Cornwall Football Forum

Ludgvan Appoint New Manager

We are very pleased to announce that Anthony Reynolds is the newly appointed Manager of Ludgvan's South West Peninsula team for the forth coming season. He will be working with newly appointed Director of Football, Anthony Hosking to further strengthen the Hurlers squad for another competitve season ahead. Wishing both guys all the very best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of the 'magic roundabout of players between clubs in West Cornwall', Ludgvan kept the same group of players together for a number of seasons and many of those that played in our lone Trelawny Premier season were part of the side that came second (and to be honest probably would have won it had it not been for the many weather-related postponements and subsequent fixture backlog) in the SWPL West last year.

This was predominantly a group of friends who enjoyed playing together and while I'm sure they did earn some money doing so, I don't believe it was the be-all-and-end-all like it is for some local footballers. The reason the players have left all at once is largely unknown to me as they've have not all gone to one club. In some cases I'm sure they've been offered substantial sums of money but in others they've dropped back down a level, while a few have gone/are going travelling so aren't playing at all.

Literally one player from last season is left (huge credit to him for sticking around), meaning that Renno had to build a squad from scratch in a couple of weeks - a task that ultimately proved too difficult.

It's really disappointing not to be able to see the Hurlers build upon their success last season as I know the club was looking to advance further in the long run. I'd imagine that unless someone steps in at the twelfth hour, the Reserves (in Trelawny 2) will be Ludgvan's only side next year.

Another exam of why ambition is no use to any club down here. Clubs, players do not realise how many rely on one person to be bringing players in. Players don’t play for a ‘club’ the majority of the time. They’ll play for a manager. When that man goes the players go. 

On 29/07/2018 at 20:13, Sijames said:

He's making some great signings, from Trelawny 2/3....! ?

Well I can't believe those players from last seasons squad would of been impressed either with the 'quality' signings! From what I've seen Mr Reynolds doesn't stay anywhere for too long, realised he may of had to actually manage a side and get the best out of a below par squad and took the easy option of chucking the towel in! 

Ludvgan have been here before mind you, they'll be ok, a step back to go forwards is sometimes best!