Cornwall Football Forum

Match Programme no longer!

It is a shame if programmes are not being done, as there are collectors and readers - but it is always difficult to try and get people to do one - its a most unenviable task. I never criticize a clubs programme as the people that do it work very hard on them, even though some supporters may think its  not  worth it. Having done a programme for many years and then seen others do it as well, it is difficult to get all the information out, articles to get in, edit and print it. I am full of praise for those who try to produce a readable document. The £20 fine for non production is less than the cost of producing one. Yet again its down to those true supporters of local football and their individual clubs, the few volunteers who work so hard.

2 hours ago, Darin Morse said:

Anybody else find that some club websites and twitter and facebook accounts are just not kept sufficiently up to date, particularly (but not exclusively), with details of upcoming friendlies?

That's what happens when you rely on volunteers. Unfortunately there's only so much that volunteers can do

9 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

It's not social media Fanfare - the club wrote it in their own free programme produced for last night's game!

I meant trying to find out news about clubs on social media isn't easy. A lot of club websites and Twitter accounts start off with good intentions but a bad start to a season and interest and updates start to wain 

On 09/08/2018 at 22:17, The Windmill On The Shirt said:

Being in the printing industry and editor of Torpoint Athletic’s Programme. Another nail in the coffin for the printers. You can’t beat a good programme at a match.

Yes - a good programme is excellent at matches - it does help though if the firm you work for supplies the time, the printing and the paper.  Unfortunately hardly any other clubs have this luxury.  It is sad but local football is getting more and more expensive and beyond the reach of some now.

4 hours ago, Home Waters said:

Yes - a good programme is excellent at matches - it does help though if the firm you work for supplies the time, the printing and the paper.  Unfortunately hardly any other clubs have this luxury.  It is sad but local football is getting more and more expensive and beyond the reach of some now.

Local football is getting more and more expensive yet the club's still find crazy money to pay players who are bang average big money. Trim that back and the program is no issue at all. 

4 hours ago, Home Waters said:

That is very true. We are very, very lucky that my work sponsors the Programme and prints it for free. It gives me a free hand to design my dream programme!

11 hours ago, The Windmill On The Shirt said:

That is very true. We are very, very lucky that my work sponsors the Programme and prints it for free. It gives me a free hand to design my dream programme!

I like Torpoint's programmes but don't like the way the number 13 is given over to a nickname, sometimes not even the nickname of the club(s) involved. Best to leave that out to allow for the writing in if the typical sub whose name wasn't supplied by the opposition!

On 09/08/2018 at 12:34, Home Waters said:

It is a shame if programmes are not being done, as there are collectors and readers - but it is always difficult to try and get people to do one - its a most unenviable task. I never criticize a clubs programme as the people that do it work very hard on them, even though some supporters may think its  not  worth it. Having done a programme for many years and then seen others do it as well, it is difficult to get all the information out, articles to get in, edit and print it. I am full of praise for those who try to produce a readable document. The £20 fine for non production is less than the cost of producing one. Yet again its down to those true supporters of local football and their individual clubs, the few volunteers who work so hard.

I enjoy collating stats etc... which is good for programmes to keep up to date with. I did this 2016/17 i think on this forum when I was last on here with scores, attendances etc...

Regards to some club managers communication these days is via social media or text message, so sending a manager a couple of questions on the previous game and then couple questions on the next home game ahead surely can just be edited and it would not take 7 days to edit, unless of course you have a saturday, tuesday schedule of home games.

As for printing though it is a hard job like you say Robbie. But if you have someone like you who can do the editing, do the printing all together then it would be easier. Like you said you can't be a good programme.