Cornwall Football Forum

England 2018

Let's face it, we were pretty hopeless. We beat three desperately poor sides, with two deserved defeats and a draw against half decent ones. Kane confirmed he's nothing but a flat-track bully: 3 penalties, 2 tap-ins and a fluke against defenders who wouldn't get in Foxhole's team, but nothing when we really needed it. He and our other less than ruthless superstars created next to nothing: how many actual saves did the respective 'keepers of Belgium, Colombia and Croatia need to make against us? And how bad a player must Danny Rose be if he isn't as good as Ashley Young, who must surely be a candidate for England's worst ever player? 

On a side issue, any potential manufacturing of results in order to enter a supposed more favourable half of the draw could easily be avoided by drawing the countries out of a hat, FA Cup style, after each round. I'd also like to see this format adopted for the group stage draw i.e. abandoning seeding and the various restrictions imposed on who can play who.

26 minutes ago, Darin Morse said:

Let's face it, we were pretty hopeless. We beat three desperately poor sides, with two deserved defeats and a draw against half decent ones. Kane confirmed he's nothing but a flat-track bully: 3 penalties, 2 tap-ins and a fluke against defenders who wouldn't get in Foxhole's team, but nothing when we really needed it. He and our other less than ruthless superstars created next to nothing: how many actual saves did the respective 'keepers of Belgium, Colombia and Croatia need to make against us? And how bad a player must Danny Rose be if he isn't as good as Ashley Young, who must surely be a candidate for England's worst ever player? 

On a side issue, any potential manufacturing of results in order to enter a supposed more favourable half of the draw could easily be avoided by drawing the countries out of a hat, FA Cup style, after each round. I'd also like to see this format adopted for the group stage draw i.e. abandoning seeding and the various restrictions imposed on who can play who.

Darren is of course a Sunderland supporter !!!!!!!!!!! he knows only to well what is to be 'pretty hopeless'.

Home Park awaits for 'the black cats'.

I wondered the same thing as regards the lack of comments  about the world cup ,  steveb . I thought that as many Cornish people don't regard themselves as English and Cornwall didn't qualify for it , there was no interest in it .

The media seem to regard it as one of the best  tournaments ever .  .I didn't watch many games but 2 things struck me . It highlighted just how weak the authorities are by not clamping down on protesting in order to get a VAR review and also the other forms of cheating , diving etc.  This would have been a good opportunity to introduce VAR ( if they must !! ) and enforce the rules more .

Secondly , I thought that  the Prima donnas , Neymar , Ronaldo and Messi   and  others exposed themselves as cheats and frauds . It seemed to me that these players are so powerful within their teams that they dictate everything that goes on ,  to the detriment of the team . I may be wrong but is it a coincidence that these players teams were eliminated early ?

I think Southgate has built a reasonably good team and seems to be the best English team manager for many , many years  . . As for the players , thankfully we don't seem to have many prima donnas  but at the same time there's something missing  in the team . There doesn't seem to be the expectancy of a Bobby Charlton swerve and sudden burst to the edge of the area followed by a rocket shot .

Darin has a good point. If the group winners were placed in one pot and the runners up in the other, it would eliminate the predictability of plotting the ideal route.

If two teams finished with identical records, lots would be drawn. If the bigwigs were in a room to do that they might as well draw the second round while they are at it.