Cornwall Football Forum

New inn Titans 4-2 Holman Reserves

Good hustle and bustle (is that a word!!!) down at Illogan park in a spirited pre-season friendly. Bit of a disaster at the start due to lack of toilet roll but once that issue was overcome with a pair of spare socks it was game on ?

still getting to know my new team mates so half are still referred to as ‘mate’ however they are a friendly bunch and although I have been at the club longer then some have been alive we all seem to be getting along swell.......well apart from my screw up for the 3rd goal but hey why change the habit of a lifetime.

The rain over the weekend changed the surface considerably from rock hard granite to just pure concrete so that was a bonus however no one dared any 15ft sliders due to a fear of overnight sticky sheets and a skin graft at barncoose A+E. New Inn Titans (NIT) had the wind 1st half and after 15min took the lead from a punt over the top but from the angle I was looking at looked a tad offside however I think Francos daughter who was running the line for us was distracted by an update on her phone about ? ? so must have understandably missed it.

pleasingly we hung on in there and had a few chances and probably should have converted a couple but were finally rewarded with an equaliser but I can’t remember who scored it as I was probably just glad to have a rest as the ball was down the other end of the pitch and I was blowing out my backside at 1-1

NIT undoubtedly have some handy players in their side and their number 11 who I will refer to as ‘butterbean’ was having a grand old time pulling all the strings till we told Grasso to go and annoy him but they were creating some good stuff and earned a 2nd goal to go in 2-1 up at half time.

2nd half both sides had chances and a few controversial moments involving back passes and free kicks but all in all nobody came away with any nasty fines. Ivey & Keeno felt we needed a bit more possession in our last 3rd when I say possession I mean let’s take on 4 players and try a few Hail Marys and hope we don’t get dispossessed.......we got dispossessed!!!  So that was occasionally troublesome and I screwed up for their third goal thinking in the words of the great Louis Armstrong “we got all the time in the world” and I didn’t and was left with that sinking titanic feeling trying to look around and blame someone else......like goalies do but realising maybe yes I’m a horses arse 3-1 and a few minutes later a 4th sealed it for the home side but Matt &Grasso kept plugging away in midfield and released Tom to slot home a deserved 2nd for us. Before the end Gibbo in goal managed to pick up his 12th injury of the game we may have to call Lee majors and rebuild him like the 6 million dollar man although that was a 70’s show so with inflation and brexit that price has probably risen to 6 billion so some freeze spray and a pint of Guinness will have to do instead.

good luck to Trooners side for the season I’m sure they will do well and for us a defeat but lots of positives before the big kick off away to PZ next month on the 18th