater or lesser extent!

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Any of these officials could easily have offered a few quid to their chosen club secretary  and nobody would have known, or much cared, but to do it by way of sponsorship and showing off their largesse to the world (or at least the tiny little world of Cornish football) is just not smart. Whatever your opinion of these sponsoring officials, it still looks and feels like a conflict of interest and their decisions when refereeing their benefactor clubs and those clubs around them in the league will always feel tainted to a greater or lesser extent!

tHEY MUST BE GETING SOMETHING OUT OF IT !

It’s a shame that a generous and supportive donation has caused a level of controversy but I am not surprised by some people’s view which is fair enough. 

Shaun (and some other referees) waived their fee when reffing us a couple of seasons ago during the troubles the club were having in support, and Shaun has continued to sponsor a game since then by waiving his fee for a game he refs once a season (we allocate a different game). It’s a shame this that we had to take it down and his donation can’t be recognised, especially in times where a lot of clubs need all the financial help they can get. 

Thank you to Shaun, and all our match sponsors - including Robbie from Torpoint AFC for their support. If anyone else would like to sponsor a game please get in touch - we gaurantee it isn’t wasted on a player budget as we don’t have one ??