Cornwall Football Forum

referees decisions called into question on social media

After seeing the saltash v st austell penalty decision video splashed all over the internet it got me thinking how much harder it is now for a ref in local football to make a decision in a game without  him being called into question by every fan with a smart phone  who does not agree with him .

before a ref made an error and it would be argued about till everyone got in the club house then forgotten about , now its online for weeks on end ,with the  referees name  out there  , calling him this that and the other and that has to be wrong . 

i know players have guidelines to stick by with regards to comments on refs etc  but how come the clubs own social media do not clamp down on it  .

i know its a difficult one to police  but i can only see this driving more refs away from the game really . 

5 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

After seeing the saltash v st austell penalty decision video splashed all over the internet it got me thinking how much harder it is now for a ref in local football to make a decision in a game without  him being called into question by every fan with a smart phone  who does not agree with him .

before a ref made an error and it would be argued about till everyone got in the club house then forgotten about , now its online for weeks on end ,with the  referees name  out there  , calling him this that and the other and that has to be wrong . 

i know players have guidelines to stick by with regards to comments on refs etc  but how come the clubs own social media do not clamp down on it  .

i know its a difficult one to police  but i can only see this driving more refs away from the game really . 

how often do you actually see videos of controversial decisions on social media at local level? just pot luck the fan got the horrendous decision on camera. I for one havent seen the  ref's name mentioned or anyone saying anything other than "thats not a penalty" "the player dived" etc. Im sure if the ref was to see the footage, he'd agree he got it wrong and move on. Theres always someone trying to make a meal out of nothing?

The game is all about "human error" - by players and officials; it's what makes it entertaining, enjoyable and unpredictable.

At the highest levels, refs are subjected to untold scrutiny by TV experts - who cannot always agree whether the decision is right or wrong. If everyone would just accept the principle that the referee is always right and get on with the game (& life), it would be great for the game.

My belief is that video replays should be limited to just showing the highlights (goals, near misses etc.) rather than people in front of a tv screen trying to point out mistakes by match officials.

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

The game is all about "human error" - by players and officials; it's what makes it entertaining, enjoyable and unpredictable.

At the highest levels, refs are subjected to untold scrutiny by TV experts - who cannot always agree whether the decision is right or wrong. If everyone would just accept the principle that the referee is always right and get on with the game (& life), it would be great for the game.

My belief is that video replays should be limited to just showing the highlights (goals, near misses etc.) rather than people in front of a tv screen trying to point out mistakes by match officials.

The refs get paid more than enough to accept this.

Did the ref award the pen because the assistant flagged? I would forget the angle the incident was filmed from. Right or wrong, a decision was made based on what the assistant saw. Watching from the Callington Road side, it appeared to be a speedy mistimed rash attempt to win the ball but only making contact with the Saltash players leg.

29 minutes ago, motherwontletmegoargyle said:

Did the ref award the pen because the assistant flagged? I would forget the angle the incident was filmed from. Right or wrong, a decision was made based on what the assistant saw. Watching from the Callington Road side, it appeared to be a speedy mistimed rash attempt to win the ball but only making contact with the Saltash players leg.

Absolutely correct, unless you are standing where they are... yours is only an opinion. 

Whereas the referee will always be correct imo. 

Simple solution to all the controversies.... is to become a referee. 

Then you will always be correct as well. 

6 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Absolutely correct, unless you are standing where they are... yours is only an opinion. 

Whereas the referee will always be correct imo. 

Simple solution to all the controversies.... is to become a referee. 

Then you will always be correct as well. 

always funny when people say "the referee is always right", as in this instance, hes absolutely wrong. It wasnt a penalty... and to make such a decision, the ref should be in a better position

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

The refs get paid more than enough to accept this.

how much do they get paid?

35 minutes ago, SCFC said:

always funny when people say "the referee is always right", as in this instance, hes absolutely wrong. It wasnt a penalty... and to make such a decision, the ref should be in a better position

after watching the video, i don't feel the referee's position is bad at all.

3 minutes ago, Mr Mo said:

after watching the video, i don't feel the referee's position is bad at all.

i didnt think it was bad myself, it was in response to the above comment saying it is only clearly not a penalty when stood where the video is filmed...

2 hours ago, SCFC said:

Or standing where you were, or have the benefit of hindsight..... and a video playback. 

I've seen referees get things wrong in my opinion, but that is all it is, an opinion. 

If he/she gives a penalty, or whatever... that's what it is. 

28 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Or standing where you were, or have the benefit of hindsight..... and a video playback. 

I've seen referees get things wrong in my opinion, but that is all it is, an opinion. 

If he/she gives a penalty, or whatever... that's what it is. 

very easy to sit in an armchair and say all that rubbish, but when poor decisions are costing you points week in week out, its not so easy to take.

Unfortunately with this decision, there is no opinion, its facts, that was never a penalty in anyone's book.

