Cornwall Football Forum

13 and 10 or even 14 and 9 would seem more logical now that Pensilva have folded.With 3 Cup Competitions to be played this would make enough games.NOBODY

wants to be playing after the first Saturday in May.It has to be assumed that there will be some wet weeks during the winter:so I would have thought that 20-24 league/cup

games are plenty.Also if necessary home/away could be facilitated in the 1st round of the Div.1 cup.

For me next season will be a shambles for Division 1. If the league starts with a division of 10 then 18 league games is a joke, I use to have more games at school. The league will just become another duchy league really and it will make that division a lot worse than the Prem. obviously this year is a nothing year with the changes next year, but I expect more clubs to drop ourt or fold. 

With the league structure changing next year I guess this is a free hit. I know everyone will worry that what happened next year with the weather will happen again this year. From experience I know that at least one other club will drop out just before, or a few games into the season. 

My worry is that the East Cornwall league is in danger of having a huge gap between the top of Prem and the bottom of division 1. Players in Division 1 will either go and play duchy or try and play Prem and I honestly think the division 1 league will become a nothing league. For me, making it 1 league seems the obvious route in trying to make the league a competitive, respected league. Having divisions of 14/13/12 now maybe 10 teams is to me, a joke. 

That's the very last thing they want:they will hope to re-group with youngsters.Plus what will happen to the Duchy League if there is no one in the frame to

replace Mr.Newcombe.Perhaps  CCFA will order an amalgamation.

1 hour ago, bentekkers said:

With the league structure changing next year I guess this is a free hit. I know everyone will worry that what happened next year with the weather will happen again this year. From experience I know that at least one other club will drop out just before, or a few games into the season. 

My worry is that the East Cornwall league is in danger of having a huge gap between the top of Prem and the bottom of division 1. Players in Division 1 will either go and play duchy or try and play Prem and I honestly think the division 1 league will become a nothing league. For me, making it 1 league seems the obvious route in trying to make the league a competitive, respected league. Having divisions of 14/13/12 now maybe 10 teams is to me, a joke. 

A very reasoned reply:BUT you still haven't said what YOU would do!

As I say as this year is basically a free hit I can’t see much changing. I do believe having 10 teams in the league is clearly ridiculous. I just don’t understand how the division has got into this state. Clubs clearly move on or fold all the time but teams seem to dip in and out of east cornwall. 

Next year one league 18/20 teams and that is a no brainer. This season they have to find a way where more than 18 games are being offered to teams. 

If there are too many teams for ECPL to have 1 league then stop any promotions from the Duchy until the restructure and send the bottom club from Div 1 down. Seems stupid noone seems to go down very often from Div 1 to Duchy Prem.

Actually thats unfair on the teams from Duchy that have earned the right to go up...... just relegate a couple of sides from Div 1

The leagues are in a right state arent they it needs a well thought out re structure! When it was one big league the bottom few teams were clinging to there senior status and continually voted back in. Now the leagues have been split and opened up its lost that senior feel.(some of the standard of facilities should never been in there and yet  some teams have really made a big effort to improve ) There’s been a massive geographical change in there as well with lots of Plymouth based sides when I first played there was loads of games st Dennis ,foxhole,nanpean,st Stephen,roach,probus then you would travel to grounds like wadebridge liskard launceston Callington torpoint Bodmin all great grounds .

Over time there’s been a few teams folded few been successful and some teams and lots of players who don’t want to be  a part of it .The east Cornwall league having  plymstock, elburton villa ,parkway, plympton ,lakeside they come In for a year then are gone again. 

see how many players in there mid 20s playing in the duchy leagues  who should be playing higher.Within the east Cornwall leagues you wouldn’t expect players to be getting paid but the travelling is is making it financially difficult for players to play in it

6 hours ago, Fanfare said:

Plympton have never been in but agree that the China clay cluster provided lots of derbies and not forgetting Bugle as well. It's a shame they can't start again. I prefer the East Cornwall Premier League being that but times change. 

Ah!,those were the days:never to return I'm afraid.20 years ago,the "Clay Country" was the hotbed of the ECPL(Bugle, Riviera Coasters,Foxhole et al ).The advent of the Peninsula League has put paid to all that.

I guess it certainly diluted a  strong base.

Looking below at the last 20 team season of 2005-06 about 6 went onto try SWPL football. Nothing wrong with ambition however. 3 are now in the Premier Division and no doubt will be pleased that they took the step up.

Saltash United reserves

Probus

Godolphin Atlantic

Foxhole Stars

Dobwalls

Sticker 

Wadebridge Town reserves 

Camelford

Launceston reserves

Liskeard Athletic reserves

St Dennis

Bodmin Town reserves 

Padstow United

Torpoint Athletic reserves

Callington Town reserves

Biscovey

St Stephen

Nanpean Rovers

Roche

St Cleer 

It just amazes me, not just this posting but on others, how members on this forum having a pop at Leagues on how they are being run and what they would do to rectify the problem. Last winter was horrendous with bad weather, clubs folding and team not playing fixtures. Members have got their wish to have a cornwall league.  Will it get better, time will tell. 

My point, if members think they can do a better job, then put your name forward for the vacant secretary positions at the Duchy and ECPL league. I am sure they will appreciate your knowledge and contributions. 

Nobody can argue that its a shambles to have a 10 team league. Clubs start in Duchy and have aspirations of going up and up to get to East Cornwall and then maybe in the future South Western. Each step you have to adhere to certain rules; Perimiter, lights etc... You do all that and then you are in a 13 and 10 team league. Saying step up and be and secretary or whatever is ridiculous. Everyone knows the league has been a ticking time bomb for a while. Teams dip in and out because they can and as for next year....god knows. 

Yes it's not an easy job but somebody needs to do it otherwise the league(s) cannot continue. But there are plenty of members with big ideas, can they do this, do it that way etc etc. I am sure these leagues would welcome new committe members on board with fresh ideas. 

1 hour ago, hedgerow said:

Yes it's not an easy job but somebody needs to do it otherwise the league(s) cannot continue. But there are plenty of members with big ideas, can they do this, do it that way etc etc. I am sure these leagues would welcome new committe members on board with fresh ideas. 

1 hour ago, hedgerow said:

Theres plenty of good ideas on here!  The time I do get I manage a village side thankless task.

managers get criticised and when things aren’t in order you get slapped with big fines! Think the  Ecpl committee  get off lightly....

Division One will have 18 league games. Plus at least one league cup game plus at leas two games (home and away) in the Division One Cup plus at least one game in the supplementary cup plus a game in the country cup. A minimum of 23 games.

That's why clubs have a good secretary so clubs don't get hit with massive fines. 

All round, whatever role you are involved in with a club, it is a thankless job. Personally, the FA and County FA's should look on how to make the role(s) easier for clubs, after all it is just a hobby