Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combination League Results - Saturday 1st September 2018

Results 
Saturday 1st September
Carharrack (Tom Jones 2) 2-2 RNAS Culdrose (Dylan Doyle, Joe Paterson)
Att - 23
Hayle (Liam Mooney) 1-2 Perranporth (Jacob Springall, Steve Brewer) 
Att - 37
Illogan RBL (Anton Oliver 2) 2-3 Mullion (Lee Cattran 2, Tom Bryant)
Att - 45 
Pendeen Rovers (Jack Ralph) 1-0 Lizard Argyle 
Att - 27
Perranwell (Matthew Lane, Lachlan Brace) 2-1 St Ives Town (Ross Duncan)
Att - 34 
Porthleven Reserves (Jack Price 2) 2-5 St Agnes (Terry Campbell 3, Curtis Pay, Charlie Kemp) 
Att - 30
Redruth United 0-6 St Day (Dan Richards 4, Louis Matthews, Adam Stephens)
Att - 35
St Just p-p Helston Athletic Reserves 
Wendron United Reserves (Jack Noy, William Paul) 2-2 Falmouth Town Reserves (Ben Kellow, Adam Williams) 
Att - 30
West Cornwall p-p Penryn Athletic

POS

TEAM

PL W D L F A GD PTS
1 ST DAY 7 5 2 0 22 9 13 17
2 PERRANPORTH 6 5 1 0 15 5 10 16
3 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES 5 4 1 0 19 6 13 13
4 HELSTON ATHLETIC RESERVES 5 4 0 1 24 6 18 12
5 ST IVES TOWN 6 3 2 1 9 3 6 11
6 LIZARD ARGYLE 6 3 1 2 19 7 12 10
7 ILLOGAN RBL 7 3 1 3 20 11 9 10
8 ST JUST 6 3 1 2 19 13 6 10
9 HAYLE 4 3 0 1 17 4 13 9
10 PENDEEN ROVERS 6 3 0 3 18 7 11 9
11 MULLION 6 3 0 3 7 10 -3 9
12 ST AGNES 7 2 2 3 17 19 -2 8
13 PENRYN ATHLETIC 4 2 1 1 10 2 8 7
14 PERRANWELL 5 2 0 3 6 7 -1 6
15 WENDRON UNITED RESERVES 7 1 2 4 12 21 -9 5
16 PORTHLEVEN RESERVES 7 1 0 6 15 36 -21 3
17 WEST CORNWALL 6 1 0 5 6 32 -26 3
18 RNAS CULDROSE 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
19 CARHARRACK 5 0 1 4 7 31 -24 1
20 REDRUTH UNITED 6 0 0 6 4 37 -33 0

Hayle1 - 2 Perranporth  same score half time ,  Hayle were 2 down a defensive mistake and a goalkeeping error , tight first half Liam Mooney pulled one back , att37  , second half two  good saves by Danny Ford  kept Hayle in the game  but perran experience showed and they saw the match out , good competitive   game but today Hayle did look a bit sluggish at times and didn't  move the ball quick enough not much for the ref Tim Reeks to do  Perranporth probable deserved the three point , don't think Patch will be happy with one or two of his players .

Carharrack 2, Culdrose 2

Yippee! Carharrack's 1st point of the season, well deserved. 1 - 0 up at half time (Tom James, 16th minute), but then 1 - 1 (49) and 1 - 2 (63) and I thought, oh, no, here we go again; but a minute later it was 2 - 2, so not only their 1st point but coming from behind, too. Culdrose had a man sent off but Carharrack couldn't make the extra man count and in the last minute their young 'keeper, having pulled off two or three vital saves in the 1st half, made yet another fine save on the line, so the point really down to him in the end. Up one place in the league!

Some nice bits of play, still a bit raw round the edges but signs that the coaching is taking effect.

Alan Hoon the man in the middle. Talks to the players, tells them what he thinks.