With reference to "the old days" without technology etc, absolutely right, however, we've got to move with the times. More and more people are filming games to make it more accessible to those who travel, therefore, controversial decisions will be recorded and discussed. Nothing else happens other than a discussion/debate, the ref may or may not see it, but the game is over, the result was 2-2 and thats it.

Do you not think , that if the ref watched the video he might learn something from it ? Was he 100% sure or did the Lino influence him , was his positioning right , did the Saltash bench , who were giving him grief for 10 mins over other decisions have any affect. He might still think it’s a penalty ??‍♂️  Not saying it was anything above but if he has watched it , it might help in future . 

51 minutes ago, Fanfare said:

You wouldn't expect them to do it for nothing?!

They always say its the love of the game - what a load of rubbish !

1 hour ago, Barca said:

Involved with a club in this league, we usually pay £120 per Home game for officials. Ref normally gets £70 with expenses plus refreshments. Not commenting on that just providing facts as lot of misinformation on here. 

Most times, that is probably the gate money - daylight robbery ! 

1 hour ago, Northernmonkey said:

I spoke to a referee today on the SWP Div 1 West. He says he will pick up £42 For the game. 

He said he left his house at 12.30 and will be home at 7 o'clock. That's £42 for 6 and a half hours work. 

That's £6.46 an hour!!

I wouldn't say that is daylight robbery

Take off the money for fuel and it’s even less!

On 24/08/2018 at 17:29, BIG AL said:

£35 too much !

Why do you say that? Do you think we should get less? 

I spoke to a referee today on the SWP Div 1 West. He says he will pick up £42 For the game. 

He said he left his house at 12.30 and will be home at 7 o'clock. That's £42 for 6 and a half hours work. 

That's £6.46 an hour!!

This is very True....

I love the game and do it for that reason but a fee is involved. Sometimes on Contrib line I can get picked up at 10:30 am and return at 9pm for £34 .... 

Lets not debate about How much a Ref gets paid.. Is this site about debating south west football??

6 minutes ago, pillatonreferee said:

Why do you say that? Do you think we should get less? 

This is very True....

I love the game and do it for that reason but a fee is involved. Sometimes on Contrib line I can get picked up at 10:30 am and return at 9pm for £34 .... 

Lets not debate about How much a Ref gets paid.. Is this site about debating south west football??

You get travelling expenses !

On 24/08/2018 at 15:45, Tribute said:

Do you not think , that if the ref watched the video he might learn something from it ? Was he 100% sure or did the Lino influence him , was his positioning right , did the Saltash bench , who were giving him grief for 10 mins over other decisions have any affect. He might still think it’s a penalty ??‍♂️  Not saying it was anything above but if he has watched it , it might help in future . 

What video? There is nothing to say  SWPL teams have to video matches. It's  down to the referree  on the day to decide what happens. But I suppose  with the ridiculous  amount of money being splashed around by certain  teams the tantrums  will continue  if they  don't  get the right  result ?

12 hours ago, BIG AL said:

You get travelling expenses !

You  epitomise what is wrong with football “supporters” world wide.........moan moan moan......mainly on social media........fishing for comments, likes and  reactions.

your seem like a very sad  lonely old man who just needs a hug!

Before we get into and ‘arse kicking’ contest - in answer to the original post, I actually think it is a good thing to see match videos, goals, skills and mistakes - it adds to the supporters enjoyment. 

Officials, for me, are an integral part of the game (yes I know we all say that we can’t play without them) but when I watch a game I am watching 22 players, 3 officials and often the bench (more so with some teams) - all contribute to the match day. 

Decisions balance out and whilst it is frustrating that some teams ‘seem’ to get more decisions and often that’s the top or more verbally ‘aggressive’ teams - it’s football. 

Some teams have poor days and so do some Refs - I think refs accept that and if they have a ‘howler’ they know it themselves so should not fear videos, they can help with learning, assessing (normally when I see a Ref being personally assessed they don’t have their best games - so a video may help) and could show good decisions as well. 

Too many slag off officials or automatically jump to their defence, even when the official made a mistake - just treat them the same as the other participants. 

On a slight aside most officials in this league get paid more than the majority of players who have the same travel and time commitments, not saying that is wrong as we need more officials but as it’s all for the love of the game often in cup matches the three officials cost the club more then the teams playing ‘expences’ -  just a thought for some officials. 

14 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Before we get into and ‘arse kicking’ contest - in answer to the original post, I actually think it is a good thing to see match videos, goals, skills and mistakes - it adds to the supporters enjoyment. 

Officials, for me, are an integral part of the game (yes I know we all say that we can’t play without them) but when I watch a game I am watching 22 players, 3 officials and often the bench (more so with some teams) - all contribute to the match day. 

Decisions balance out and whilst it is frustrating that some teams ‘seem’ to get more decisions and often that’s the top or more verbally ‘aggressive’ teams - it’s football. 

Some teams have poor days and so do some Refs - I think refs accept that and if they have a ‘howler’ they know it themselves so should not fear videos, they can help with learning, assessing (normally when I see a Ref being personally assessed they don’t have their best games - so a video may help) and could show good decisions as well. 

