Cornwall Football Forum

Cornish Nomads - before it's too late.

The FA have to step in before it's too late.

Nobody is putting the fans first and I strongly suspect that unless something happens TCFC will not finish the season.  It could cause irreparable damage to the clubs long term future and rule book dogma is taking precedence over the game.

The FA have to recognise the geographic uniqueness of the clubs position and turn a negative into a positive.  My view is that the handful of grounds that could comfortably welcome a game at this level in the meaningful sense (Bodmin, Newquay, Saltash, Falmouth and Launceston) should be able to accommodate games and allow TCFC a nomadic existence until S4C is ready.  Instead of killing the one club capable of moving forward, the governing bodies could inject some excitement into the situation and help the club get through this.

As a Hemel Hempstead Town home and away fan I know this level well.  I also know every one of the grounds in the county and know while away fans might moan at the travel, they would either welcome the trip or understand the reasons.  Certainly better than having to go to Plainmoor twice.

Last night I was at Hampton & Richmond, which is a very well developed ground for sure, but is it fundamentally any different from a Penzance or St Blazey?  Not really.  Certainly not for the fans.

Then there another factor.  Nice weather at the moment.  But what about the winter when games get called off late and roads can be dangerous.  TCFC will start to haemorrhage money, fans, playing staff and goodwill.  It's just not realistic.  

Every way you look at it this current situation is just damn crazy.  Financially, practically, sportingly and competitively.  When what could happen is that a Nomadic TCFC could be quite the reverse.  It would inject some press interest while at the same time serving the local fans.  Imagine a game at say Newquay.  Now that's a lovely trip and perfectly adequate stadium.  Locals get to see the visit of a decent level team and maybe even tag along for the first time in a long while and enjoy it and come back to watch Newquay.  Why not?  Newquay would also doubtless make a few quid.  Lord knows the game in Cornwall has to try something.

Yes the refs and officials might not have their usual perks, but will they really mind?  In my experience, no.  I believe the FA and NL officials have every reason to treat this as a special case and allow it, embrace it and show themselves to be taking a modern view of the realities for semi-pro players and the fans at this level.

Maybe I can start this topic as I have no axe to grind.  I am a supporter of a far away club.  But I think it's at least an attempt at a solution before things go too far.  If anyone has any better ideas fine, but I would bet my house that TCFC will either not finish the season or be relegated in a way that embarrasses this league far more than allowing a medium term solution while the work to S4C continues.  If you do nothing the risk is S4R.  Stadium for Rugby - and a nail in the coffin of Cornish football.

playing the home games at torquay was a ridiculous move . as you said there are plenty of grounds near that could have been used , 

they barely took 50 up to torquay when i bet you would have got 2 to 300 or more if more local . 

truro seem to be going backwards . offloaded all their best players , rocky neil banging in goal after goal for taunton in pre season  no wonder the gaffer had enough 

shambles 

The problem for the FA and National League is how long will the S4C take to build. 1 year, 2 perhaps as all the money has not been found. How long would the NL give Truro, at this level a ground share with several clubs whose grounds are not up to the grade?

The NL have to draw a line and Grading is Grading so Torquay it is.

1 hour ago, Islingtonbob said:

The FA have to step in before it's too late.

Nobody is putting the fans first and I strongly suspect that unless something happens TCFC will not finish the season.  It could cause irreparable damage to the clubs long term future and rule book dogma is taking precedence over the game.

The FA have to recognise the geographic uniqueness of the clubs position and turn a negative into a positive.  My view is that the handful of grounds that could comfortably welcome a game at this level in the meaningful sense (Bodmin, Newquay, Saltash, Falmouth and Launceston) should be able to accommodate games and allow TCFC a nomadic existence until S4C is ready.  Instead of killing the one club capable of moving forward, the governing bodies could inject some excitement into the situation and help the club get through this.

As a Hemel Hempstead Town home and away fan I know this level well.  I also know every one of the grounds in the county and know while away fans might moan at the travel, they would either welcome the trip or understand the reasons.  Certainly better than having to go to Plainmoor twice.

