Cornwall Football Forum

Question for a red?

Completely made up scenario but just thinking about it. 

If the play is up at one end of the field and then in the other half a striker or defender is running around and the opponent fouls them by pulling his shirt or tripping him up. The referee is unlikely to see it but say the linesman flags for it even though the ball is 40 yards away, would it still be a free kick given and who would have the balls to give it?

as I said, completely made up scenario but I bet a foul has happened in the past but never given. 

5 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Completely made up scenario but just thinking about it. 

If the play is up at one end of the field and then in the other half a striker or defender is running around and the opponent fouls them by pulling his shirt or tripping him up. The referee is unlikely to see it but say the linesman flags for it even though the ball is 40 yards away, would it still be a free kick given and who would have the balls to give it?

as I said, completely made up scenario but I bet a foul has happened in the past but never given. 

If it’s the defender who fouls the attacker (defender’s team has ball) then a penalty should be awarded. If attacker fouls then advantage should be played and then when ball goes out of play attacker can be dealt with.

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

If it’s the defender who fouls the attacker (defender’s team has ball) then a penalty should be awarded. If attacker fouls then advantage should be played and then when ball goes out of play attacker can be dealt with.

So if a player is goalhanging so to speak up one end and the team have a corner up the end. The keeper just trips up the attwcker in the opposite box and the ref sees it, would he divert up to the other end to give a penalty?

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

So if a player is goalhanging so to speak up one end and the team have a corner up the end. The keeper just trips up the attwcker in the opposite box and the ref sees it, would he divert up to the other end to give a penalty?

If the ball is in play then yes. But if the corner has not been taken then the referee can caution/send off but restart will still be corner.

• If the ball is in play and a player commits an offence inside the field of play against:
    • an opponent – indirect or direct free kick or penalty kick
    • a team-mate, substitute, substituted or sent off player, team official or a match official – a direct free kick or penalty kick
    • any other person – a dropped ball

• If, when the ball is in play:
    • a player commits an offence against a match official or an opposing player, substitute, substituted or sent off player, or team official outside the field of play or
    • a substitute, substituted or sent off player, or team official commits an offence against, or interferes with, an opposing player or match official outside the field of play,

play is restarted with a free kick on the boundary line nearest to where the offence/interference occurred; a penalty kick is awarded if this is a direct free kick offence within the offender’s penalty area.

So red for violent conduct and penalty :)

31 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Okay... What if a defending teams linesman (substitute) runs onto the pitch and hits an attacker (stood inside the opposite teams penalty area) with the flag whilst the ball is in play at the other end of the pitch. Referee sees this...

I'm rather bored here (and I like HairyDave's replies) :)

36 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Okay... What if a defending teams linesman (substitute) runs onto the pitch and hits an attacker (stood inside the opposite teams penalty area) with the flag whilst the ball is in play at the other end of the pitch. Referee sees this...

I'm rather bored here (and I like HairyDave's replies) :)

Simply let the two of them punch it out, and have a beer after surely.