Too many slag off officials or automatically jump to their defence, even when the official made a mistake - just treat them the same as the other participants. 

On a slight aside most officials in this league get paid more than the majority of players who have the same travel and time commitments, not saying that is wrong as we need more officials but as it’s all for the love of the game often in cup matches the three officials cost the club more then the teams playing ‘expences’ -  just a thought for some officials. 

I find that hard to see. Even if players only got £15 each that is the same as the maximum amount all three can charge together. And I’m sure most pay more than £15 “expenses” for each game.

8 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

I find that hard to see. Even if players only got £15 each that is the same as the maximum amount all three can charge together. And I’m sure most pay more than £15 “expenses” for each game.

BHD - you would be surprised then. Lots play for 15 or less - proper expences - it’s only ever the ‘big’ money that’s talked about on the forum. 

My main point was about officials being integral to the game tough - not about how much they are worth. 

21 hours ago, Northernmonkey said:

That's £6.46 an hour!!

Do you get paid travelling to and from work for your day job???

5 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Do you get paid travelling to and from work for your day job???

I was purely stating facts but now based upon your logic I see things far more clearly.

£33 for an hour and a half work is £22 an hour... your right that's day light robbery!!

Especially with the fact referees must train midweek, keep up to date with law changes, spend time away from their families in their free time and have to control 22 aggressive grown men for 90 mins.

I now see what you are all saying!! Referees are clearly blood sucking parasites that we can all do without. Those 22 players don't need anyone impartial. I'm sure like gentlemen they can work things out and play within the laws of the game.

18 minutes ago, Northernmonkey said:

I was purely stating facts but now based upon your logic I see things far more clearly.

£33 for an hour and a half work is £22 an hour... your right that's day light robbery!!

Especially with the fact referees must train midweek, keep up to date with law changes, spend time away from their families in their free time and have to control 22 aggressive grown men for 90 mins.

I now see what you are all saying!! Referees are clearly blood sucking parasites that we can all do without. Those 22 players don't need anyone impartial. I'm sure like gentlemen they can work things out and play within the laws of the game.

Don’t forget reports and admin after the game. What about the warm-up pre-match. Is that free too?

34 minutes ago, Northernmonkey said:

EXACTLY!  How often do they train,they can simply keep up with rule changes because there are ever any changes. How much time away from families very little. So I reckon they are on a damn good deal. Are the fees taxable - they should be because it is earned income.

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

If your arse is low enough.

Never wrong, or never right.... matter do it? 

It always has done to me.

24 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

EXACTLY!  How often do they train,they can simply keep up with rule changes because there are ever any changes. How much time away from families very little. So I reckon they are on a damn good deal. Are the fees taxable - they should be because it is earned income.

You are so misinformed, it's laughable!

Refs deserve every penny they get , the higher up the bigger match fee as it should be ,  they have to be assessed to progress  ,  it is easy to criticise  on social media but the ones that do , would they have the bottle or football knowledge  to stand in the middle , and how many who have a pop hide behind aliases  , there are so many  keyboard warriors or armchair critics  but it is easy to hide behind a screen a lot different to stand in the middle and everyone knows your name .

2 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

You are so misinformed, it's laughable!

Have to past fitness  tests Big Al  to progress  , meetings on  feedback  from games  , I was lucky to be invited to a ref meeting and it was an eye opener , they have tests question and answer section,  and all for free  ,   just so twenty two men  can play the game we supposedly  all love  .

36 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Well I suppose everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, I disagree with your comments. 

No need to go off on one!i just said you don’t get paid for travelling to work. 

It’s your choice to referee, you’re not made to do it.  You’re getting paid to do a job you want to do. Would you do it for free???

I admire most who do it as they do it to give ensure a game of football is played.  But there are some that spoil it for others!!  

33 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Refs deserve every penny they get , the higher up the bigger match fee as it should be ,  they have to be assessed to progress  ,  it is easy to criticise  on social media but the ones that do , would they have the bottle or football knowledge  to stand in the middle , and how many who have a pop hide behind aliases  , there are so many  keyboard warriors or armchair critics  but it is easy to hide behind a screen a lot different to stand in the middle and everyone knows your name .

Have to past fitness  tests Big Al  to progress  , meetings on  feedback  from games  , I was lucky to be invited to a ref meeting and it was an eye opener , they have tests question and answer section,  and all for free  ,   just so twenty two men  can play the game we supposedly  all love  .

A pub quiz I presume ! I would willingly do the job for the rate they get paid if I was young enough - obviously a missed opportunity !

Big Al, this Saturday I came home with £16.50 in my pocket after the game, I admit I bought a pint after the game, I left home at 13.00 hrs returned at 17.30 but it doesn’t end there, I have to sit in front of my pc and fill out a match report also my kit needed washing this includes my boots needed cleaning. Also throughout the season I attend RA meetings once a month and occasionally meetings at the CCFA hq in Bodmin which is a 60 mile round trip and yes my pockets are bulging with my earnings, I think not , referees do not do it for the money they do for the game they love.