Tea still 50p: bargain! Mind, the League has put the entry prices up from £2 to £3 - a 50% increase! I blame Brexit!

Hi Gents,

would just like to send a message to all my regular contacts on a Saturday teatime, my phone decided to pack it in at precisely 5pm as I was sending a few reminder messages for today’s games. Myself and my far more intelligent wife have just spent the last hour of our lives googling and searching for a way to get it working again to no avail!! Think it’s a case of admitting defeat and a visit to 3 tomorrow for a new phone and hopefully I can save all my contacts??!! Apologies to anyone who sent through a message or report for tomorrow’s Sunday Indy paper. It’s the first time it’s happened and hopefully the last! Normal service will hopefully be resumed next Saturday!!? Once again, sincere apologies to my regular contributors, speak, text or email next week with a bit of luck.

Cheers gents,

Rappo x

19 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

Carharrack 2, Culdrose 2

Tea still 50p: bargain! Mind, the League has put the entry prices up from £2 to £3 - a 50% increase! I blame Brexit!

That is the MAXIMUM amount a club can charge customers, it is NOT a fixed price before anyone moans. It is up to each club what they charge up to that £3.

It was decided to raise it because it has been £2 for a fair while, whilst costs have been going up and to compensate for the slight decrease in paying spectators or the last two seasons. 

3 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

Carharrack 2, Culdrose 2

Yippee! Carharrack's 1st point of the season, well deserved. 1 - 0 up at half time (Tom James, 16th minute), but then 1 - 1 (49) and 1 - 2 (63) and I thought, oh, no, here we go again; but a minute later it was 2 - 2, so not only their 1st point but coming from behind, too. Culdrose had a man sent off but Carharrack couldn't make the extra man count and in the last minute their young 'keeper, having pulled off two or three vital saves in the 1st half, made yet another fine save on the line, so the point really down to him in the end. Up one place in the league!

Some nice bits of play, still a bit raw round the edges but signs that the coaching is taking effect.

Alan Hoon the man in the middle. Talks to the players, tells them what he thinks.

The league has not put the price up they only said the most you can charge is £3 but that’s up to the clubs .So Mullion charged me £2.50 the other week . Clubs have to fork out over £30 for a ref and kit wash etc etc and the likes of Perranwell can get 30 people watching and get £20 in there collection box which as it’s a playing field some people are so tight as I’m told as I watched the game there today , thought the home keeper was class but both sides missed penalties ( albeit the St Ives one was brilliantly saved and the Perranwell one completely missed the target )

3 hours ago, Spectator92 said:

The referees must love having lizard games.....2 sent off in one week 

May get an Ann’s pasty if I venture down there .

17 hours ago, patch said:

Was number 17 the left back by any chance?

No the 17 (there skip)was not playing LB, was playing CM and got straight red for a high footed challenge (on our RB’s hip).

we managed to put the ball away late in the game after some great work from Henry Couzens who laid it on a plate for Jack Ralph to smash the back of the net !!

Good Luck to Lizard for the rest of the season and c u on the return.

Well reffed from the man in the middle. 

18 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

Carharrack 2, Culdrose 2

Fair review Tom. I thought carharrack played some nice football but still a little rough around the edges  it's a team that haven't geled yet and some who are still getting to know each other. But recent additions in middle of the park have made the team stronger and added some experience. Much improved performance. 

Pendeen 1-0 Lizard Argyle

We turned up to this game expecting a feisty encounter after hearsay of Pendeen’s disciplinary record in their last few games. Safe to say it wasn’t as fiesty as expected and was a good game to play in.