Last night I was at Hampton & Richmond, which is a very well developed ground for sure, but is it fundamentally any different from a Penzance or St Blazey?  Not really.  Certainly not for the fans.

Then there another factor.  Nice weather at the moment.  But what about the winter when games get called off late and roads can be dangerous.  TCFC will start to haemorrhage money, fans, playing staff and goodwill.  It's just not realistic.  

Every way you look at it this current situation is just damn crazy.  Financially, practically, sportingly and competitively.  When what could happen is that a Nomadic TCFC could be quite the reverse.  It would inject some press interest while at the same time serving the local fans.  Imagine a game at say Newquay.  Now that's a lovely trip and perfectly adequate stadium.  Locals get to see the visit of a decent level team and maybe even tag along for the first time in a long while and enjoy it and come back to watch Newquay.  Why not?  Newquay would also doubtless make a few quid.  Lord knows the game in Cornwall has to try something.

Yes the refs and officials might not have their usual perks, but will they really mind?  In my experience, no.  I believe the FA and NL officials have every reason to treat this as a special case and allow it, embrace it and show themselves to be taking a modern view of the realities for semi-pro players and the fans at this level.

Maybe I can start this topic as I have no axe to grind.  I am a supporter of a far away club.  But I think it's at least an attempt at a solution before things go too far.  If anyone has any better ideas fine, but I would bet my house that TCFC will either not finish the season or be relegated in a way that embarrasses this league far more than allowing a medium term solution while the work to S4C continues.  If you do nothing the risk is S4R.  Stadium for Rugby - and a nail in the coffin of Cornish football.

Great idea Bob, but can you really see either the FA or the National League showing any interest or sympathy?

To be clear I was not trying to suggest any of this was FA's fault, or the NL's fault.  Its pretty clear TCFC have got themselves into a bind - but that doesnt mean they dont need some help PDQ.

I wouldnt actually put it past the FA to investigate this and come up with some pragmatic answers.  The idea TCFC could be allowed to compete at a ground with a lower grading inside their own county is pretty easy to pass - if they want to.  That then allows the Cornish FA to get involved, see who is interested.

One of the main issues would be lights.  Its a different lux reading for this level and I doubt anyone in Cornwall has it.  Its a not an unsolvable problem as temporary lights can work, but I would expect its something the league would want done.  But where there is a will....

2 hours ago, Islingtonbob said:

To be clear I was not trying to suggest any of this was FA's fault, or the NL's fault.  Its pretty clear TCFC have got themselves into a bind - but that doesnt mean they dont need some help PDQ.

I wouldnt actually put it past the FA to investigate this and come up with some pragmatic answers.  The idea TCFC could be allowed to compete at a ground with a lower grading inside their own county is pretty easy to pass - if they want to.  That then allows the Cornish FA to get involved, see who is interested.

One of the main issues would be lights.  Its a different lux reading for this level and I doubt anyone in Cornwall has it.  Its a not an unsolvable problem as temporary lights can work, but I would expect its something the league would want done.  But where there is a will....

Average lux reading at Penryn 240 good enough for anyone.

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

truro seem to be going backwards . offloaded all their best players , rocky neil banging in goal after goal for taunton in pre season  no wonder the gaffer had enough 

shambles 

Agree that Rocky's departure was disappointing, but he was criminally underused by Hodges last season and therefore it is no surprise that he would want to move to a club where he can expect to play more regularly.

Last season, even when every supporter in the ground could see that games were crying out for a fast, skilful attacker who could run riot against a lumbering and tiring defence, Hodges had a habit of persisting with unedifying long ball tactics, which did our decent squad of players a massive disservice in my opinion.

Top goalscorer in his first season at NLS level to an occasional role in second season - surely responsibility for Rocky's departure lies as much at the ex-manager's door as anyone else's?

Edited by Burto
Changed manager to ex-manager!