Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Camelford 0 v 3 NEWQUAY AFC

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Recommended Posts

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Perched on the northernmost edge of Bodmin Moor, Trefrew Park, the home of Camelford FC was the latest new ground to be visited by the Newquay Loyal. The home side had made a good start to their first season at level 7 but have now suffered 3 defeats on the bounce after the Peppermints completed the double over the Camels.

A superb playing surface, a nice 50 seater stand and a covered terrace area (which proved invaluable with the wind and rain) show that Camelford are heading in the right direction, with the addition of a clubhouse, they will have one of the better grounds in the whole of the SWPL.

Camelford won the toss and decided to play with the wind blowing diagonally left to right. However, it was the visitors who took an early lead on 8mins when Liam Dingle broke down the right touchline and cut a cross along the 18 yard line for Jack Hunter to send the ball into the far right corner of the net. Newquay should have made it 2-0 after just 12mins when Dan McGee forced a corner on the right, which was swung in by Jack Hunter and Luke Wheldens header was aimed straight at the keeper. The game ebbed and flowed until the 25th min when Sam McKune lobbed a 30yd shot just wide of the right hand post. A superb throughball by McGee to Paddy Rushden running from his own half saw Newquay pour forward in search of the second goal, he ball was crossed to Jack Hunter whose shot was heading for the top right corner before being headed over for a corner. Moments later Whelden headed just wide and it was all Newquay until the 43rd min of the half when Camelford crossed the left and a fine header saved at the post by Billy Hollands legs. Just a minute later, a corner for the vistors saw a header cleared off the line. 0-1 HT.

Camelford came out and attacked Newquay early in the 2nd half and Holland had to be alert to a cross/shot. However with just 3mins of the 2nd half played, a throw on the right was met by Dingle, who crossed deep for Jack Hunter to double his and Newquays score with a fine shot that flew into the keepers near side top corner. From the restart, the Peppermints attacked again and Jimmy Vernon made a terrific save pushing the ball over the bar. The home side should have pulled a goal back on 53mins when a cross from the left side was met y a forward who managed to blaze over the bar from just 10 yards. Newquay made it 3-0 on the hour when some great work down the right culminated with McKune crossing for Whelden to head home emphatically. The last 30mins was all one way traffic and saw Hartigan blast just over the bar and Vernon forced into a double save after shots from Sam Hunter and McKune. The visitors were applauded off the pitch by the travelling fans who hope that such attractive flowing football will become a more regular spectacle.

Ref; Steve Nute (who had his best game that I can remember) Att about 70.

Newquay - Holland, Rigby, Harvey, Dean, Dart, McGee, Jack Hunter, McKune, Rushden, Liam Dingle, Luke Whelden. - Subs 70mins Hartigan for Jack HUnter 75mins Sam Hunter for Rushden.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...