Pendeen were quick to start with a ball over the top, for the Lizard keeper to save 1 on 1 and out for a corner. An early observation of how Pendeen were going to play their football. Lizard played in to Pendeen’s hands by trying too many long balls over the top, which their back 4 dealt with nearly every time, and not playing the football they are used to. Pendeen had the better chances of the half, but the Lizard defence stood firm and the keeper making some good saves. Around 30 minutes, a debate as to whether a Pendeen should have had a man sent off after a yellow for persistent fouling I think, then talking his way in to another booking, but before so, subbed himself off and didn’t return to the field of play, quoting ‘I don’t want to be having to pay £85 in 2 games.’ Annoying for us, sensible for him seeing as we had the same scenario earlier in the week, so no complaints to be had really. Pendeen kept the pressure on the Lizard defence as Lizard never really got going, finding they had to soak up a lot of pressure and try use the little chances they had. Then before half time, a red card for the hotly talked about number 17. Nothing malicious, kept his eyes on the ball as it was coming down with his leg up waiting for it to land on his toe. The Pendeen player beat him to it and as his leg came down it caught his thigh. Took the card and straight off, no arguing. I thought it was a red, some thought a yellow. A Pendeen player saying ‘I only expected a yellow for that.’ So make your own mind up on it.

Lizard knew they had to up their game, especially with 10 men, and they tried. The extra Pendeen man in midfield proved to be a big difference, playing very good balls over the top and through our defence, but the Lizard keeper stayed alert throughout the game and swept well. Pendeen had a free kick over the top, landing on the striker’s head and nearly beating the keeper but for a good diving save to his right. Then another freekick that didn’t want to stop moving as the keeper hit it from inside the Pendeen half and nearly scoring from it but went just wide. Lizard were trying to play better than they did the first half, and football was starting to happen, but it seemed with everything thrown at Pendeen, they dealt with most of it. One of those days. But Lizard were resilient and never stopped trying. At times you could argue it didn’t look or feel like they were down to 10 men. Further on in the half and Pendeen were pressing, a ball through to their winger, expecting to score but for an excellent one on one save, parrying a stinging shot around the far post. Pendeen probably felt like they would never score but they kept at it, when a bit of fortune fell their way through a defensive error. Caught in two minds, the Lizard centre back, who has been solid so far this season, and at 19 will only get better as the season goes on, finally made a decision but ended up digging his toes in the turf and giving the ball away to the striker, who played it across the goal to Jack Ralph who probably had his heart in his mouth as the ball hit his heel and back across the keeper who was trying to cover the line, just going through the Lizard keepers hands as he tried to pull off the save, but it floated in to the top corner, I’d say, much to Pendeen’s relief. 1-0. Not much happened after that. Lizard went to 3 at the back to try gain a point they felt the deserved, but nothing happened and Pendeen took all 3 points in this very good game. Lizard gutted they couldn’t take at least a point after defending so well and keeping at it all game, believing they earned at least that.

One thing to talk about, I think, is how easy referees give out cards. I know they’re told to use their cards to gain the respect and keep in control of the game, and it is a very difficult job to be able to have 22 players, coaches, subs, fans etc shouting at you, and let it go over your head, I’ve been one myself, but a lot of people don’t get paid to play at this level of football and to be fined for little things can stop people wanting to play because they can’t afford it financially! But obviously if a card is needed then fair play, give it. 

Well done to Pendeen and good luck, thought they were a good bunch of lads with a good team down there, see you at the Lizard!

Pendeen MOTM: Number 8, CM. Had good battles with our midfielders and controlled the game for Pendeen, playing some very nice balls through our defence and rarely losing the ball.

Lizard MOTM: Ben Bradley, GK. Made some crucial saves and swept well throughout the game.

BBrad1, I have to disagree we are not instructed to use our cards to gain respect etc, I enjoy nothing better than a good contested game and have not had to take any disciplinary action but sometimes players will not let you keep the cards in your pocket and you take the necessary action, a good example so far I have used very few cards yesterday it was 5 yellows and a misconduct report, It was something  I had unfortunately forced upon me by the players.

