Cornwall Football Forum

Having recently taken over at Porthleven Ladies it has come to light that certain ladies were being offered financial incentives to play last season. This was not sanctioned by the club or even known about.

It's also seems that approaches were made to other players at other clubs. We whole heartily apologise for this and it again was done without the club's knowledge. 

On the bright side the gentleman concerned is no longer associated with Porthleven AFC.

Don't worry though if there are any ladies looking to earn a few quid he is still offering else where. 

TRUELY SHOCKING.......some may say it's sour grapes on our part. You know what I wouldn't blame you.

Hopefully his new team realise what's going on. Perhaps like us behind their backs......rant over.

2 hours ago, Big Breakfast said:

Having recently taken over at Porthleven Ladies it has come to light that certain ladies were being offered financial incentives to play last season. This was not sanctioned by the club or even known about.

It's also seems that approaches were made to other players at other clubs. We whole heartily apologise for this and it again was done without the club's knowledge. 

On the bright side the gentleman concerned is no longer associated with Porthleven AFC.

Don't worry though if there are any ladies looking to earn a few quid he is still offering else where. 

TRUELY SHOCKING.......some may say it's sour grapes on our part. You know what I wouldn't blame you.

Hopefully his new team realise what's going on. Perhaps like us behind their backs......rant over.

Is this the same Porthleven side who finished 8th out of 11?

Obviously wasted any money if he did! 

I agree Dave the players can’t be blamed. 

Bigbreakfast I watched a lot of ladies football last season and I think there’s is a lot of passion, loyalty and commitment shown by the ladies, however I think as always a few will spoil it for the others.

Its quite sad that women s football at grass roots level is going the same way as men's football. Money means everything it will come to a sticky end. Let's play for enjoyment not financial reward Its not about the money you pay but the quality you attract. Good coaching can turn average players into good players but not great players that needs ability and dedication

3 hours ago, PORT1 said:

I agree Dave the players can’t be blamed. 

Bigbreakfast I watched a lot of ladies football last season and I think there’s is a lot of passion, loyalty and commitment shown by the ladies, however I think as always a few will spoil it for the others.

I think perhaps my post wasn't worded as well as it should have been. I have already seem a lot of passion and loyalty but it still staggers me that someone is throwing his money at it.

Cosy, it was pointed out quite early on and nothing done about it.  We lost 8 of our starting 11 to Port and they have now in the majority moved on elsewhere apart from 1 or 2.  Tbh although we lost heavily the atmosphere was incredible without those players with us.  £20-40 a game we were told by players from other clubs who had been offered it.  The committee at Port must take some of the responsibility instead of just saying “it’s not coming from the club” when asked.

52 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Cosy, it was pointed out quite early on and nothing done about it.  We lost 8 of our starting 11 to Port and they have now in the majority moved on elsewhere apart from 1 or 2.  Tbh although we lost heavily the atmosphere was incredible without those players with us.  £20-40 a game we were told by players from other clubs who had been offered it.  The committee at Port must take some of the responsibility instead of just saying “it’s not coming from the club” when asked.

Scooby, I can totally understand your frustration when your whole team leaves, it happens everywhere, every season, 9 times out of 10 for money, as we know, however, & this is no disrespect to any lady footballers out there, I never thought it would happen in ladies football in Cornwall. However, once again, someone is prepared to put their hand in their pocket & pay players. No matter how much you say the club should have stopped it, it’s a difficult thing to do. The only way the club may have been able to have stopped it, had they had the facts it was happening & not just someone spreading a rumour, would have been to sack the man concerned & possibly, now this has all come to light, they regret not doing that. The man concerned has now left the club & I can comprehensively say, no lady players are being paid to play for Porthleven AFC.

36 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Farcical at this level! If true I'd have to think what the budget was for the men's team down there?!

cant blame the players though if someone's silly enough to offer it to them. 

