Cornwall Football Forum

Western league standard.

Parkway by far the better team in this game and played some good football considering the conditions, the lad Krac again impressive for me.

Credit to Cadbury Heath though, horror journey on a weekday and combined with the awful conditions they never gave up but the difference in class was evident to see. Teams 7th place and below are average at very best.

Would say Parkway nailed on for a top 4 finish judging by this performance.

1 hour ago, THE BALD ONE said:

Wellington - bottom half .

Equal worst pasties ever grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  and horrid sloping pitch.

Went there many years ago, am I right in remembering that they play on the outfield of a cricket ground? Seem to recall that they the floodlights were on wheels as well.

Anyway, another good midweek away win. Argyle are away on Saturday and a warm early spring day is forecast, so Bolitho should be jumping for the game against leaders Willand.

29 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Went there many years ago, am I right in remembering that they play on the outfield of a cricket ground? Seem to recall that they the floodlights were on wheels as well.

Anyway, another good midweek away win. Argyle are away on Saturday and a warm early spring day is forecast, so Bolitho should be jumping for the game against leaders Willand.

Will you be joining us Sir ?

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

So Bald One, the big question.  With only one match remaining before Parkway have played everybody twice, how do the two leagues compare. Is the Western League Premier a higher overall standard than the SW Peninsula Premier?

For what its worth WOTP I think the overall standard is higher. This season has proven that if you are not at your best and 100% committed, you will get beaten. Sadly there is always going to be teams that finish in the bottom but I can assure you, the likes of Shortwood Utd who are a great club and for their own reasons had to step a step down but they will recover and in time will be in the upper reaches of the division. There are some teams that are content with playing at this level and have, for whatever reason, have no ambition to go higher, be this geographical location or financial backing.  As with most leagues you will get the top middle and bottom thirds and this is no different. I would certainly say that the top third of the SWPL teams will hold their own. Its been shown on many occasions, especially in the FA Vase and FA Cup that SWPL teams do well against the Western League sides...Just look at what St Austell did to Parkway earlier in the season.  The style of football is different. Most clubs will not let you play nice tippy tappy football...its hard in ya face football where if you make a mistake you will be punished. Hopefully with the change of formats for the league SWPL teams will take the plunge and not let the Bristol boys have it all their own way..there are good footballers in the South West who deserve to play at a higher level.

1 hour ago, RobinVanParkway said:

For what its worth WOTP I think the overall standard is higher. This season has proven that if you are not at your best and 100% committed, you will get beaten. Sadly there is always going to be teams that finish in the bottom but I can assure you, the likes of Shortwood Utd who are a great club and for their own reasons had to step a step down but they will recover and in time will be in the upper reaches of the division. There are some teams that are content with playing at this level and have, for whatever reason, have no ambition to go higher, be this geographical location or financial backing.  As with most leagues you will get the top middle and bottom thirds and this is no different. I would certainly say that the top third of the SWPL teams will hold their own. Its been shown on many occasions, especially in the FA Vase and FA Cup that SWPL teams do well against the Western League sides...Just look at what St Austell did to Parkway earlier in the season.  The style of football is different. Most clubs will not let you play nice tippy tappy football...its hard in ya face football where if you make a mistake you will be punished. Hopefully with the change of formats for the league SWPL teams will take the plunge and not let the Bristol boys have it all their own way..there are good footballers in the South West who deserve to play at a higher level.

Interesting RVP. My impression is that the middle to lower levels of the league are more competitive, and that matches against the teams at the bottom are certainly not foregone conclusions with only one real whipping boy.This is especially true at this stage of the season when sides are involved in relegation scraps.

Competing on the playing side does not tell the whole story as well. The travelling, and how you approach it, is an important factor. Parkway seem to have dealt with this, and turned this to their advantage on away days by making it a day out. Undoubtedly the presence of players used to long away trips such as Rob Farkins and Stewart Yetton has been a big help. There is also the small matters of new officials to get used to, teams and players you don't know much about and new sets of grounds. All this makes Parkway's debut season at this level even more impressive. 

Guess what I am saying is to agree that on paper, and purely looking at playing performances, then the top sides in the SWPL would compete, but it is a long season with lots of travelling involved. Your clubs organisation and preparation has to be spot on.

21 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

So Bald One, the big question.  With only one match remaining before Parkway have played everybody twice, how do the two leagues compare. Is the Western League Premier a higher overall standard than the SW Peninsula Premier?

Well WOTP ........ I think RVP has summed it up nicely. If you are not on your "A" game , you could lose very easily. The top third of the SW Peninsula Premier are more than competant enough to hold their own in the Western league.

What I have noticed about the other teams is that they nearly all have very fast wingers , a fast front man and a solid defence.

It has been a good season to see Parkway rise to the challenge. Not much at all between the top 3 or 4 teams. I think the best performance I have seen this season ( other than Parkway ) has been from Willand when they hammered us early on.

Really strange this one... CSTFC are a decent side..hard working and well organised. There league position, despite it being their highest place (10th) they have ever finished does not do them justice at all. They beat Bitton and Parkway away from home and were unlucky not to have beaten Willand at home ( 93rd minute equaliser by Mortimor)

Another fine example of the standard of football in the Western League and a decent club too

Chipping Sodbury sum up the difference between swpl and western. We all know the top sides in the swpl compare favourably with western league teams and no doubt Tavi and Exmouth will be do well next season; but if Parkway were 3-1 up against a mid table swpl team, they would end up with 5 or 6 goals. Western league has real strength in depth.