1 hour ago, B Manning said:

BBrad1, I have to disagree we are not instructed to use our cards to gain respect etc, I enjoy nothing better than a good contested game and have not had to take any disciplinary action but sometimes players will not let you keep the cards in your pocket and you take the necessary action, a good example so far I have used very few cards yesterday it was 5 yellows and a misconduct report, It was something  I had unfortunately forced upon me by the players.

But you are not all refs!!! The inconsistency is what does everyone’s head in. Some allow swearing, some don’t, some allow a first bad tackle in the first 5 mins, some don’t!

the laws are the laws but the referees apply them differently!!

7 minutes ago, St Darren said:

But you are not all refs!!! The inconsistency is what does everyone’s head in. Some allow swearing, some don’t, some allow a first bad tackle in the first 5 mins, some don’t!

the laws are the laws but the referees apply them differently!!

You will never get away from that though. Everyone has there own different tolerance levels.

The key thing to remember is that you should t expect that level of consistency over the course of the season because each referee and each game is different. However, you can and should expect your referees to be consistent over the duration of you match.

21 minutes ago, St Darren said:

But laws are laws aren’t they? “Foul and abusive language” some refs give some don’t but surely that’s not a disputable law

The laws don’t make things easy, nor do the players but nor do the referees 

It's all down to interpretation. That's the inconsistency of refereeing that you refer to.

For example, I have a very low tolerance level when it comes to dissent. Some refs have a much higher tolerance level, particularly when they go higher. It's human nature that we have different ways of seeing and dealing with things.

It's sounds like a cliché but if you have limited experience in officiating a football match, you're unlikely to fully understand what I'm on about

I don’t need to be belittled however you meant it

but in my book, foul and abusive language is foul and abusive language. One week you’re sent off, next you’re not. How can players get used to that??

by the way, this needs to be addressed st the very top and it will filter through. 

The standard of refereeing as a whole at Peenier League level is awful 

It’s how it can be taken over typed messages, but no bother you didn’t mean it. 

But do you understand where I’m coming from though. 

I wonder where the FA would stand if a player got sent off for swearing went to a tribunal and said “I said the same last week and nothing happened” 

18 minutes ago, St Darren said:

It’s how it can be taken over typed messages, but no bother you didn’t mean it. 

But do you understand where I’m coming from though. 

I wonder where the FA would stand if a player got sent off for swearing went to a tribunal and said “I said the same last week and nothing happened” 

The referee’s decision on the day is final so they can only judge on the offence reported.

Foul or abusive language can be very difficult for refs to deal with but simple for players - DON'T SAY IT!

I do think that yellow cards are now given too liberally for minor offences. Handball and shirt pulling anywhere on the pitch spring to mind. No comparison to some of the challenges which receive the same punishment!

6 hours ago, John Mead said:

Foul or abusive language can be very difficult for refs to deal with but simple for players - DON'T SAY IT!

I do think that yellow cards are now given too liberally for minor offences. Handball and shirt pulling anywhere on the pitch spring to mind. No comparison to some of the challenges which receive the same punishment!

I watched a game last midweek, a player was booked for a shirt pull where both players were tussling and it was hard to know who had fouled who first, and I was standing right next to the incident. It was a second yellow for that player so he had to go, next minute a player goes straight through the back off his opposite number and could of done serious damage to his opponent, he got a stiff talking to and no card! Baffles me sometimes how the refs decide whether to card someone or not.

15 hours ago, Ron Manager said:

I watched a game last midweek, a player was booked for a shirt pull where both players were tussling and it was hard to know who had fouled who first, and I was standing right next to the incident. It was a second yellow for that player so he had to go, next minute a player goes straight through the back off his opposite number and could of done serious damage to his opponent, he got a stiff talking to and no card! Baffles me sometimes how the refs decide whether to card someone or not.

Some referees use common sense on where and when to use cards , there are some very good refs in the combo that probably dish out the least amount of cards as they talk to the players during the game where others use the cards to do the talking ..