Once again Sijames, you have opened your mouth without knowing the facts.

The money was paid to the girls by a individual, NOT, Porthleven AFC .

im really hoping that at some stage throughout this coming season, you will actually try to find out the truth BEFORE you open your gob. ?

Kev,  it was pointed out on more than one occasion buddy.  The team were also charged for illegally approaching a Wadebridge player and I believe it was also stated as part of that.  I feel a blind eye was turned and now the club finds itself on the receiving end of exactly what they did last season.  

Totally understand it is a new regime, I hope lessons are learned and we go back to some sense of normality.

My daughter started at Port last season & unfortunately moved onto Illogan where she enjoyed every minute however with the ex manager now at Illogan she has happily returned to what is one of my favoured clubs & hers in her first season last year with exceptionally nice people & players back at Port. Porthleven as a club hold no responsibility whatsoever for what there ex manager did. All I will say is god help the man when he upsets LESTER at Illogan ?

24 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Kev,  it was pointed out on more than one occasion buddy.  The team were also charged for illegally approaching a Wadebridge player and I believe it was also stated as part of that.  I feel a blind eye was turned and now the club finds itself on the receiving end of exactly what they did last season.  

Totally understand it is a new regime, I hope lessons are learned and we go back to some sense of normality.

Scooby I apologised for what happened and in all honesty it had nothing to do with me. I said some would see it as sour grapes and I wouldn't blame them.

Those with the most to blame have now departed and normality has returned, to this club at least.

I do know the only money changing hands now is when I buy a beer. If ur lucky and catch me on a good day (sorry really good day) I might stand you one as well m8.

All the best Cozy.

7 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Scooby, I can totally understand your frustration when your whole team leaves, it happens everywhere, every season, 9 times out of 10 for money, as we know, however, & this is no disrespect to any lady footballers out there, I never thought it would happen in ladies football in Cornwall. However, once again, someone is prepared to put their hand in their pocket & pay players. No matter how much you say the club should have stopped it, it’s a difficult thing to do. The only way the club may have been able to have stopped it, had they had the facts it was happening & not just someone spreading a rumour, would have been to sack the man concerned & possibly, now this has all come to light, they regret not doing that. The man concerned has now left the club & I can comprehensively say, no lady players are being paid to play for Porthleven AFC.

Once again Sijames, you have opened your mouth without knowing the facts.

The money was paid to the girls by a individual, NOT, Porthleven AFC .

im really hoping that at some stage throughout this coming season, you will actually try to find out the truth BEFORE you open your gob. ?

An individual, not by porthleven, what sort of shambles of a committee knowingly allow this to happen? Don't try and shift the blame to this 'individual', it's the club to blame end of!

Anyway it didn't take you long to go crawling back with your tail between your legs did it, I'm surprised they allowed you back!

59 minutes ago, Sijames said:

An individual, not by porthleven, what sort of shambles of a committee knowingly allow this to happen? Don't try and shift the blame to this 'individual', it's the club to blame end of!

Anyway it didn't take you long to go crawling back with your tail between your legs did it, I'm surprised they allowed you back!

Are you that nieve to think that committees actually know when a individual decides they want to put their hand in their pockets & give someone £20 !!!

Haha. Can assure you My tail is still wagging buddy. ??

1 hour ago, kevin richards said:

Are you that nieve to think that committees actually know when a individual decides they want to put their hand in their pockets & give someone £20 !!!

Haha. Can assure you My tail is still wagging buddy. ??

I think a more obviously way of putting it is are YOU or the committee as naive to think all those players came in and played for FREE!!!?? ? Get a grip

1 minute ago, Sijames said:

I think a more obviously way of putting it is are YOU or the committee as naive to think all those players came in and played for FREE!!!?? ? Get a grip

With no disrespect to the girls who came in, they finished 8th out of 11. There were certainly no England internationals amongst them. Think the man paying the money was even more naive than both of us. ?